Who is CURRENTLY the BEST Player on Tour?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
While I know the rankings show us what it should be, but I want to go further. Who do you think is CURRENTLY the best player on Tour? Carrying over from 2013 to 2014 Season, who has it going in the right direction, who is falling off? WHO is the best player currently in the field week in and week out?

I am hesitantly going to say Dustin Johnson. Second would be Walker, but maybe a bit of fall off now.

Ill say walker, reed, mcilroy, bubba, gmac and some others are moving in the right direction. To me though Dustin Johnson seems to always be near the top in every tournament he is in so I vote him, then Day and Bubba for runner up right now.

DJ and Bubba? im not sure it seems like a toss up every week really

Based on last year and this...I'd say TW is the best but headed in the wrong direction. Any given week anyone could show and usually does. Collectively the field is strong but from an individual stsnd pint I still have to give TW the nod even though he is lost.

Jimmy Walker. Dude had a ridiculously strong 2013 and he's doing it right in 2014.

I would say someone who is trending up, and it may not be a popular pick, is Bubba Watson. A first at the Northern Trust, a Sweet 16 in the match play and a 2nd in the WGC ending today. He's had a pretty hot start to 2014.

I would say someone who is trending up, and it may not be a popular pick, is Bubba Watson. A first at the Northern Trust, a Sweet 16 in the match play and a 2nd in the WGC ending today. He's had a pretty hot start to 2014.

And a second at the waste management...

Tappin it up

DJ. Leading a lot of stats on tour, just needs to stop the blowup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm going to go with Bubba right now. Guy is in contention seemingly every time he plays and has 1 win already. I would say DJ is a very, very close second.

Trending in the right direction I would have to say Watson and Reed. Both have had a great start to 2014 and over the next several weeks moving into the first major of the year will be the true determinate.

Falling Off: Tiger Woods of course. Towards the end of 2013 things seemed to be coming together, however 2014 has been a different version of TW. He just can't seem to put together consistent rounds. Coming in at a close second would be Henrik.

I'm open to arguments forany of Walker, Watson, DJ, English, or Reed. Hard to pick one of those. One I'd be the least surprised to win The Masters would be Bubba. The one I'd be least surprised to win multiple majors this year would be DJ.

Dude is always just there hanging around it seems. Seems to always be near the top of the leaderboard.

Dustin Johnson has 5 top 10's in 6 events this season. So, week in, week out as the OP stated, hard to dispute that.

Tiger Woods, Jimmy Walker, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson in that order.

Hard to argue against DJ and Bubba.

I guess Stenson is still lurking. Can't wait to see what he does at Augusta. Did winning Fedex and Dubai make him "fat and happy"?

Mickelson has got to be playing worse than anyone ranked high in the OWGR. He has yet to card a Top 10, in 7 events.
Snedeker: 8 events, zero Top 10's
Westwood: 7 events, zero Top 10's

I'd say Bubba Watson is definitely playing pretty strong so far as well as Jason Day. Those would be my votes for best player on the tour so far this year.

I will go with DJ, currently second in the FedEx cup standings with only six starts and no wins. Very consistent but he needs to raise a trophy to cement that status.

I think looking at last year and this year it's gotta be DJ. His stats are impressive and he's always in contention it seems. Looking at just 2014 so far I'd have to say Bubba...guy is on fire!

Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Patrick Reed, and Jason Day are all guys whose presence at the top of the leaderboard this year will only be conspicuous by absence in 2014. I think any week it could shift between any of them. Yesterday Patrick Reed came out on top, but DJ could get hot with the putter and take over, or Jason Day or Bubba could really nail his driver and be a couple clubs ahead of the other guys. So it's tough to say, but I think these guys are the current frontrunners this year.

DJ has been really consistent. Bubba and Reed are trending well. As has been stated TW seems to be sliding.

I have to say DJ. He's put in a ton of work and it has shown. Consistently on the first page of the leaderboard week in and week out. He is getting the job done and will get his wins this year.

So the consensus appears to be DJ and/or Bubba? I'm not a stats guy (in that I don't know what they are), but where does Zach Johnson fit in the discussion?

If its strictly based on the current, it has to be either Walker or Reed with the slight edge to Reed because of the win in an event with the entire top 50. Picking guys with 1 win and some top 10s while others have 3 times that seems silly to me since we have not reached the majors yet.

And if you are going to go with the lots of solid finishes, why is Zach Johnson not on anybody's list but Bubba and DJ are?

Just my thoughts though.

Back