The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit balls at golf galaxy

Reconfirmed my want for another lesson before Hilton Head, just didnt feel comfortable over the ball at all.

How many balls actually went under the screen?

80% 80% 80%

Played yesterday with the goal of swinging 80%, which in reality is a full swing for me and I saw the same distances (more consistently) and I was in tempo SO much more. Also been focusing on taking more club from the fairways and playing the more straight forward shot around the greens. Its amazing how many more greens I hit and how much better I was pitching and chipping. Driver swing is still way too long, but I'm getting there.

80% 80% 80%

Played yesterday with the goal of swinging 80%, which in reality is a full swing for me and I saw the same distances (more consistently) and I was in tempo SO much more. Also been focusing on taking more club from the fairways and playing the more straight forward shot around the greens. Its amazing how many more greens I hit and how much better I was pitching and chipping. Driver swing is still way too long, but I'm getting there.
How do you gauge 80%? I've tried in the past, but catch myself slowing down too much and not putting a good swing on the ball. Do you have a trigger, or a swing thought that keeps you consistent? For me, there's a fine line between swinging to hard, and not getting through the ball.

In my range session last night I was thinking 50% and just peppering the 150 flag with the 7i. Just reaffirming that even a half swing thought still delivers a full swing result (for me).

Excited to try the notion of taking the extra club tomorrow on the course.

Gotta remember: +1

How do you gauge 80%? I've tried in the past, but catch myself slowing down too much and not putting a good swing on the ball. Do you have a trigger, or a swing thought that keeps you consistent? For me, there's a fine line between swinging to hard, and not getting through the ball.

Its all feel.

My issue is that I overswing, both in length and TRYING to hit the ball harder. For me, the Panda 80% thought puts me with a shorter swing and better tempo that in reality is a full swing. Its all in the mind.

80% 80% 80%

Yep, tempo, tempo, tempo. Keep going.

JM

Its all feel.

My issue is that I overswing, both in length and TRYING to hit the ball harder. For me, the Panda 80% thought puts me with a shorter swing and better tempo that in reality is a full swing. Its all in the mind.
I experience that as well. When I deliberately shorten my backswing, I see much better results, but still feel like I have to put an aggressive move on the ball.

I'm very inconsistent with my swing, but there are some, that just have that "it" feel to them and the ball just goes. When I try to slow down, whether 80% or 50% or whatever, bad things usually happen sooner than later.

Your last sentence "it's all in the mind" tells me all I need to know as to why I struggle with it. HA!

While it warmed up here today, the course was too wet to play, so I had a nice session on the practice green working on the old short game.

Its all feel.

Caught myself slipping back in to over swinging the other night when I shot some video. Backed it off and low and frickin behold, ball striking went through the roof. Craziness.

While it warmed up here today, the course was too wet to play, so I had a nice session on the practice green working on the old short game.

It's so nice here today, 48 and sunny. Snow is burning off quick but it is still gonna be a bit before courses open around here.

In my range session last night I was thinking 50% and just peppering the 150 flag with the 7i. Just reaffirming that even a half swing thought still delivers a full swing result (for me).

Excited to try the notion of taking the extra club tomorrow on the course.

Gotta remember: +1

Funny you mention this.

Was working on what I thought was half swings, but in reality on video they are closer to 75%, and like you said straight and tight.

used this when I played at the MC last year and worked out just fine.

Not so much though with the driver

Just had my first lesson since I started playing golf. First off let me say I went into this with an open mind, knowing that I could possibly be told, "how have you managed getting around the course?".

To begin we basically discussed what my goals were, along with the timeframe to get there. We entered my data into the FlightScope and then I proceeded to warm up. As I glanced at the 62" monitor my worst nightmare was confirmed...a significant loss of distance. That's ok right?!?! I've only been out taking full swings based on the weather twice.

Next he sprayed some powder on my club face to see where I was making impact...high on the face. So we put the clubs down and jumped in and looked at some video.

Setup:
My left side looked perfect grip wise, etc. as for the right, my grip was slightly turned over. As far as ball placement, just a tad far forward.
Adjustments: turn my right hand grip over a bit.

Swing: Now for the biggy...what I've always expected, was pointed out on video. My backswing was so offline and pointed to the right of my target that my downswing was causing me to have a swing path way left, there leaving the club face open at impact. Therefore severe loss of distance.
So we based my swing against Steve Stricker's due to it being so simple.
yqugu7y3.jpg

u5a8u7e7.jpg
3u2uhera.jpg

On to get the training aids out to work on getting my left arm more parallel to target and shoulder more back. On the downswing we wanted to work on dropping the arms down and keeping my back to target longer.
With my swing path going more right of target.

This will be the hardest to break and will take a lot of muscle/swing memory, as I've engrained my swing to hold back to keep the ball from shooting way left.

