What's up with Wedge Grinds?

v.man

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
W.I.P.
I have been looking at wedges lately and found that I knew very little about them, especially when it comes to grinds. It seems manufacturers are offering a plethora of flavors when it comes to wedges these days and it can be quite confusing. Callaway, for instance, has 3 different grinds for their new Mack Daddy 2 wedges , and within those a number of bounce options. Choosing a wedge, unless you’re just gaming those that match your irons, has become somewhat of challenge. So, I’ve been researching a little and have become a little smarter, but, still not smart enough to really know what’s best for me. I thought others might be in the same boat and a thread here might help us out.

My first exposure to grinds was a few years ago when I bought a couple Scratch Golf wedges. They have 3 different grinds to select from based on one’s swing type—Digger/Driver, Driver/Slider, and Sweeper/Slider. I had no idea what a Driver/Slider swing looks like, but, I did know that I was a Sweeper/Slider, so, that was simple.

For the Mack Daddy 2 (the culprit that got me into this), Callaway offers S, C, and U grinds. We won’t go into bounces within those, because I’m totally ignorant on bounces. “S” stands for Standard, and as best I can determine, is best for straight forward, squared up striking of the ball. The “C” grind is the most versatile grind (I find this out after I already bought an “S” grind) and allows you to lay the club more open for some shots, effectively lessening the bounce while letting the leading edge slide cleanly under the ball. The “U” wedge was designed for Phil, I think, and is for swings that are steeper and aggressive in the higher lofts. With this knowledge, I can eliminate the “U” because I’m not all that steep and can’t even hit a 60* wedge. I’d probably lean toward “C” if it really is the most versatile. But, when you throw in lofts, it’s still a challenge.

It begs the question, should the average golfer even be worrying about this? Or, is this something for scratch, or nearly so, golfers?

What are your thoughts? AND Those of you out there who are really knowledgeable about the topic, please help the rest of us out and share.

Callaway got Roger Cleveland to do a video series on the new wedges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn-7dGDSCM0

That is the link to the 1st video that covers the grinds. I had the same question as you and it gave me some clarity before I went out shopping.

Callaway got Roger Cleveland to do a video series on the new wedges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn-7dGDSCM0

That is the link to the 1st video that covers the grinds. I had the same question as you and it gave me some clarity before I went out shopping.

Yeah, that is where I've gotten most of my info so far. Their "Wedgeucation" series is very good.

I used to think it was pointless, but my experience with Hopkins convinced me there was some credence to the whole thing. Having a wedge that opens up easier for example is a great benefit for me in the higher lofts. Gets the leading edge lower and makes some shots easier to pull off. Another favorite is the grind that will drop the leading edge lower on square shots, which is nice from tighter lies, but give you max bounce opened up - good for sand and fluffier lies.

I think you have to look at what conditions you are playing in and your wedge game. Hopkins website is a great resource even if you aren't buying their product.

I've been pondering getting non-set wedges, but because I have the Rocketballz PW, AW, and SW with the ATV soles I am not sure if it is worth me changing it up. Are these non-set wedges really that much different than what I have already? Do the grinds make a huge difference or should I just stay with my ATV soles set wedges?

Since the request has already been made for people with far more of a clue than I to throw in their two cents, I'll also ask; if the bottom of my wedge (56-14) looks like the picture below, does that indicate one of those grinds benefiting me more or less?

apy8u6un.jpg

age4e4eq.jpg

I will also accept "no, it just means you are terrible"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The “U” wedge was designed for Phil, I think, and is for swings that are steeper and aggressive in the higher lofts. With this knowledge, I can eliminate the “U” because I’m not all that steep and can’t even hit a 60* wedge

you might want to give the "U" grind a try it will suprize you i have found it very similar to the L/M grinds on the vokey's and looks very close to the new ATV grind on the TM TP wedges it allows for Dynamic bounce and opens very easily.

It begs the question, should the average golfer even be worrying about this?
I simply worried about loft and bounce. I'm pretty sure given my course conditions I have the proper bounce for the wedges I have. Not even sure grinds were an option for the TW9's I have back when they were released. I have enough to worry about without adding "grind" to that list.

