Caffeine and Golf, how does it affect your game?

d_in_la

Not so in LA.
Reaction score
Handicap
?? & Rum.
This weekend I was out for a near crack-of-dawn for a round during which, one of my playing partners had a container of home-brew with two shots of espresso to start the morning and then stopped in for another fill-up

Now, I'm guessing he was pretty close to 16 ounces (it was one of those nifty Contigo things). So, using a DailyMail graphic: A two fluid oz of espresso is 80mg of coffee, he said he went with a double shot into his normal coffee, so lets say 160mg plus approximately 200mg for 12 fl of regular coffee, so 360mg. Add another 16oz of regular coffee for the back nine to top off with another 266mg of caffeine.

I'm thinking I would have been totally amped up out of my mind with that much caffeine - to the detriment of my game, especially on the back nine. Which is what happened to this dude. His game became very erratic - which he complained about happening whenever he does an early early round.

Are you a caffeine, Coke, Mountain Dew, energy shot drinker? How do you think it affects your game?

Comparison of caffeine in various drinks below:

article-2274679-17649407000005DC-418_634x669.jpg

I had no idea a red bull or monster had less than a grande coffee.

Wow that is interesting. I usually don't drink soda but I do energy drink's and I think it hasn't effected my game while I am out there.

I've found that, when very tired before a round, ~100mg can improve my focus without making me jittery. Anywhere near 300mg, barring having had excess caffeine the few previous days, is counterproductive for a game that requires precise motor skills lol.

Usually drink a Diet Dew on the way to the course to give me a little pick me up before the round.

I drink about 4 to 5 cups of coffee everyday. Golf or no golf. The caffeine does not bother me. The lack of caffeine does.

I had no idea a red bull or monster had less than a grande coffee.

I think that's the 8oz Red Bull (standard) or Monster which I think is 16oz, so double that up, but still less than a Starbucks.

Coffee good for me energy drinks gets me to wired for golf. Unless it's an amp focus

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've been affected by coffee in an early morning round just once, and I never let it happen again. Just feeling jittery, queasy stomach, and my hands started shaking a little bit. I played pretty lousy for about four holes until I started feeling better. Now I might have some green tea before a round, but not coffee. If I'm going to be feeling jittery and sick to my stomach I'll head in to work, not the golf course.

I'm a coffee drinker, 4-5 cups a day. However when I play golf, I have just one cup in the morning, and won't have another until the round is done. Once in a while I can feel the caffeine kick in early in a round, but normally there is no effect.

The question for me does no caffeine effect my game. I drink energy drinks, diet coke or coffee of some sort every round.

The question for me does no caffeine effect my game. I drink energy drinks, diet coke or coffee of some sort every round.

Panda with wings makes scores go low.

Morning tee time, I'll have coffee guaranteed.

Well, it doesn't improve my score, if that's what you're asking! Lol.

8oz can of Monster. Like those exist hahahaha

Early morning tee times, will typically do 1-2 of the paisleys or something similar. So roughly at the daily limit. Usually don't have any more than that unless it's just a really rough day and then I might have a third. Typically I just suck it up though and push through. I really haven't noticed any suffering of my game, no worse than playing dead tired.

Other than my morning coffee, I don't take in much caffeine. My favorite on-course drink in summer is Vitamin Water Zero (unless I'm drinking beer). I may occasionally have a 5-hour energy shot during a round, but, I think it has less caffeine than a cup of coffee. And, I think the occasional Bloody Mary is safe.

Gotta eat something in the morning or whatever before I drink an energy drink or whatever before the round. Ive made the mistake of doing that before and was jittery as all get out on the driving range. Had too eat some crackers and chill out a bit before tee off.

A morning round, I will have a cup of coffee before I go but that is it. Normally I have 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and I am good for the day. If I am going to play a round if I don't like my energy levels I will look at 5 hour energy shot - but I really try to stay away from soda. If soda is the only option, so be it.

I don't see that it affects my game at all. I do drink a lot of coffee, both on and off the course, but if I don't drink the coffee I see no difference in my game.

I'm not too sure if it's an early round I usually get a medium iced with skim from the dunks and a couple of donuts it doesn't really affect me positively or negatively I don't think...

Using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine so I try and stay away from it before I golf. It typically makes my hands shaky which likely hurts my putting.

I'll drink 4-5 cups of coffee every day anyway but try to limit it a bit before golf. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anything sugar kills my golf game. makes me hyper and I start swinging faster and 90% of the time when I swing quickly it's no bueno.

I'll have a red bull now and then if I'm playing early, but that's about it. I've never noticed it affecting my game at all whether I had some or not. I don't drink much with caffeine in general.

I love having a Mountain Dew or Mello Yello while playing, I drink more pop than I should so it helps pick me up while I play.

Back