Is your driver and iron swing the same?

I always compare my driver and Iron swings to two different people.
Driver - Rickie Fowler

Irons - Kevin Chappell

I think they are similar, but my set-up and shoulder plane is different. Sometime my shoulder turn gets really flat. It doesn't really hurt my driving all that much, but my irons become useless when that happens.

swing is not the same due to the nature and characteristics of woods/driver Vs. irons, but the swing mechanics is the same for all of my clubs.

I would go so far as to say your iron, driver and Putter stance are very similar. The swing distance may differ, the weight shift may differ, but essentially its the same.

Tap,Tap,Tap

My swing is different, my driver swing is a very flat sweeping motion and my iron swing has more of a downward angle .

I wish mine were the same. I hit irons with great consistency, and they feel so great. On the other hand, I only hit the driver good every now and then, same with my 4 wood. I usually tee off with a 5 iron, and since my irons are so long, and the courses are kind of short, I'm usually in good shape.

It's been interesting reading this thread. My iron and wood swings are very different and I assumed they were supposed to be. I'm off to to the range and will experiment with my wood swing and see if that helps to eliminate my slice.

I just wanted to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread - it's threads like this tha keep me tuning in to THP every day.

I've been struggling with a big slice with my woods and couldn't work out what was going wrong. I'm fine from the first tee, but by the time I hit the third (second is a par 3) I'm slicing it. Reading through this thread I realised that maybe I was doing something different so worked on it at the range last night and I've figured it out finally.

I realised that on my iron shots I'm hitting through the ball and ending up pivoted on to my left leg with my right foot up on to the toe - pretty much the correct stance after hitting. After my woods I was still firmly planted on both feet with little body turn. Working on getting the full range of motion on the woods meant that I became aware that I wasn't following through on the swing after hitting the ball, so I'd ended up hitting with an open face. Making the changes resulted in me hitting long and straight, with maybe just a 5 - 10 yard fade at times, by the end of the session.

I wouldn't have worked that out without this thread, so thanks guys!!! :D

It is pretty much the same for me, but compensating for the longer club with a little flatter swing and with the ball closer to my front foot with the driver. Basically I try to keep the takeaway, rhythm, weight shift, etc., the same for all clubs.

Interesting topic, I would like to think that my swing fundamentals are the same, and the impact is different between the woods and irons. I was under the assumption that club length and distance to the ball determined if a swing is steep or sweeping.

Interesting topic, I would like to think that my swing fundamentals are the same, and the impact is different between the woods and irons. I was under the assumption that club length and distance to the ball determined if a swing is steep or sweeping.

I think to an extent that may be true but there are definitely some golfers that sweep their irons instead of striking down on them. I could be way off base, but it was my understanding that the spin you see the pro's generate is based on pinching/compressing the ball at impact while striking the ball first (and not the ground like so many amateurs do).

I see where the majority of people in this thread said that they have the same swing which surprised me a bit to be honest. I always hear "slow and low" with the driver or FW woods and that is definitely not something preached with iron play. All have unique swings though and seem to make it work.

Your swing should not change from one club to the next. You swing the driver the same as your 7 irons or sw. The difference is that the driver is longer so you stand farther away but the swing should be the same. If you sweep the irons you should sweep the driver . If you drive through the ball with the irons then the same should be done with the driver.
Inconstant driver play may be due to the alteration of your normal swing.
I am speaking of full swings not half shots or finesse shots. But full swings.

Reading some old threads and came across this post. Took me 11 years to figure this out. Hope resurrecting this helps others wondering the same thing.

I think they are the same basically, they feel that way. But honestly I have no idea

I'm working on making them the same, the only thing that changes is the ball position.

I'm not really sure. I suspect I'm doing something different with driver, but I don't feel too terribly different.

Same in principle, but different in execution. Set up for each is different, but take away and transition are the same. I hold off on the lag a bit and have a fuller follow through.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

My driver and 3W are a little different to my iron swings. Much flatter and with more of a sweep. This is probably the reason why my current shot shape with irons is a draw and the woods tend to be either straight or a power fade.

Also, and I was going to start another thread but it seems relevant here...when I address the ball with short irons/wedges I find that unless I really relax my posture then my ball striking is terrible. This is the exact opposite of how I address 8-5irons, where I will focus on a straight back/spine angle to get consistent and accurate strikes. Anyone else like that?

Question: is your driver and iron swing the same?

Not even close. Two completely different things.

I feel like mine are the same. But if seeing my swing on camera at my lessons has taught me anything, it's that I'm not always doing what I "feel" I'm doing.

Mine are different. Unlike many, I am a picker with my irons and hybrids. It's what feels natural to me. But the biggest difference is tempo and swing speed. My driver is easily 20mph faster than the rest of my clubs. I use a ten finger grip and really get my strong right arm into it. My R1 has a TP stiff shaft that I was fitted for. My takeaway is deliberate, but I come at the ball hard in the downswing.

For my hybrids, I purposely chose an R-flex shaft to force me to slow down those swings. It has helped my contact and accuracy immensely. I am very happy with the results there so far. The lighter weight and flex gives me distance with the slower swing speed (85-88mph).

For my irons (7 and down) I have steel shafts. I swing more forcefully with those than I do the hybrids. But again, I've been categorized as more of a picker than a divot taker.

EDIT: After reading Tadashi's posts, I do keep the same basic swing for all clubs. It's tempo that changes for me.

Last edited:
Your swing should not change from one club to the next. You swing the driver the same as your 7 irons or sw. The difference is that the driver is longer so you stand farther away but the swing should be the same. If you sweep the irons you should sweep the driver . If you drive through the ball with the irons then the same should be done with the driver.
Inconstant driver play may be due to the alteration of your normal swing.
I am speaking of full swings not half shots or finesse shots. But full swings.

I find that really interesting, I always viewed the driver needing to be a different swing in that it should be flatter and a different angle. I am going to try swinging more like my irons this weekend and see what happens.

I'm not sure, but I think they are different. I've been working on making sure my hands are in front of the club head @ impact with my irons. I'm not sure I want my hands ahead of the club head at impact with the driver. Seems like that would cause more left to right than I would want.

I find that really interesting, I always viewed the driver needing to be a different swing in that it should be flatter and a different angle. I am going to try swinging more like my irons this weekend and see what happens.
ask yourself why the driver would be swung different than the sw. what is the primary difference bewteen the two clubs? Length and maybe lie angle but since the driver doesn't make contact with the ground, the lie angle is of no consequence. So length is the only factor. The arms and shoulders still move the club from address to the top and back again. THe amount of time is take the driver head to travel is a bit longer but not by anything measurable with the naked eye. Hence you swing each club the same.

Now swing arc with change but arms and shoulders move back the exact same way with the drive, 7 iron or SW.

ask yourself why the driver would be swung different than the sw. what is the primary difference bewteen the two clubs? Length and maybe lie angle but since the driver doesn't make contact with the ground, the lie angle is of no consequence. So length is the only factor. The arms and shoulders still move the club from address to the top and back again. THe amount of time is take the driver head to travel is a bit longer but not by anything measurable with the naked eye. Hence you swing each club the same.

Now swing arc with change but arms and shoulders move back the exact same way with the drive, 7 iron or SW.

Agree 100% same swing different arc. Just becasue the angle of attack it different shouldnt change your tempo, grip, or how you fire you hips though (which basically makes up your swing)

Back