How to PROPERLY repair a ball mark

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I fixed ball marks for 30 years before coming to THP in 2008 and learned that I wasn't really fixing them, because I was doing it wrong for all those years.

Last edited:
And if you have a Greensaver, this is the easiest and best method I have ever used. It is much easier when you aren't trying to get it on video!

Haha. Now we all know. And knowing is half the battle.

Simple and easy to understand

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Say I always see people do it a different way. And question for everyone, why do they call it a divot tool if its to repair a ball mark and not a divot???

Courses should require all golfers to see this before they can tee off.

Thanks "smalls' I really didn't know the proper way to do it. Always do it and make the effort but didn't realize I was doing it wrong. I was one who pried upwards and I see that is wrong now. But I must say, often times the green can be hard and pushing towards the center will not often fill the hole as easily as done in the video. In fact may still leave a dip. But I'm certainly going to give it the proper try next time. I know as with many things that doing it wrong (even though well intended) can do more harm than good.

You guys beat me too it. Thank goodness for the Search feature.

Touche Smallville.

GreenSaver really makes it dummy proof!!

Depending on the size of the pitch mark, you can even use your putter. Really works well on the little marks a pitch shot can leave sometimes.

Thanks for posting this. I give every person I'm paired with a lesson on repairing ball marks. Drives me crazy when I see people lifting instead of pushing. I play my local course a lot and tire of bad greens mid summer from people killing the grass fixing pitch marks the way they see the pros doing it on TV.

When I was a starter at my course I would walk groups ready for the tee box to the putting green (next to first tee) and show them how. I would them ask them to repair there mark plus one extra every hole.

The repair yours and one more is the rule I've always tried to stick with. There are those time when you can't find yours but its not like there aren't always plenty to choose from (on the muni courses I play on anyway)

That greensaver is amazing, I might have to invest in one.

I'm kind of OCD about the ball mark thing. I try and do as many as I can on each green without disrupting play.

My local course overwaters their greens during the summer to prevent losing them in the heat. As a result, ball marks frequently have a 1" diameter dirt/mud hole in the middle. They're almost impossible to fix. We all complain about it but, apparently, the sup is a d!ick...

Good video. The whole point should be to never pry up a pitch mark from below. This tears out the roots of the grass. Most pitch marks have a high side if the ball came in low and it is this high side that needs to be pushed back into the hole.

Good thread Smalls. I don't use anything but a greensaver these days. Dummy proof and quick.

I've had many friends and random pairings ask me why I fix the ball marks that way. They simply do not know that they are doing it wrong. I tell them the reasoning and some say they will try it, others flat out say it doesn't look as good. I remind them that the goal is to not kill the green. With a little practice one gets good at it.

Man I've been doing it wrong all these years, thanks for the lesson Smalls.

I just learned a couple of years ago how to properly fix a ball mark after 20 years of doing it incorrectly. My main takeaway...the greens they are playing on are a lot nicer than the ones I normally play on. Great tutorial and reminder though!

I always fix ball marks BUT if some starter wants me to walk to a green to show me how to do it he'd be alone and talking to himself. Also I don't need to be schooled on mark fixing by some stranger I've been paired with!

Say I always see people do it a different way. And question for everyone, why do they call it a divot tool if its to repair a ball mark and not a divot???

People who know the difference don't call it that. In fact, most golfers don't know the difference between a divot and a divot hole.

I always fix ball marks BUT if some starter wants me to walk to a green to show me how to do it he'd be alone and talking to himself. Also I don't need to be schooled on mark fixing by some stranger I've been paired with!

Now this is a really open attitude. Way to show support for a policy of teaching players to take proper care of the course. :rain:

540_293_resize_20130801_1bff1a29267372616616f34885e7c4ca_jpg.jpg

I saw a sign like this on the first tee box at a course last year. I thought that was such a great idea.

I'd rather the starter walk me over to the green and discuss ball marks vs pace of play and other rules they're not going to enforce anyways....or how he shot a 69 from the tips yesterday.

Back