Tips and Tricks for playing on Bermuda Grass

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Up in the northeast Bermuda grass is really non-existent. So when we go down south to play golf there is always some adjustments that need to be done. I know some people really struggle at first on Bermuda greens because grain becomes a factor, and coming from bent grass it really isn't.

Putting isn't the thing I struggle the most with though on this type of grass, it's actually the shots around the green. Sometimes the ball is sitting up right on top of the surface which for me brings in that shot of going right underneath it. Other times it really nestles down and I have no clue what to do. I've tried different ways of playing short game shots and each time I return a little befuddled.

So my question to you have play this type of grass constantly and have mastered it, what are your tips and tricks to playing on Bermuda?

Trout Bum gave me a really good tip at the 2012 MC. I had a ball that was nested in some Bermuda rough and basically hit underneath the ball. His suggestion was to choke down on the club and it worked really well.

One thing I learned last year at Monroe was to pay attention to the grain around the green too. If you're against it, it can catch your club in a hurry and your ball will roll a lot slower. If you're with the grain, it will roll really fast. Learn shots with hybrids, toe up chips, etc. It's something I need to practice more often because it was a real struggle when we first joined and I'm sure I will go through it again now that we've joined yet another new course that has championship bermuda greens and bermuda fairways.

• Staff
Trout Bum gave me a really good tip at the 2012 MC. I had a ball that was nested in some Bermuda rough and basically hit underneath the ball. His suggestion was to choke down on the club and it worked really well.

JB was trying to show me some stuff around a practice green once, but taking it from the practice area to the course just didn't work out well.

One thing I learned last year at Monroe was to pay attention to the grain around the green too. If you're against it, it can catch your club in a hurry and your ball will roll a lot slower. If you're with the grain, it will roll really fast. Learn shots with hybrids, toe up chips, etc. It's something I need to practice more often because it was a real struggle when we first joined and I'm sure I will go through it again now that we've joined yet another new course that has championship bermuda greens and bermuda fairways.

dumb question, how do I read the grain of the rough?

I have no idea if that's even possible or necessary. I'm talking short grass around the green or say 10 yards off the green in fairway. We had some tricky fronts that would just grab your ball and you could not bump and run on them where others you could because of the direction of grain.

dumb question, how do I read the grain of the rough?

Never a dumb question friend. Easiest way is to look at it and see if you've at least got a downgrain, into the grain, or a bird's nest: growing in literally every direction. If you're not sure, take a couple practice swings next to your ball. Goes through clean, likely downgrain. If you feel the club stop or really dig as you swipe, into. Bird's nest lie, it's usually more into than down and giant chunks of turf go flying. That's usually my best indication I'm going to hate the next shot.

Never a dumb question friend. Easiest way is to look at it and see if you've at least got a downgrain, into the grain, or a bird's nest: growing in literally every direction. If you're not sure, take a couple practice swings next to your ball. Goes through clean, likely downgrain. If you feel the club stop or really dig as you swipe, into. Bird's nest lie, it's usually more into than down and giant chunks of turf go flying. That's usually my best indication I'm going to hate the next shot.

So if you have that short game shot where the grain is going against you, what do you try to do? Play more of a lower-lofted club so that you don't swing steeply, or do you try to use the bounce on a high-lofted wedge to still hit a higher shot?

I couldn't say it much better than Kelly.

I'm always aware of the grain on Bermuda greens. I find the grain affects speed more than direction, but I will add a little or take a little off of break depending on the grain.

So if you have that short game shot where the grain is going against you, what do you try to do? Play more of a lower-lofted club so that you don't swing steeply, or do you try to use the bounce on a high-lofted wedge to still hit a higher shot?

I don't let the grain affect the type of shot that I play (high versus low). But I do let the grain affect where I try to land the ball.

Usually I go high, but it depends. If it's into and an uphill lie, there's a very solid chance you're going to stub it since you have nothing going for you. Example: It took me 3 attempts to get onto the green at Mission Inn when I was into the grain, uphill, and short sided. It's one of those where you really need to choke down a lot and feel you're just barely brushing the grass. In hindsight, I wish I would have just listened to my own damn advice because I probably would have been able to make bogey at worse instead of a triple.

