Borss

Reaction score
Handicap
Should courses give a discount when aerating their greens since it makes putting near impossible?

Should courses give a discount when aerating their greens since it makes putting near impossible?
Yes, but it never seems to happen in my area.

Last year we charged $20 all day for a couple days after. We had such a good super that it was almost perfect within 4 or 5 days.

I always think it's nice when you call to make a Tee time to inform you in the first place, But i can't remember a time a discount hasn't been given in that situation to me anyway.

My home course announces the aeration dates two weeks in advance. I just play a different course those dates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure a discount is necessary. After all it only take a few days for them to heal and then we get to benefit from greens that are in better condition.

I think a small discount would be a good customer service move. And I think warning on the phone is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and the warning before you get on the course should be mandatory.

Yes, but it never seems to happen in my area.

Yes, I agree. The two main course I play will tell you they have done it, but I've never seen a reduced price. It is just part of golf and it must be done, but there should be a reduced rate for sure.

I love it when you go to the club house and pay your green fees,and as you are turning to go out the door, the guy says "oh by the way we aerated yesterday " or "its's cart path only today"! Tell me that before you get my money, or better still when I make the tee time,although to be fair,some of our tee times are booked online.

Many courses give a discount if the greens have recently been aerated, but since most courses in my area aerate around the same time, many of them know you don't have many other options.

I would just like to be notified. A discount is great but not required as there are always other courses I can choose from while others heal.

The two main courses I play are usually good at letting you know. One course does typically offer a discount but the other does not.

A discount is nice, especially if it is a course with a greens fee that is high. I played Thursday and they had just aerated the greens. The pro gave me a huge discount, which I was not expecting.

I like when they let you know, maybe throw you a 10-20% discount, or run some kind of special for the week.

I think that it is just plain common descency for them to inform you when booking. That way you have the choice whether to play or not. Most courses will publicise these dates in advance, but they will always be subject to weather conditions during that period.

Whether you get a discount, I would say no. If you want to have good surfaces during the main season, this hollow tyning etc is a necessary evil. They could obviously not do it and the greens would then suffer and everyone would be moaning about the condition of the place. Why would expect a discount if you know in advance and so can choose to play elsewhere.

Every green keeper, no matter where you play, will try to minimise the amount of work that conflicts with players. They have a job to do but unfortunately it is often a job that interfeers with play. Ground work on any golf course is always happening somewhere. If they were for example doing work on half a dozen bunkers would you expect a discount just because three of them are the ones you usually go in.

There is often work carried out on a course that we would all say 'why the hell are they doing that now', but some work is essential and we simply have to put up with it to enjoy good golf in the summer.

They should definitely give a discount, crappy greens are horrible.

Absolutely, no way I'm paying full price for less than standard Conditions.

I played a very high class course a few years ago..$150 buckaroos.. Said back 9 was aerated..never mentioned this on the phone when we got the tee time. No discount, and so many plugs on the back..it was the fairway and greens both...it was almost literally unplayable... ( 2 putt rule was in effect)...

But a beautiful day..so not all bad..but still should've been a discount..or at least tell us during the time we called for a tee time. Damn kids nowadays. :)

They should ABSOLUTELY inform you when you make your reservation. Discounts? I'm 50-50 on that IF they inform you before hand.

I played a very high class course a few years ago..$150 buckaroos.. Said back 9 was aerated..never mentioned this on the phone when we got the tee time. No discount, and so many plugs on the back..it was the fairway and greens both...it was almost literally unplayable... ( 2 putt rule was in effect)...

But a beautiful day..so not all bad..but still should've been a discount..or at least tell us during the time we called for a tee time. Damn kids nowadays. :)

Same thing happened to us a few years ago. It was a private course with public access after 10:30am. We showed up and paid our $100 and got out there.... the greens had been punched the day before to give them time to heal up before the club championship.

We complained after the round that no one told us and they still charged us full price and we were basically told that all the members knew about it in advance so too bad if you didn't. This course was ranked quite high nationally at that time and has since slid pretty far down the rankings. Not surprising why with service like that. I didn't need a discount but if someone told me when I booked that the greens would be punched and it would still be full price, I would have said no thank you and re-booked the following weekend. Instead I will never play there again and have no kind words for the place if anyone asks.

Aerated greens tend to put a damper on my round when not notified. I think I have only received a discounted rate at one course in the last 10 years. I remember the last time I played very well. First hole 3 ft for birdie and missed due to the greens.

I wish they would in my area, but they don't. And, unless you ask, most of them won't tell you they just did it when you call for a tee time.
Then you show up and are disappointed. I have gotten into the habit of asking about aeration when I make my tee times.

Most of the course I worked at gave all the members and those calling in for tee times the heads up that it was being done. We usually gave a bit of a discount to help keep the business coming in. It wasn't half off by any means, but it was usually enough to cover your cart for a normal round.

There is a course not far from me that offers that discount. A lot of courses recommend just calling it a two putt per green also and move on once you've hit the green.

Back