How hard do you swing?

How hard do you swing?

• Total voters
According to golfinFF I swing like a girl.

I swing slow but way more controlled than I used to. But I need to start going after shots with the driver more.

A big ugly girl

I pretty much swing nearly as hard as I can WHILE under control - for the most part. Off the tee is rip city.

Typical driver for me is 103-105, I can't go less than 100% if I do I block shots out to the right

Interesting question as today after about the 7th hole I consciously backed off of my swing and started trying to swing smoothly and be sure to accelerate past the ball. The results were very similar but the effort was much less. I have something to work on for sure as I am sure I was swinging too hard.

too hard...

I swing as hard as I can with each club. If I start trying to lay off I get out of sync and my hands take over. Fore Left!

I like to leave some in the tank for the irons. I'm a 80% driver, 70% irons, 60% wedges kind of swinger. 99% chance I swing them all the same % but in my head it works this way!

Too hard. Something that i'm working on.

I typically go about 85% that is where I get my best results.

Most of the time i hit it at about 95%. but i'm trying to get it down to about 85% for accuracy and distance.

If you asked me this question 2 seasons ago I would have to say as hard as I can but over the last year I've become a bit of a gym rat and don't see there really to be a need to swing out of my shoes. I focus a lot on tempo now which has had great results.

I definitely don't swing as hard as I can but when I attempt to back off bad things usually happen.

I have been making a conscious effort lately to back off on my swing effort a little to regain the smoother tempo I had 5 years ago. I think I have started swing harder over the past few years to keep the distance I had 5 years ago. The results have been more missed shots than sweet spot contact. I have finally come to the realization that I just need to go with the aging process and not try to swing so hard that I am seldom making solid contact.

My driver SS is typically between 112 and 115. I don't feel like I'm swinging hard. I try to make a smooth swing.

I back it off a bit for accuracy....and distance. What I have found is that when I back it off a bit I'm much more likely to hit the middle of the clubface. Hitting the middle of the clubface is usually good for an extra 15 yards or so for me. If I put a number on it I'd say I try to swing at about 75%-80%. Swinging harder than that just tends to bring about poor results; over the top pulls and strikes out towards the toe are the most common for me.

According to golfinFF I swing like a girl.

I swing slow but way more controlled than I used to. But I need to start going after shots with the driver more.

Only cause I know you have it in you to hit it farther and still be in control and that comment was specifically about the way you hit driver. :)

A big ugly girl

I wasn't gonna go there with his looks

I swing free and smooth I'm done trying to step on it.

I swing slowly but pretty hard, I always leave a little in the tank though for when I need the few extra yds.

I try to feel 50% with driver and it progresses to about 70% with the wedges. I used to swing 120% every time.

I voted "Not hard at all" I feel my normal tempo and swing is probably in the 80% range.

I have a really smooth tempo and just don't go after it too aggressively. With that being said, I took a lesson on Tuesday if last week and truly felt my hips clearing and my right arm being used correctly again... The end result is I feel alit more power built up in my legs and I am thinking once I learn how to release it I will swing quite a bit harder

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I try to feel 50% with driver and it progresses to about 70% with the wedges. I used to swing 120% every time.

The 50% with your driver really surprises me but it obviously works!

I normally swing pretty hard, 90-95%. I wish I could learn to back it down to 70-75%

The reason I started this thread was because Jack Grout told Nicklaus to swing as hard as he could, and they would straighten him out later. Actually a lot of teachers and pros have made similar statements. I had never heard this before until I had a breakthrough recently, mainly from swinging about as hard as I could while maintaining balance. I don't think it is just about driving the ball further, either. For some reason swinging hard makes timing easier, and eliminates over thinking. At least for me.

Such an amazing game.

Here is my swing work in progress...be easy on me guys! This is pretty much full on. BTW, I rotated the image in YouTube, so hopefully this sorts itself out shortly.

Last edited:
BTW, I posted this video in Freddie's area to get his feedback. Not sure why it takes so long for youtube to process the edit/rotation?

Back