At least when using the bounce, it's not going to feel it's digging as much. A straight faced shot, man you better catch that perfectly or you're going to hit it maybe halfway where you wanted it to. You could try and putt it since there's nothing wrong with putting from the collar or approach, but it typically bounces all over the place and you can also take a chance of stubbing it as well.

Tips and Tricks for playing on Bermuda Grass

I don't know who it was, but I think Dean taught me about Bermuda grain on greens in our practice round last year in Myrtle and how to tell if you are against or with it by looking at the cup. It does make a difference in speed for sure, I was amazed by that.

I don't know who it was, but I think Dean taught me about Bermuda grain on greens in our practice round last year in Myrtle and how to tell if you are against or with it by looking at the cup. It does make a difference in speed for sure, I was amazed by that.

we did talk about that. That was a trick that JB showed me down at PGA National one year. Before that I had maybe 5 rounds of golf on bermuda greens in my life. Certainly helped me understand greens a little better.

I have a bit of free time this afternoon, I'll swing by a nearby course and see if I can shoot a video with some different lies. I really hope no one's near that green because it's kinda weird talking to a camera with people nearby haha

I have a bit of free time this afternoon, I'll swing by a nearby course and see if I can shoot a video with some different lies. I really hope no one's near that green because it's kinda weird talking to a camera with people nearby haha

Would be great if you can make that happen

Just don't go to a course near a school...

#Notyourlawyer

Would be great if you can make that happen

It'll happen just for you haha. I figured I'd do fringe into/down, what rough there is into and down (that bird's nest you just don't see on a practice green. They save that treat just for the course) and try and get how to tell into and down on the putting green. The latter really is pretty easy to spot, I just hope the camera picks it up some.

Great thread as I never see Bermuda and at the gauntlet it was way different. Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

You guys will hopefully like these. They came out about as planned. Got a couple in slow motion that show pretty well an aggressive motion vs a stabby stroke at it.

Video 1: Downgrain Bermuda vs into the grain Bermuda

Video 2: My normal pitch shot into the grain vs a leading edge pitch shot into the grain at 420FPS.

Video 3: Putting into the grain on collars/fringe.

As far as seeing when you're downgrain vs into the grain on the green, the camera didn't really help much. However, typically when you're downgrain on Bermuda, it appears to have a sheen on it and appears very light in color. Into the grain, the same grass will appear much darker in color. While it tries to be consistent, there are times where you will go from into then down, or into down into, etc. You just kinda learn to deal with it the more you play on it.

Good stuff mward!

Great video Mward most helpful. I was in the Orlando area a few weeks ago and did not notice the grain affecting my ball as much as in your videos, Is Bermuda dormant at this time of year or maybe I did not notice it? Also it was not as wet when I was there as seen in your video. Hope my question makes sens!

Makes total sense. Bermuda does grow dormant in the winter and is typically overseeded in the mid to late Fall with rye grass. Once temperatures heat up, the rye dies and the bermuda comes back. By now, it should be mostly back since we've had the temperatures start creeping back into the 70's and 80's. You may not have noticed it, or the courses you played kept their rough short. Or, you just handled it with ease!

Wet bermuda is some of the worst for the reasons you saw. It can just grab your club and stop it really quickly if you're not fully committed to the shot.

Great vids and explanation Wardy. Thanks for doing this.

Thanks Wardy...those are great videos.

Great Job Wardy!!! I was going to attempt to explain it but your videos did a much better job.

I play on bermuda most of the time....when chipping into the grain I try to use more of a "hinge and hold" technique because the turf is going to try and stop your club...you can expect and higher shot and not much run out.....it's just the opposite if chipping with the grain...and standard pitch and run works fine.

Birds nests lies are a completely different animal...you really don't know how the ball is going to come out.

Putting on Bermuda is just a matter of learning to read grain at the cup and on your intended line.....if the grass is shiny you are usually downgrain (faster)...darker is into the grain (slower)....the ball will want to follow the grain...so if the grain runs across your line then the ball is going to be affected by the direction the grain runs...a 3-4 foot flat putt can move more than a cup if it's across grain and not struck firmly.

So that 3 1/2 foot tap in just missed because your didn't hit it firm enough and the grain turned the ball.

Back