How much $ did you lose from swapping out clubs last year.

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
Every year many golfers buy/sell/trade clubs. Some make a living at it, however alot of us do it because we made a choice that didnt fit our game.
With reselling clubs there is usually a loss taken. So this is a 3 parter.
1) how much did you lose last year on making purchses that didnt "work"
2) Will that number have any effect on how you approach this years purchses
3) If your loss is more than a good fitting would have costed you, do you think actually getting fit would save you money?

1. $0, Im good at what I do
2. Not really, already starting buying a few things, albeit small compared to others
3. Probably, but most folks like to tinker

I turned a small profit so far this year.

1) I am proud to say, none.
2) Sure will, I will approach them the same way as last year. Hit a club and exhaustively compare against my current gamer to make sure it will be an improvement before I buy it.
3) N/A, but being fit is always a good idea.

Bought a set of rocketbladez on a whim after a half-a$$ fitting at Dick's (Pre THP, I've learned so much since) - $700
One month of playing, getting frustrated and speedblade irons getting released - trade in $250 in pristine condition

Worst decision ever.

Found a good local shop that fit me properly. Love my set make up now...

Actually broke about even money wise on dumping clubs I didn't use and buying 3 putters (one of which was $450) and one driver. Also paid for my SeeMore trip out of the proceeds from selling those 10 or so clubs so made out pretty well especially considering I was gaming anymore anything I sold. Obviously not impacting my 2014 spending as I habe already pock up 3 putters. Definitely going the fitting route next year for iron set and woods.

Likely lost money, don't know the total and don't want to. :)

A recent fitting will likely help with future purchases but I still like tinkering and trying new things.

1. Not last year but this year for an example. Lost almost nothing, bought some minty VRS Forged last year for $380 sold this year for $350, basically a $30 dollar rental for the season. Bought minty Rocketbladez last month for $275, within a few practice sessions realized they didn't work for me, sold two weeks later for $360 (net even after ebay fees and shipping). Just bought brand new custom AP1 714.

2. Reaffirmed my belief that certain brands you pay as little as possible for and certain brands you can afford to pay more for. Case in point, bought the Taylormades for as little as possible knowing that deep discount on new product would drive used price down, but by putting up a better ad than the guy I bought from was able to recover all my money. The Titleist clubs are the first brand new clubs I've bought in many years but I am comfortable knowing they will hold their value for the next two years (check prices for used 712s).

3. As to fitting, I believe in it, it just isn't an option for me as I am not willing to pay local prices here where I live (Denmark) but being US military I can ship them in from the states. If I was in the states I would consider it, but would still have a problem paying full retail for certain brands due to low residual values if they didn't work out. While a fitting will get you in the ballpark, their is still no substitute for on course testing. If I was going to get fit and pay full freight, it would have to be for a brand that holds it's value (Titleist, Ping, Mizuno).

Every year many golfers buy/sell/trade clubs. Some make a living at it, however alot of us do it because we made a choice that didnt fit our game.
With reselling clubs there is usually a loss taken. So this is a 3 parter.
3) If your loss is more than a good fitting would have costed you, do you think actually getting fit would save you money?

1. None that "didn't work", but did purchase a couple putters just to tinker with. So if you count those, $260ish
2. No but also yes, I won't be purchasing putters that I already own.
3. No, because I like to try new things.

Last year I didn't lose much as far trading in clubs that didn't work. Most of last year I spent "experimenting". I changed my swing, my grip, my posture and all for the better. I have become a much better ball striker, my swing speed has increased, and my misses are less severe than before. Because I knew that I was going through a sort of tinkering phase I mainly bought off the bay. If it didn't work it was back to the drawing board.

Most of my golfing buddies would try out my experiments and if a certain shaft or head worked for them we would trade or I would sell it to them at my cost or less. A few items I traded in to Roger Dunn and they gave me more store credit than what I paid on ebay. I try to trade in when manufacturers are giving a 30-50 percent trade in bonus.

