"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday"

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
Does the old adage still have any truth? I know we here are more prosumers than typical golf consumers, but does it matter what is in the bag of the guy who wins the PGA tour event that week? Do you have a tendency to at least give those clubs or apparel a second look when you are in a golf store?

I definitely check the bags of the winners and then look up their gear, for sure. If something is winning week in and week out, it definitely deserves attention.

I'l look but it doesnt control my buying habits

Does the old adage still have any truth? I know we here are more prosumers than typical golf consumers, but does it matter what is in the bag of the guy who wins the PGA tour event that week? Do you have a tendency to at least give those clubs or apparel a second look when you are in a golf store?

Depends on who wins. If Tiger wins every company is happy. In the past when he won every company but Nike seemed to do well in hard good sales.

Got people golfing.

I'm sure some will say it doesn't, but in general I think it matters quite a bit, if not in terms of sales at least in terms of buzz.

The first example that comes to my mind is Ernie's win in the British with the X Utility. It became an internet sensation. Same with Phil and the Deep woods.

However, I think 'most used on Tour' is probably the more attractive label to advertise.

I think popular golfers winning is good for the golf industry as a whole. Personality sells.

Depends on who wins. If Tiger wins every company is happy. In the past when he won every company but Nike seemed to do well in hard good sales.

Got people golfing.

Poor Nike, how ironic is that.

Phil's impact on Callaway's Deep line is quite tangible. Everyone seemed to be lining up to try one (myself included).

I would say that the general public is drawn to what is in the winners' bags. Whether they should be is a completely different question.

From what I see in the shop, the adage really only applies to single clubs that are highlighted - like the 3 Deep or a certain unusual putter, etc. In my case, it makes no impact whatsoever.

Phil's impact on Callaway's Deep line is quite tangible. Everyone seemed to be lining up to try one (myself included).

I would say that the general public is drawn to what is in the winners' bags. Whether they should be is a completely different question.

Yep, I even made the jump to Callaway to see what the 3 Deep was about. And I usually don't give Callaway gear too much of a look.

Could not begin to tell you what is in bag of any winners. Except I assume that if Tiger wins something from Nike is in bag.
Having said that I do believe that many golfers still do pay attention and still do create a sales pop in retail land.

It does cause me to try something in the store or at least pick up the next magazine article and read it through. However, I find the THP reviews to as valuable to me as hearing it straight from fellow golfer is what I like to hear.

What guys play doesnt have any effect on my purchasing. I still love knowing what guys are playing and who their sponsors are though.

I am interested to see what the winners are playing, however as you can see it doesn't cause me to open the walletbook to purchase. I think its unique that I can pick up a club as say...wow Jason Day won with this club.

Why was it every company was happy that Tiger won? Was it because he brought alot of atenntion to golf and people had to have clubs like the pro's had?

Got people golfing.

I think that's a NASCAR saying. Or a sentiment of the auto manufacturers regarding auto racing.

I don't care what the pros play (except maybe balls).

The adage is borrowed from stock car racing, back when stock car racing consisted of racing modified "stock" cars. Thus Sunday's winning cars was an indication of performance of that cars sitting on the showroom floor.

These days what a pro golfer plays in his bag bears far more resemblance to what I play in my bag than a NASCAR car to my car.

I think companies certainly sell the performance of their products as it plays out on Tour. My facebook feed gets plenty of advertisement about Jason Day winning last weekend, and associating it with the SLDR. I think people who know Jason Day's game understand that that kid just booms it, and probably would with almost driver out there, but it's naturally within the realm of an OEM to associate correlation and causation. Indeed, their marketing department is counting on it. ;)

What the pros play doesn't impact anything I buy. Just because I buy the driver that Jason Day gamed last week doesn't mean I'm going to hit it like Jason Day. Just because Phil putted lights on en-route to a 59 didn't mean I went out and bought a Versa #9. I may have some of the same clubs as the pros, but it's not because that's what they play. If that were the case, I'd be Nike from head to toe.

And I see your point, Hawk about, "Most Used on Tour" and there's some merit to that, but it's all marketing to get people to buy that product. Last year after Phil shot that 59, I went into Golf Galaxy for my lesson and they had sold a dozen RFEs. The next week there were about 7 RFEs in the used rack. I'm sure if Hanes wanted to they could say that their underwear is the "Most Worn Underwear on Tour". I can't blame the OEMs though. There's a market for buyers like that and they need those dollars.

I do look at the WITB, but it doesn't influence my purchases. My bag is usually pretty set for the year barring some BIG unforeseen circumstance.

I look at the pros bags to see whats coming, not whats already out.

Why was it every company was happy that Tiger won? Was it because he brought alot of atenntion to golf and people had to have clubs like the pro's had?

Tiger brought a lot of interest and drama to the game when he was winning in the beginning. The number of people who came to the game was astounding and they were people who had never played before. So a lot of clubs, bags, balls were sold due to the interest he created in the game.

What's in the bag of the winner doesn't effect my buying clubs. I play what I like or want to give a try which is why I'm gaming ci11's. I wanted to try them for myself not because they won on tour.

I pay attention to WITB of winners from week to week but it's mostly out of curiosity vs. thinking about buying any of the equipment. I know that what they are playing is nothing like what I would get from any store or OEM

What intrigues me most is what clubs they play that are NOT from the their equipment sponsor or if they have an old favorite. The one's who are Titleist, Callaway, etc. through the bag are kinda boring to me.

I pay attention but it has little impact on my purchases. The only time I can remember actively wanting to try something after a tournament was the 3deep after listening to Phil rave about the Phrankenwood.

I personally don't, but it's usually because, thanks to THP, I already knew about them before they win!

"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday"

I've gotta admit seeing all the pros using the Ap2 series of irons influenced me a bit. I wanted to move into a players club but was scared. After hitting them and seeing how easy they were to hit PLUS knowing I could see my clubs on TV four days of the week influenced me. But I'll honestly say this was the only time I bought clubs after seeing somebody win with them.

Damn Duffner! Lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back