Have you ever doubted your fitting results?

Adam Hartzell

Yup, I'm a lefty.
Reaction score
Handicap
I had a driver fitting last Thursday. The same facility that fitted my irons back in December, but a different fitter this time. The fitter that worked on the irons was stellar. He recommended a set-up that I never even thought would work and after some range time I've never been this good with my irons. The guy that did the driver fitting is supposed to be "the guy" for driver fittings based on what I've been told.

During the driver fitting he has me hit 8 different heads with various shafts in each. I told him up front that I have no brand loyalty and what ever is going to work best is what I'm putting in the bag. After 107 swings in front of a Trackman, while hitting outdoors, I was pretty exhausted. The fitter broke down the data with me and recommended the driver/shaft combo that was based on distance first then dispersion. The winner was 28 yards longer than the next driver but dispersion was 55' left to right. The next longest driver had a dispersion of only 12', but was again 28 yards shorter than the one the fitter recommend.

After reviewing the data that the fitter emailed me, and chatting with some fellow THP members, I really can't help but feel that I was fit into the driver that could be sold to me at that time rather than one that truly was best for me, but may have to be custom ordered. I went back to the shop on Saturday and the guy that did my iron fitting was in. He was nice enough to look back over the data from both fittings and make some recommendations that were totally opposite from what was suggested during the driver fitting. So now I'm even more confused as to what driver/shaft combo I should be playing this year.

Thankfully, the fitter that worked with me on my irons is going to get me back in front of the Trackman later on this week at a highly discounted rate. I'm just bummed that I sent cash on a driver that may not be the one for me. It's a good thing the shop has a good return policy and that I've yet to hit the actual club that I purchased.

Yes. I was fitted last year, and the driver shaft that got the best numbers was a Tour AD-DI 7 X-stiff. I hit it later at another place and the numbers weren't there anymore. Decide to go with the Stiff 6 version.

I hope it works out for you and you get the best possible fit for you!

Yeah, I've had that feeling. Sorry to hear of another having it, it isn't a happy feeling.

Shortly after getting back into golf about a year and a half ago, I decided to get new clubs to replace my dusty and decades old stuff. I did my own research and read a lot on various web sites and forums and finally settled on Ping G20s. I did the static fitting through Ping's web site and had the specs they recommended in my mind, but wanted to get a "professional" fitting so I went to one of the big box golf specialty stores. Because I stated I wanted the Pings the process was no doubt streamlined, but I wasn't impressed with the job the guy did or the guy himself who struck me as being more qualified to help unload trucks in back than to do fittings. We hit a number of balls into their net, watching the results on whatever kind of launch monitor/simulator they use and he decided I was probably a good candidate for R flex shafts, which I had told him at the onset. Then we hit a few off the lie board. The mark was clearly out toward the toe with Black Dots (Pings standard lie), but the "fitter" figured it wasn't too bad which was good, because they happened to have a good supply of Black Dots in stock. I questioned him and asked if Blue Dots might not be better (+.75 I believe, and what the static fitting suggested). He conferred with one of the other staff who stroked his chin for a minute or so and then agreed that I could use the Black Dots okay. By then I was real uncomfortable and pulled the specs from the Ping site out of my pocket and told 'em to order that, which they did while explaining I would still have to pay for the "fitting" even if I didn't want to follow their advice. Do I think that guy was working real hard to make sure current stock fit? Yes I do. That or he was planning to quit that afternoon and wouldn't get paid commission on sales that hadn't been delivered.

I am quite certain that there are a lot of good fitters working for the big golf retailers because I have heard enough good stories from happy golfers here and other places. But I think there are also some really poor ones that don't really have much of a clue and are primarily concerned with making a sale rather than putting a great club in the customer's hands.

Since then I have done my homework and learned of several fitters in the area that people are pleased with. I'm lucky to have a Titleist Advanced Fitting Center not far from me that is run by a gentleman that I have developed a lot of confidence in. If the clubs listed in my signature look as though I'm a Titleist fanboy it is because I have a real good feeling about buying clubs from him. Well, it doesn't hurt that Titleist clubs are pretty great too! :act-up:

Yes. Over 10 years ago I was fitted at a Callaway fitting center. The clubs (Big Bertha irons) never felt right,and I got rid of them after one season. A later fitting at another non-OEM facility worked much better.

I'll let you know after tomorrow. Would love to say I won't but we all have our preferences....especially when it comes to shafts.

There is a lot of talk on here about going 'blind' into fittings and completely putting your golfing life in the fitters' hands. That's all good and fine, unless the fitter has an agenda or is in a hurry or simply isn't that good at what he does. It's definitely a leap of faith.
In this case I don't know that the fitter made a huge mistake. 28 yards is a massive difference in distance and I think any fitter would have a hard time recommending a combo that is that much shorter than something else.