I am pretty much done with my tinkering. I finally found a driver shaft head combo that works for me and my swing. I actually went back to my Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and dont plan on leaving them anytime soon unless I get a great deal on some AP1s.

I actually got a fitting by a independent fitter and I was astonished by the amount of information that was gathered. I found out my swing speed was faster on my driver than I thought and my iron swing was slower than I previously thought. I found out that I was using the wrong size grip. I plan to get new irons sometime in late 2014 and I will pay for another fitting. It is definitely worth it.

I refuse to do the math.

I refuse to add it up as I'm sure it contains a comma--also I have a bunch of stuff that I bought last year, that I don't currently use, that I'll be selling shortly, so it would be an incomplete number anyway.

2) Will that number have any effect on how you approach this years purchases
Nope, I have a sickness and I embrace it.

I was fit (and spent good money on being fit) for equipment that is now sitting unused in my staffer. My problem is finding a "good fitting" or at least a fitter I trust.

I refuse to do the math.
I totally agree its a high number and I don't want to go there. I am doing better this year already, and plan to keep my bag more consistent.

If your loss is more than a good fitting would have costed you, do you think actually getting fit would save you money? I was fit (and spent good money on being fit) for equipment that is now sitting unused in my staffer. My problem is finding a "good fitting" or at least a fitter I trust.

Apologize for being off topic, but this exact thing has kept me away from getting a fitting.
I have yet to develop a repeatable swing and I am very inconsistent.
I would think lessons/practice to get the swing, then a fitting IMO.

I genuinely don't know, and I rarely look at it that way. There is a certain amount of money I am willing to part ways with each year in regards to golf, and I'd rather give the clubs I'm not using away or give great deals on them vs making my money back or even worse, making a profit on it.

probably not the most popular opinion, but that's just how I look at things.

I didn't really answer question three, but I've been fit a handful of times and always receive a different opinion. Part of the excitement, for me, is experimenting.

Don't know how much I lost because I haven't sold them yet. I loved my Adams CB3's but I had an itch for some AP1's. For me the Adams is the club for me. I could probably break even or maybe even make a little because I got them at cost through the golf course I work at, but I will probably sell them $50 less than I paid. I guess I will probably lose $50. :(

Apologize for being off topic, but this exact thing has kept me away from getting a fitting.
I have yet to develop a repeatable swing and I am very inconsistent.
I would think lessons/practice to get the swing, then a fitting IMO.

Your a 13 HC, to me that means a repeatable swing. Why not get fit? I know you stated you are very inconsistent, which I am as well and will need another fitting at some point to reassure or change. But why not get fit? Research fitters in your area and try it.

As for the OP's topic, you will never break even. Golf is a game of love and that means buying new equipment, me I buy to much but it's a passion and I buy what I want and can afford, sell what you can to help your hobby/passion.

1) I don't want to think about it.
2) Nah, I know I'll probably lose money.
3) Nah, I like to impulse buy things. And even when I get fit, I still second guess my choices.

I haven't been able to resell any of my clubs. I have a hard time parting with golf equipment, so even though people have offered to buy, I have to say no. I am getting a little collection going it seems.

I don't think I can technically say I lost anything. Broke even selling my Callaway X20s for the W/S Di11s, and really needed to upgrade my 7 yr old Cobra driver and got the Razr Fit on clearance at $100 less than I was planning on paying for the Amp Cell. So I consider that fairly even.

When it comes to the total bottom line on this I usually channel my inner Sargeant Schultz "I know nothing!". I just try and get the best deal I can on both ends of the transaction.

Never thought about the math... But I came out ahead with THP hooking me up in the Callaway event

Holycrap I bought and sold a lot of gear last year. FIrst huge mistake was Adams CB3 irons - took a bath on those. Probably bought & sold over a dozen other clubs. Finally got my bag dialed in - new wedges, hybrids, putter - all but driver changed last year.

Back