How do you check your alignment?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
When taking a full swing, how do you check your alignment to know that everything is good to go?

I struggle with this a lot. I think I subconscsiouly introduced a big aim to the right to make the pull hook playable.

I use sticks on the range, but on the course just use a divot or tee a couple feet ahead of the ball.

Just visual really. I would say, for me, this is the hardest part of the game; correct alignment. It's easy to get off a bit. I noticed a few rounds back that Tiger was having trouble aligning on cut shots, he was facing way too far left. But then a couple weeks ago Bubba was nearly facing the fairway with both his feet pointing forward. Tricky business.

I struggle with this a lot. I think I subconscsiouly introduced a big aim to the right to make the pull hook playable.

I use sticks on the range, but on the course just use a divot or tee a couple feet ahead of the ball.

Same here. Sticks on the range and divot, tuft of grass or anything in front of my ball.

I used to check my feet, but my eyes were opened up at ECPC during my fitting that your feet are important, but your shoulders are critical. I was aligning my shoulders way left and that wrecked havoc on ball striking, especially with driver. Once I got my shoulders on plane and toward my target, that's when I started hitting it well. So check the shoulders for me.

• Staff
I used to check my feet, but my eyes were opened up at ECPC during my fitting that your feet are important, but your shoulders are critical. I was aligning my shoulders way left and that wrecked havoc on ball striking, especially with driver. Once I got my shoulders on plane and toward my target, that's when I started hitting it well. So check the shoulders for me.

that's me too. My shoulders really were way off. Feet going one direction, shoulders the other. During my lessons it's something my instructor is constantly talking about.

One of my biggest problems. Just bought some alignment sticks so I can work on this. Same issues you see Dean. Feet one way and shoulders another.

• Staff
One of my biggest problems. Just bought some alignment sticks so I can work on this. Same issues you see Dean. Feet one way and shoulders another.

it's a battle. I know I get on the range and to work on it I change targets every swing or 2. So one time I'm aiming right, then left, then right, then center. When things are messed up it's one but :poop: show.

that's me too. My shoulders really were way off. Feet going one direction, shoulders the other. During my lessons it's something my instructor is constantly talking about.

Maybe it happened over time subconsciously due to my tendency to have a big slice as my miss, this compensating a little for it. What I learned was that I traded a slice for a nasty hook. It's just much easier to do one last visual check before you hit the ball than having to look for it near/in OB.

That's good advice there. My instructor opened my eyes up with that revelation. Got to use the rods on the range. On course just look at divots and retake my stance again.

Maybe it happened over time subconsciously due to my tendency to have a big slice as my miss, this compensating a little for it. What I learned was that I traded a slice for a nasty hook. It's just much easier to do one last visual check before you hit the ball than having to look for it near/in OB.

Getting my shoulders square is something I've been working on as well. Feet and knees and hips are easy, but I was way too open with the shoulders. When I am at square, it still feels like I am closed too much, but that is going away as I get used to it.

I like to take my club and hold it up to my shoulders to check the alignment vs a rod I lay down on the range. I also have the thought that someone looking down the line should just start to see my left (front) shoulder at address. It's been a pretty good thought on the course too.

Great thread and something I need to work on.

My fitter showed me how I'm open BIGTIME at address. No bueno.

Time to learn how to use alignment sticks.

Like many others, I have a problem keeping both my feet and shoulders aligned. For my shoulders, I lay my club across my shoulders when they are squared and see if it is pointing in the direction I set up as my target.

By picking out a spot when behind the ball that is 2 feet or so in front of the ball. Aim at that spot instead of the distance.

Exactly what this guy said....im working on it though

Back