Social Levels of Forums

For me personally, I see posts from new people with questions and I would love to answer them but I just dont know the answer. I struggle all the time with, do I just post anything so that they know their post isnt being ignored? Or do I just hope that someone with the knowledge to answer the question, does indeed do that. Everyone was new once and we have ALL had those moments where we feel that our posts were being ignored. Just keep posting, you will find the answers you want and you will start conversations and you will make friends like you never thought you could through an internet message board. I PROMISE YOU.

I get it. I still think there are some cliques within THP. The forum has grown exponentially since this thread was originally started but at times the same feelings still exist. Having been around since before the OP was started I can tell you that while I think there are still some cliques, that it's better than it has been in years.

I remember being new, it's tough. Sometimes you feel you get lost in the shuffle. I went to my first outing and I never felt that way again. For those who can make it to THP events, I highly encourage it. You will see the forum in a completely different way after it. For those that haven't had the opportunity yet, the best thing to do is to stay active. Talk golf, get to know some of the members here. I know it may not be easy, but it's definitely worth it.

As for things that may bother you on the site. Never hesitate to talk to a member of the staff. I know all our inboxes are open to hear from people.

I definitely agree with exec here! Once you attend any THP event (even a local get-together), you realize how many people have made close friendships, but also how welcoming everyone is. I don't think it's clicque-ish (very little inside jokes, etc., no condescending behavior, or rudeness), and these guys are always willing to help

This was a good read and it's similar to how I felt at first. It at first seemed like unless I attended a THP event I am doomed to be a fringe member with an inferior opinion, and once that mentality sets in it's tough to contribute positively. After sticking it out and just continuing to post in the threads that peak my interest most of that has gone away. I have a great group of friends on here now that is small, but growing, and TheKing is probably going to make this experience blow up to the next level.

The most important thing is to not take it personally when it seems like your post has been passed over. There are many close friends on this board and it's just human nature that they are way more likely to hand out a 'thanks', quote and respond to their friend as opposed to a stranger even if the posts were the same. It's something I am going to work on as I am more than likely closer to being part of the problem as opposed to the solution.

CS Lewis' speech "The Inner Ring" is a great read and it touches on many of the elements you find on an online message board, or any large group of people really.

Precisely. I just resolved to find my space on THP because there is something for all.

I find it amusing that everyone is focused on Brian's post and he was not the OP. The OP smitty, posted and left. He had the stones, not Brian.

As for cliques, please share these with me because I want to be a part of one. If having friends and communicating with them is cliquish, then I guess I am guilty. I frustrates me that this thread was revived in an attempt to stir the pot. If the OP was truly concerned, I would think his thoughts would have been expounded upon. Not posted and left. They are his thoughts therefore valid, for him. I don't agree and that is valid for me.

But to say this place has cliques is way off base to me. Out of all the members we have on THP, there are some very active folks on a daily basis. They communicate, keep threads going and banters about. There are folks that might make 200 post in a month, and they say what they want and thrive. There are folks that are not active and they get lost when they post, that shouldn't be but it's the way it is.

Its a catch 22, if you want to be apart of the happenings on THP, you must be active. If not you're going to get lost in the shuffle. I am very active and my post get jumped over all the time. The simple fact is that people respond to A. What interest them B. what they can relate to C. What they want to argue about D. What they think is valid information or E. Their buddies

if I got bent everytime I made what I thought was a solid post and got no love for it, I would have left along time ago. But the simple fact is that this a golf forum, the best one I know. Everyone is welcome and you choose to be as active as you want. Taking everything personally is on you. Because in the grand scheme of things the opinions of those you care about and care about should matter. Not what Dev or Jman or tpluff thinks. These guys are sitting on their couches typing away just like eyrie else. They have lives, jobs and families. They choose to be active and so can you.

I'm not going to get into thp events because I have been to ton and they are great bit they are not for everyone. Some people can't start a friendship out of thin air. Some end a push and you can get lost with this bunch of out going golfers. There are so many event for people to enter it's not funny. Taking THP on the road is not small task, it a moving machine with lots of parts. You want to meet some new people, play golf and have a freak'n blast, sign up. You'll never know til you try.

I've been here just a couple of months, so the feelings of "Will I fit in?" are pretty fresh in my mind. I think it's natural for people to want to be part of a group, no one wants to be the one who is forever on the outside looking in. The issue of being "left out", as I see it, crops up because it takes longer to get to know someone on a MB as opposed to meeting someone in person. In a matter of 20 minutes or so - in person - you and I could have an extremely indepth conversation, cover a range of topics and end the convo feeling as if we have really begun to know that person we were talking with. On a MB however, those conversations are fragmented, scattered over a dozen or so areas, and involve a lot of extra "noise" (other people interjecting). Now add to this the mix that some people here really have met each other, and have had those one-on-one conversations, in addition to the discussions here on the MB. I wouldn't say these are clique's, just as if you are newly introduced to a group of people in real life, that they're in a clique and you are not. Relationships take time, and I think that on a MB they make take even longer because of the things I have mentioned above.

When I first posted here people were very welcoming and I was immediately invited to consider the Hilton Head Invitational. At first I didn't understand what they were talking about (they invited me to HHI to watch golf?) but after some browsing I figured it out and was very excited, so I signed up and got in. Am I nervous about meeting these guys in person? Yeah, I'm not an outgoing individual (until I warm up), but I already know we all have one thing in common (we love to play golf) so that's already broken the ice. I trust people when they say this is a welcoming group, and all levels of play are welcome (because I am currently very very bad) so rather than dread having to talk people up, I am excited about the opportunity to meet these guys.

