Face height on fairway woods - what do you prefer and why?

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have recently come to the realization that the Mashie 3W in my bag is one of the deeper faced FW's out there these days, and it's got me pondering a shallower faced 3W (and maybe 5W) for ease of hitting off the deck and a little more spin on low face shots. So I was wondering what everybody else thought - is a shallow face better for your game, or do you prefer a deeper face? And what drives your preference (hitting off the deck, spin level, etc.)?

Shallowish. The Mashie FWs were also too deep for me as well

I really don't know. I am going to experiment with a Cally 3 Deep and see how it goes.

I prefer a shallow face, because I like to use the FWs off the turf. I've never had issues hitting a shallow faced FW off a tee, but I've beer had much luck hitting a deep faced FW off the turf.

i also prefer the shallower models. Easier to hit off the deck for me.

I prefer Deeper for 3 wood since i use it twice as offen off the tee than the deck I prefer a shallow 5 wood since it is the opposite

I prefer a shallow face, because I like to use the FWs off the turf. I've never had issues hitting a shallow faced FW off a tee, but I've beer had much luck hitting a deep faced FW off the turf.

I usually need a beer after a thin ball with a deeper faced FW :alien: The Mashie is so great in all areas except that low face miss - it can result in straight up disaster for me.

+1 exactly.

That what I get for not checking the tapatalk spell check.

Boom.

At any rate, deep faced FWs never seem to work for me off the turf. Shallow ones are just better for me.

I love my mashie off the deck but I couldnt hit it from the deck... I prefer them a bitt shallower for versatility but not so much

I prefer a taller face but that's all I've really hit or had in the bag, I need to do some experimenting.

I like a shallower face and smaller profile if I am going to be using a wood off the deck. Just easier for me to hit. I do like a deeper face for a club I hit off the tee more often though.

I prefer shallow. Deep face and I aren't friends from the fairway :/

I like lower profile.

Prefer taller face on my 3w as it gives me more confidence off the tee even though my current gamer isn't that deep. I like a shallower face for my 5w as that is used more off the deck.

The low profile fits my eyes better ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how I am going to use them. Off the tee - deeper. Off the deck, shallow.

I prefer a swallow face too. I didn't get along well with the Mashie fairways so I went back to my older Cleveland FL.

I like my 3Deep from the tee but not so much from the deck. The deck is thin city & that doesn't work out well for anybody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hit the 5deep further than the Bertha 3w.

For me more loft + deeper face = better

I think it depends on the use case. If I am going to use the FW as a secondary tee club and never hit it off the deck, then give me a deep faced one with a low loft. If I'm going to try and ever hit it off of the deck, then I'll take a shallow one with a bit more loft.

One issue for me is for the FW not to be too large. There's a difference between shallow and a pancake. The K15 3W for instance was just too big for me. If I were in a range session and had my swing grooved in, I could stripe it. When I was out on the course and had to pick it up cold to go get the ball off of the deck, about half the time I bounced it in. Ugh.

As for the original post, I never had much luck with a F3 or a TF3 from the deck. About 1 in 10 were serviceable shots. Admittedly FWs from the deck are low percentage shots, but at least with some other designs (e.g. Tour Edge Trilogy and my current XHot) I'm up over 50% that are good.

I prefer shallow off the deck and deep off the tee. It's a good thing I have both options right now.

Sounds like most people prefer shallow for off the deck use, which makes sense. I actually feel like going a little shallower could help me out on the tee as well, because it will make my tee height a little more uniform as I transition from FW's into hybrids. Right now I have a tendency to tee it too low with the F3, which led to some serious nastiness in my last round.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I hit the 5deep further than the Bertha 3w.

For me more loft + deeper face = better

The Callaway Deep series just seem like monsters i noticed last year that the 3deep was not that hard to hit off the deck cut sure shinned off the tee

We shall see this year. I will be experimenting with some Callaway Deep FWs and look forward to finding out what I like best.

Back