I often doubt results like that, because my swing is not consistent enough to produce usable data. This is particularly true if I am swinging over 100 times.

I'm curious why you doubt that the longer club isn't right? Control can be taught. Distance can't.

I think part of the original situation is that the goal and expectations need to be set forth at the beginning of the session. "The one that's best" is a target that I hate hearing when starting a fitting, what is the specific goal? If It was purely hitting it further, 28 yards is huge and an easy call. Now if consistency was the goal, 55 feet is not a bad dispersion for a driver, now if it was yards I would be worried. What is the most important thing that you hangout of the switch? What would you be willing to sacrifice? Make sure that you and the fitter are on the same page first.

I know the feeling you are having. It seems you might have to high of an expectation on what a fitting can do. Its great to have clubs that fit your swing speed high and measurables, but in the end you gotta pull that club back and make it happen. its seems like he went through a ton of options with and looks to be working with to find the best set up. Its going to take time to work into new clubs, All I can say is give it time and trust the professional if you think he is legit.

It's one of the reason's why I spent a lot of time researching which fitters in my area were the best and most knowledgeable and I wasn't opposed to spending more money. I didn't really trust the fitters at Golfsmith when they constantly give me contradicting information and also I feel like they're trying to make a sale. I get where everyone is coming from though, Golf clubs are an expensive investment you want to make sure you have the right ones.

There is a lot of talk on here about going 'blind' into fittings and completely putting your golfing life in the fitters' hands. That's all good and fine, unless the fitter has an agenda or is in a hurry or simply isn't that good at what he does. It's definitely a leap of faith.
In this case I don't know that the fitter made a huge mistake. 28 yards is a massive difference in distance and I think any fitter would have a hard time recommending a combo that is that much shorter than something else.

I didn't go in completely blind. I hit every driver I could get my hands on over the weeks leading up to the fitting. I knew what "felt" best, but I had no data to back up my feelings.

I'm curious why you doubt that the longer club isn't right? Control can be taught. Distance can't.

Simply because I tend to over think things. Over the last 6-8 months, I've really been working on accuracy and not distance. From my 5i down to my 62° wedge I'm very consistent. I'm really getting there with my hybrid and 4w too. I guess I just expected more accuracy out of the driver too.

I think part of the original situation is that the goal and expectations need to be set forth at the beginning of the session. "The one that's best" is a target that I hate hearing when starting a fitting, what is the specific goal? If It was purely hitting it further, 28 yards is huge and an easy call. Now if consistency was the goal, 55 feet is not a bad dispersion for a driver, now if it was yards I would be worried. What is the most important thing that you hangout of the switch? What would you be willing to sacrifice? Make sure that you and the fitter are on the same page first.

I would always be willing to give up distance if I knew that I'd hit every fairway. Consistency is my biggest goal. Sure 28 yards is huge, but I can't help but think that I could still get that distance or slightly shorter while keeping a tighter dispersion.

I know the feeling you are having. It seems you might have to high of an expectation on what a fitting can do. Its great to have clubs that fit your swing speed high and measurables, but in the end you gotta pull that club back and make it happen. its seems like he went through a ton of options with and looks to be working with to find the best set up. Its going to take time to work into new clubs, All I can say is give it time and trust the professional if you think he is legit.

I've never been in that group that says you need time to get used to new clubs. If it doesn't work now, it won't work later. At least that is my thought.

Simply because I tend to over think things. Over the last 6-8 months, I've really been working on accuracy and not distance. From my 5i down to my 62° wedge I'm very consistent. I'm really getting there with my hybrid and 4w too. I guess I just expected more accuracy out of the driver too.

Here is my take. Do what you want with it. By no means am I saying not to question your fitting. If you're not confident and what a second opinion, go get it. That is fantastic critical thinking.

But 28 yards is HUGE. Imagine if you gave any player on the PGA Tour 28 new yards off the tee? the 55 feet dispersion is pretty darn tight. I am happy with 50 yards of left to right. If you aim down the middle of a fairway, you should hit that fairway 100% of the time, unless it's 19 yards wide. If I assume that you have 15 yard gaps between your irons (pure assumption), by going with the 12' dispersion driver that was 28 yards shorter, your adding two club lengths onto your second shot. That could mean a 9iron into a green instead of a 7i. I would take that everyday of the week and not even think about it.

I didn't go in completely blind. I hit every driver I could get my hands on over the weeks leading up to the fitting. I knew what "felt" best, but I had no data to back up my feelings.

I would always be willing to give up distance if I knew that I'd hit every fairway. Consistency is my biggest goal. Sure 28 yards is huge, but I can't help but think that I could still get that distance or slightly shorter while keeping a tighter dispersion.

