Teen sues parents for financial support

Ridiculous, bring back the ass whoopin!

She's 18 and there are some obligations if she's not under their 'sphere of influence' even at that age. I think it will come down to whether she was kicked out or chose to leave. Apparently both are claiming a different story there.

This story was the topic on a local radio station during my morning drive to work. Based on what they were stating - she claimed she was kicked out of the house and the parents are claiming that she refused to follow rules within the house (curfew, chores, etc.). It was comical and sad to listen all at the same time. Neither side wins except for the attorney who will be paid by one side after all of this..

Sad and ridiculous. Based solely on observation it sounds like a stuck up girl that is not getting her way, maybe for the first time in her life. Gets her phone taken away and not allowed to see her boyfriend, dives into the deep end without thinking.

I don't understand why she couldn't just stay home for her last year of highschool und then choose a college that is far away so that her parents still pay the tuition but so she can live alone ...

I bet the lawyer that accepted her case is a sorrier piece of crap than everyone else involved.

Gets her phone taken away and not allowed to see her boyfriend, dives into the deep end without thinking.
From what I have heard, her best friends father (where she is staying) is the lawyer that is representing her. He should stay out of it.

Also heard she was upset with her parents because they refused to continue to pay her private school tuition because she was starting to do poorly (skipping school, trend of poor grades, etc). I say that you can just as easily go fail in public school as you can in private school, and all for significantly less.

I don't understand why she couldn't just stay home for her last year of highschool und then choose a college that is far away so that her parents still pay the tuition but so she can live alone ...

She didn't want to live at home. Her parents didn't approve of her boyfriend. So the daughter left

Parents just don't understand

when i clicked on this thread i figured it was gonna be a smart kid suing their parents who treated them like crap or didn't support them in anything, but of course it's some stupid spoiled brat. i see this type of behavior too often in high school. one of my teammates' parents bought him an '04 BMW 545 for his birthday. he's 16.

At this point I would let her move home for the rest of high school and then send her on her way.

She didn't want to live at home. Her parents didn't approve of her boyfriend. So the daughter left

Parents just don't understand

Who knew that the Fresh Prince was right all along.

I didn't realize that it left. My parents didn't get the memo.

Yep. My generation came up with the Time Out idea. And no toy guns. We sure effed up.

When I wanted to go to college, my parents didn't have enough money. I then got several scholarships. When my money dried up, I didn't sue them. I joined the Marine Corps.

Future start of Real Housewives here...she's demanding alimony already.

Funny stuff!!!! Kid sounds like a spoiled brat. I wonder who will end up paying the kids lawyer fees. Since she is 17, I don't think the court can make the parents pay....can they? If she was under 16, I think the courts could make the parents pay her legal fees. But, I'm just guessing.

Her friends parents are paying the legal fees which may lend some credence to her allegations. They all seems like a**holes to me. She doesn't seem like that much trouble but her parents don't seem like prizes either. Seems like authoritarian people that can't handle their child growing up and having opinions.

Teen sues parents for financial support

Edit: nevermind. Don't wanna get into it.

I pray that I do a good parenting job, so that such a situation as this never faces me.

If it does, I will have to consider my parenting skills total crap, and myself a miserable parent.

Sometimes apples can fall far from the tree, but it sounds like this family didn't have the best communication amongst all members of the family.

Her friends parents are paying the legal fees which may lend some credence to her allegations. They all seems like a**holes to me. She doesn't seem like that much trouble but her parents don't seem like prizes either. Seems like authoritarian people that can't handle their child growing up and having opinions.
I read her friend's dad was the attorney, and they were suing for the parents to pay the legal fees as well.

From what I've read so far I can't get on board with this assessment. Expecting kids to actually attend school and have a curfew is perfectly acceptable. The boyfriend situation is a trickier, so who knows on that one. But teenagers generally tend to get more leeway on those types of things when they earn the right to be trusted by doing the right thing elsewhere. I think we've all experienced similar stuff as teenagers. It may not be fun, but them's the rules.

This is the most frivolous lawsuit I've ever seen...

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I heard a report about this on the radio a few days ago and that was all of the information that I wanted to know, dysfunctional family at its finest IMO.

NJ Teen Who Sued Parents for Child Support & Tuition Returns Home

BY
FOX NEWS INSIDER
// MAR 12 2014 // 8:35PM AS SEEN ON
ON THE RECORD WITH GRETA VAN SUSTEREN

The New Jersey teen who sued her parents for tuition and child support has returned home, but the lawsuit is apparently still on.

Rachel Canning, 18, is back in her Lincoln Park home after a judge denied her request for $645 per week in child support, thousands in legal fees, and reimbursement of her high school tuition. Canning accused her parents of kicking her out of their house a few days before she turned 18, but her parents say she left voluntarily because she didn’t want to follow their rules, like being respectful, adhering to a curfew and doing chores around the house.

The teen’s parents said that in fall 2013, she began drinking every weekend, bragging about her hangovers and breaking curfew. They also said she stole from them and used their credit cards to buy clothes for herself. Canning was suspended for two days for reportedly drinking at her school’s homecoming.

Canning alleged that her parents mentally and physically abused her. The Department of Family Services could not find anything to back those claims. Attorney Angelo Sarno says he still represents Canning and that the case is still on.

Greta Van Susteren discussed the case today with defense attorney Ted Williams, as well as a teen panel.

Back