Since the request has already been made for people with far more of a clue than I to throw in their two cents, I'll also ask; if the bottom of my wedge (56-14) looks like the picture below, does that indicate one of those grinds benefiting me more or less?

apy8u6un.jpg

age4e4eq.jpg

I will also accept "no, it just means you are terrible"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really.

I used to think it was pointless, but my experience with Hopkins convinced me there was some credence to the whole thing. Having a wedge that opens up easier for example is a great benefit for me in the higher lofts. Gets the leading edge lower and makes some shots easier to pull off. Another favorite is the grind that will drop the leading edge lower on square shots, which is nice from tighter lies, but give you max bounce opened up - good for sand and fluffier lies.

I think you have to look at what conditions you are playing in and your wedge game. Hopkins website is a great resource even if you aren't buying their product.

Forgot about Hopkins. Great suggestion, Hawk.

All of the grind options out there is actually one of the reasons I went with my score wedges, One grind to do everything.

Forgot about Hopkins. Great suggestion, Hawk.

You'll learn a ton about grinds there, and they also have a really good 'learn from the pros' page with all kinds of tips for the short game. Also, how to incorporate grinds into your short game.

You'll learn a ton about grinds there, and they also have a really good 'learn from the pros' page with all kinds of tips for the short game. Also, how to incorporate grinds into your short game.

Great, I sneak over to the site for a few minutes at work just to catch up and now Hawk drops this little tid bit. No work to be done here today.

Great, I sneak over to the site for a few minutes at work just to catch up and now Hawk drops this little tid bit. No work to be done here today.

Ha! I've lost hours of sleep on their site. Learned a few things that I actually use in my game as well.

ok so lets say someone doesnt care for opening up the face at all, we will call him BikeBean442, would a guy like that just standard it out with the callaway grind options? Bikebean is also a sweeper of the ball.

ok so lets say someone doesnt care for opening up the face at all, we will call him BikeBean442, would a guy like that just standard it out with the callaway grind options? Bikebean is also a sweeper of the ball.

S grind is what you are looking for Mikey.

S grind is what your friend is looking for Mikey.

FIFY.

And yeah I figured, until I get some serious short game work in and lessons, me getting fancy around the greens just aint happening.

now give me a few months and I'll be ready to open them up and flop away

S grind is what you are looking for Mikey.

So let's say you have another friend name mechanico_74 & has a steeper angle of attack with wedges...... Should I.....I mean.... He be a better fit for U or C grinds?

2461552.jpg

HAHA.

Mechanico would probably be a fit for the C grind and maybe a U in the higher loft if he was looking to get fancy.

I went like this with my MD2's, because I use different lofts for different things.

S grind in the 53 because I use that one mostly as a pitching club from a couple different ranges. Lower bounce and straighter leading edge are what I like with that shot.
C grind in the 57 because I like to open that one up more often and use it in the sand. Bouncier as well.
U grind in the 61. I wanted to try it out first of all, but the attraction was it's versatility for close in shots.

HAHA.

Mechanico would probably be a fit for the C grind and maybe a U in the higher loft if he was looking to get fancy.

I went like this with my MD2's, because I use different lofts for different things.

S grind in the 53 because I use that one mostly as a pitching club from a couple different ranges. Lower bounce and straighter leading edge are what I like with that shot.
C grind in the 57 because I like to open that one up more often and use it in the sand. Bouncier as well.
U grind in the 61. I wanted to try it out first of all, but the attraction was it's versatility for close in shots.

Hawk, what did you go with in your Hopkins wedges? I remembered you posting in there but that's a lot of pages to filter through. I have a 50 and 54 with the heel/toe in my 54 I'm looking at the channel in the 58*

I went with a shelf grind in the gap wedge. Then heel/toe the 54 & 58. I think I would have just gone standard in the gap wedge if I could do it over again.

All I know is I was told I was a digger years ago and to play high bounce wedges, so far they've worked well for me. The Hopkins site has more info than I know what to do with, good lord, those folks are genius.

HAHA.

I have a similar set up to you

52* is S grind Full swing and most chipping
58* is U Grind very Versatile Sand short shots easy to flop
64* is S Grind bent to a 62* the bounce is 6 low bounce very easy to flop I like it when i play scrambles(hero shots) or when i play a course with elevated greens

Very nice. Love that U.

Back