As with everything else in life, things don't always come easy. You want to feel welcomed here? You need to put in the effort. You can't post a couple dozen times and then claim people are ignoring you or don't care. Read, comment, joke around, be serious. Let people get to figure you out, but that comes with time and posting. I was glad I stuck it out, and I'm looking forward to continuing to contribute here and interacting with the guys and gals of THP.

I've been here just a couple of months, so the feelings of "Will I fit in?" are pretty fresh in my mind. I think it's natural for people to want to be part of a group, no one wants to be the one who is forever on the outside looking in. The issue of being "left out", as I see it, crops up because it takes longer to get to know someone on a MB as opposed to meeting someone in person. In a matter of 20 minutes or so - in person - you and I could have an extremely indepth conversation, cover a range of topics and end the convo feeling as if we have really begun to know that person we were talking with. On a MB however, those conversations are fragmented, scattered over a dozen or so areas, and involve a lot of extra "noise" (other people interjecting). Now add to this the mix that some people here really have met each other, and have had those one-on-one conversations, in addition to the discussions here on the MB. I wouldn't say these are clique's, just as if you are newly introduced to a group of people in real life, that they're in a clique and you are not. Relationships take time, and I think that on a MB they make take even longer because of the things I have mentioned above.

When I first posted here people were very welcoming and I was immediately invited to consider the Hilton Head Invitational. At first I didn't understand what they were talking about (they invited me to HHI to watch golf?) but after some browsing I figured it out and was very excited, so I signed up and got in. Am I nervous about meeting these guys in person? Yeah, I'm not an outgoing individual (until I warm up), but I already know we all have one thing in common (we love to play golf) so that's already broken the ice. I trust people when they say this is a welcoming group, and all levels of play are welcome (because I am currently very very bad) so rather than dread having to talk people up, I am excited about the opportunity to meet these guys.

As with everything else in life, things don't always come easy. You want to feel welcomed here? You need to put in the effort. You can't post a couple dozen times and then claim people are ignoring you or don't care. Read, comment, joke around, be serious. Let people get to figure you out, but that comes with time and posting. I was glad I stuck it out, and I'm looking forward to continuing to contribute here and interacting with the guys and gals of THP.

We should meet in santee and play lol. I'll pm you.

What's an MB? Muscle back maybe :confused2:

I think it's a message board.

Message Board(?)

Great post! Not much to add, except it helps to have a sense of humor AND not take yourself too seriously. That sense of being ignored is usually just my own insecurity rather than an actual slight to my person. Keep posting & anyone will eventually find that group of members that they interact with more.

I don't feel that way at all. I've had great conversations with many different people on THP since the day I joined. The information that is shared and discussed is extremely interesting and relevant and I've learned so much which is the reason I've come to love this forum. I wasn't drawn to this forum because of the events and prizes and opportunities (which are awesome BTW). To that point though if you stripped everything away the people are still the same people that I've had conversations with and who have been super helpful with suggestions recommendations and banter, so it would still be the forum I joined for the same reasons I joined. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I think some of you guys are very open minded and welcoming others just don't seem to get it i will try to stay active and post even if not all care what i have to say if feel bad that i brought it up i guess some people have had a better expericance in shorter time periods on this board everyones milage varies. I am not trieing to stir the pot i was just triying to draw some attention to how i was feeling about this board i hope this is not held aganist me.

This was a good read and it's similar to how I felt at first. It at first seemed like unless I attended a THP event I am doomed to be a fringe member with an inferior opinion, and once that mentality sets in it's tough to contribute positively. After sticking it out and just continuing to post in the threads that peak my interest most of that has gone away. I have a great group of friends on here now that is small, but growing, and TheKing is probably going to make this experience blow up to the next level.

The most important thing is to not take it personally when it seems like your post has been passed over. There are many close friends on this board and it's just human nature that they are way more likely to hand out a 'thanks', quote and respond to their friend as opposed to a stranger even if the posts were the same. It's something I am going to work on as I am more than likely closer to being part of the problem as opposed to the solution.

CS Lewis' speech "The Inner Ring" is a great read and it touches on many of the elements you find on an online message board, or any large group of people really.

This was right on the money, well said.

I think some of you guys are very open minded and welcoming others just don't seem to get it i will try to stay active and post even if not all care what i have to say if feel bad that i brought it up i guess some people have had a better expericance in shorter time periods on this board everyones milage varies. I am not trieing to stir the pot i was just triying to draw some attention to how i was feeling about this board i hope this is not held aganist me.

Dude absolutely not! I love hearing peoples opinions, whether I understand them or not. You have been nothing but civil in explaining your experience. I hope you continue to get together with some of the guys on the West Coast, and hopefully I will get to meet you at a THP event someday!

I for one am glad you brought it up. It's made me think about being more including and a better community member.

I'm going to go the other way with this. I think all the events should be in Florida. More specifically in Tallahassee. Even more specifically, I think they should be free for me, I should be provided transporatation and have my meals paid for. That's not unreasonable, is it?

PS: Freddie, I'm starting a clique. You're in it.

Nothing wrong with speaking up, I'm sure others have felt the same way. You've got to take it for what it's worth.
If you post a comment and doesn't get acknowledged, don't take it personally, happens to everyone at times.
I do find it funny to watch people rattle off comment after comment the minute any of the THP staff or BMOCs post anything.
But then again, they are kind of like pseudo-celebrities of THP :)
Just stay involved, having members on your friend list, participating in common interest and local threads help with this.

Back