Now onto swing...difficult trying to just swing and not think. I now can relate to those taking lessons. After a few moments of frustration it started to click. Swing path numbers and club face numbers were drastically better. By the last five swings I was puring my 6i 180+ on carry. Ball contact was good and I even started drawing the ball. Distance gained as I was hitting my 6i only 165 or so.

http://youtu.be/ZiT4DCcLmh0

Now to practice, practice, practice. Keep the toe up on take away.

Darn do I look fat on video.

It's awesome seeing all the lessons and progress that is being made as the season approaches for most of us.

I had a lesson this morning and the focus was on fine tuning things so I can play well for HHI.

My swing is still getting long as I warm up and my numbers and shot shape is ugly but improve significantly after about 5 swings. Apparently I need time to warm up before I can do anything remotely right.

Went through drills trying to keep me from taking the club too far back which causes the club to crossover and my weight to go back to the left. This is something I have to fix and apparently need to change something to keep my swing shorter(4inches or so).

We worked with driver quite a bit today and that wore me out. I've lost a good 7mph on SS with the swing change being that it doesn't feel comfortable yet. Every now and then I get a great swing and my SS is higher than before, something I need to do more of. We played with shafts and loft to get my dispersion down to playable(82g D+ in X, tour green, Rip in X, UST tour black 79g in X) the tour black with loft at 8.5 was best 270-280 total and launch at 14.6 and 2200 rpm and dispersion from 5yd right to 2.3yd left.

A your an idiot moment happened today as well while trying to figure how to repeatedly and consistently shorten my swing, when I swing out of shaft parallel it perfect time and time again, regular swing is hit or miss and I'm not rotating right hand through/before the ball. Well I realized out of shaft parallel my right elbow stays pointing down and forearms stay together, so I started concentrating on keeping the Right elbow down and forearms together, instantly I couldn't take the club back longer than necessary, swing path went inside to out from outside in and my fade went away and started drawing the ball with irons and woods.

It was a great day, now to do work to make it repeatable. I got one lesson next Thursday before HHI.

Sorry for the rambling.

Nice start MM. Pleanty of time to get ready before July. It will be fun to see how many strokes you can shave off your index after getting some lessons for the frist time ever.

Short day at work, so grabbed the clubs and went to the range and set a tee time to play 9 holes. Figures, as I was leaving it started to sprinkle. Grabbed a large bucket and was fighting my tempo again and it took almost the whole bucket to calm down and get smooth (er). Went and played the 9 holes in a drizzle that picked up into gentle cold rain. First time in moisture, so it was different. Ended up at +2 and was happy with that even though it's a pretty easy course.

Decided to hit another medium bucket and my tempo was better. Really started to come down so decided to leave and started snowing as I was driving home. Good day and can't wait to get my first lesson, or can I? A bit nervous, but will be good for me.

Nice start MM. Pleanty of time to get ready before July. It will be fun to see how many strokes you can shave off your index after getting some lessons for the frist time ever.

Felt good finally breaking down my swing. The plus side was he said outside of my inside to over the top combo everything else looks good.

Love seeing everyone doing some serious work on their games. The low scores will be here soon and in abundance.

Spent an hour on the range trying to work on tempo. Amazing that where I think my backswing is, really is way too far. My idea of 3/4 swing is actually my full swing. Once I got it down balls flew straighter and longer with the trajectory I wanted. Just need to keep at it.

first day in Indiana where I found more than 5 feet of bare ground to swing. Been working on slamming the club down, ...even though turf was real wet. It is still working like a charm, I was literally swinging as hard as I could, but ball was just compress\squeezing off of the face.. Was real nervous about the wet turf... But in a way, it really showed me that im swinging real well this early in the year. no fats...but all ball and real real long narrow divot after.

So if you want to a check for yourself...try not to hit fat off of super wet turf. If you are hitting crisp...your going to have a good ball striking round

Just my 2 cents...here on the practice tee

Finally got outside to hit some balls. It was so nice to actually see ball flight, even if it was with crappy range balls.

Spent some time at the range tonight myself.

Concentrated on fairway woods mostly. Finished up with wedges, and really controlling the flight. Crapola range balls are no real indication of spin, but the swing felt pretty good. I was able to flight it down, and control distance pretty well. More work for sure with wedges as we near the season.

Love seeing everyone doing some serious work on their games. The low scores will be here soon and in abundance.

Agreed!!! Seeing others post about their sessions really fires me up to step up and do work. I refuse to be the same guy score wise that everyone has seen the last two yrs. I will be a different player on the course, I will still have a blast but I will be a force to reckon with when it comes to score and matches.

7yry8y5e.jpg

The range is open at AMarts house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

No outside practice for me today. To many things going on. I was able to swing in the house with a practice aid and so foam balls. I guess it's better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back