Fifty five feet left to right with a driver is very good dispersion it is seven to nine yards off center in either direction, I would be hard pressed to find someone who would rather have to hit two or three clubs longer from the fairway versus two or three clubs shorter from the edge of the fairway to light rough. I'm sure there may be one combo out there that will do both, but I don't think it needs that much improvement, at some point you are going to have to work with it and get a comfort level. Hopefully they have a guarantee that allows you to try it for a period of time.

I had a driver fitting last Thursday. The same facility that fitted my irons back in December, but a different fitter this time. The fitter that worked on the irons was stellar. He recommended a set-up that I never even thought would work and after some range time I've never been this good with my irons. The guy that did the driver fitting is supposed to be "the guy" for driver fittings based on what I've been told.

During the driver fitting he has me hit 8 different heads with various shafts in each. I told him up front that I have no brand loyalty and what ever is going to work best is what I'm putting in the bag. After 107 swings in front of a Trackman, while hitting outdoors, I was pretty exhausted. The fitter broke down the data with me and recommended the driver/shaft combo that was based on distance first then dispersion. The winner was 28 yards longer than the next driver but dispersion was 55' left to right. The next longest driver had a dispersion of only 12', but was again 28 yards shorter than the one the fitter recommend.

After reviewing the data that the fitter emailed me, and chatting with some fellow THP members, I really can't help but feel that I was fit into the driver that could be sold to me at that time rather than one that truly was best for me, but may have to be custom ordered. I went back to the shop on Saturday and the guy that did my iron fitting was in. He was nice enough to look back over the data from both fittings and make some recommendations that were totally opposite from what was suggested during the driver fitting. So now I'm even more confused as to what driver/shaft combo I should be playing this year.

Thankfully, the fitter that worked with me on my irons is going to get me back in front of the Trackman later on this week at a highly discounted rate. I'm just bummed that I sent cash on a driver that may not be the one for me. It's a good thing the shop has a good return policy and that I've yet to hit the actual club that I purchased.

I've heard a lot of things from a lot of different fitters buddy -- There is no doubt that everyone has a process and it just depends what kind of day they are having.. Bottom line, you've got a guy now that you are very confident with, and I would strongly encourage you to reach out to him any time you need to get fit for a golf club.

I think a ton of being fit is about confidence in your fitter. Absolutely.

Check the JetSpeed thread - looks like 55 yards dispersion rather than 55 feet - he posted the Trackman shots.

Here is my take. Do what you want with it. By no means am I saying not to question your fitting. If you're not confident and what a second opinion, go get it. That is fantastic critical thinking.

But 28 yards is HUGE. Imagine if you gave any player on the PGA Tour 28 new yards off the tee? the 55 feet dispersion is pretty darn tight. I am happy with 50 yards of left to right. If you aim down the middle of a fairway, you should hit that fairway 100% of the time, unless it's 19 yards wide. If I assume that you have 15 yard gaps between your irons (pure assumption), by going with the 12' dispersion driver that was 28 yards shorter, your adding two club lengths onto your second shot. That could mean a 9iron into a green instead of a 7i. I would take that everyday of the week and not even think about it.

Check the JetSpeed thread - looks like 55 yards dispersion rather than 55 feet - he posted the Trackman shots.

Well, he did say feet in this thread. I am only going off the information given on the topic.

All the numbers I've seen are in yards and not feet. So if your saying a total variance of 55 feet left to right is the worse case scenario, I can see why he may have gone that way with the longer driver. If it was actually yards of variance, I can also see your concern.

That's a different animal all together. Fifty five yards is a big spread, I would think twice about that.

I get it completely - just wanted to note that as it does really change how you would interpret his original post.

Well, he did say feet in this thread. I am only going off the information given on the topic.

That's a different animal all together. Fifty five yards is a big spread, I would think twice about that.

I get it completely - just wanted to note that as it does really change how you would interpret his original post.

55 yards is a huge difference, compared to feet. But I will say, depending on what the distance is, that changes as well. I am pretty happy with 55 yards of dispersion, but my expectations are different with the driver I guess.

Again, I can hone in accuracy. I cannot hone in distance. It's there or it isn't.

All the numbers I've seen are in yards and not feet. So if your saying a total variance of 55 feet left to right is the worse case scenario, I can see why he may have gone that way with the longer driver. If it was actually yards of variance, I can also see your concern.

He posted 55' dispersion, most would read that as feet.

He posted 55' dispersion, most would read that as feet.

I would give my one great eye for 19 yards of dispersion.

I would give my one great eye for 19 yards of dispersion.

I can't even fathom hitting driver that reliably. Even 50 yards of left to right isn't too bad on most courses.

Back