What's with the fat professional golfers?

Just going off his PGA Tour profile of 6' and 200lbs, he is overweight. I would bet that profile is dated a little as looking at pictures over the last couple years you can see him getting heavier. Reed may be average for the US, but according to the numbers listed used to calculate BMI, he is overweight. Does it matter? No it doesn't as he is obviously good at what he does. Could he stand to lose a few lbs, maybe hit the gym to get rid of the start of moobs, probably.

Man, if Reed's considered "fat", I must be morbidly obese, it's a wonder I can even swing a club! I would consider his body type to be "normal" for the majority of people, and people like me would be "fat"...

Besides, what does it matter? He can win, and his wife's smokin' hot...

Just going off his PGA Tour profile of 6' and 200lbs, he is overweight. I would bet that profile is dated a little as looking at pictures over the last couple years you can see him getting heavier. Reed may be average for the US, but according to the numbers listed used to calculate BMI, he is overweight. Does it matter? No it doesn't as he obviously good at what he does. Could he stand to lose a few lbs, maybe hit the gym to get rid of the start of moobs, probably.

BMI is pointless. Almost every football player (not even talking about lineman) is overweight according to BMI.

Crap...everybody look at the bottom of the last page. That was a good post.

Just going off his PGA Tour profile of 6' and 200lbs, he is overweight. I would bet that profile is dated a little as looking at pictures over the last couple years you can see him getting heavier. Reed may be average for the US, but according to the numbers listed used to calculate BMI, he is overweight. Does it matter? No it doesn't as he is obviously good at what he does. Could he stand to lose a few lbs, maybe hit the gym to get rid of the start of moobs, probably.

First of all, BMI is a terrible measure to calculate if someone is overweight. If we applied that logic every bodybuilder in the world would be overweight.. but seriously it really doesn't matter. The dude is an extremely talented golfer that has clearly worked his butt off to get where he is. Let him do this thing

BMI is pointless. Almost every football player (not even talking about lineman) is overweight according to BMI.

According to the BMI, I am obese. You are correct. BMI is useless.

Growing​​ up, never saw a fat pro golfer. Now there are at least half a dozen on tour. They even seemed to get paired up. Makes my golf is a sport argument a challenge. Tiger is still looking good, wish his back was too.
I understand what you getting at. The ratio of fat golfers has grown over the years. Tim Herron, Kevin stads, brendon, Patrick and a few others are making their presence known on tour. But with the hundreds of tour members it's Avery small percentage for sure. The golf swing doesn't know the size of the person swinging the club, especially at their level.

Growing​​ up, never saw a fat pro golfer. Now there are at least half a dozen on tour. They even seemed to get paired up. Makes my golf is a sport argument a challenge. Tiger is still looking good, wish his back was too.

So because someone is "fat" the sport they are playing shouldn't be considered a sport? So I guess football would be deemed just an activity to you? I mean there are fat offensive and defensive lineman in football, so it must not be a sport...

Ah well, to each their own I guess.

I thnk it just goes against the perception people have of "athletes." I am not gonna lie I get a little ticked off when I see Dufner and Reed and some other pudgy golfers because it gives of the perception these guys don't work hard or keep in shape. When you take a step back and realize that these guys are doing amazing things in their sport, it really shouldn't matter what they look like.

I thnk it just goes against the perception people have of "athletes." I am not gonna lie I get a little ticked off when I see Dufner and Reed and some other pudgy golfers because it gives of the perception these guys don't work hard or keep in shape. When you take a step back and realize that these guys are doing amazing things in their sport, it really shouldn't matter what they look like.

All the PGA Tour players are amazing. I could care less what they look like and I think it's attracts more fans to Golf if some of the players are a little overweight. Some of the most popular golfers, like John Daley, are more popular because they are obviously flawed. Americans are a forgiving bunch, IMO.

Last edited:
Think it's time to ban fat people. Get em outta here by 2016 ; )

Think it's time to ban fat people. Get em outta here by 2016 ; )

Fat people with long, anchored putters...well, they're just not people. And shold be treated as shuch. :eyepoke: (kidding of course)

With all the so called "heavyweights" winning lately id say they have a distinct advantage somehow. Ban time!! Yes I just lol'd

Tiger was not "blessed" with a body type, he worked hard to get the body he has today. Anyone can look like Tiger if they work at it hard and long enough.
I believe you mean to say: "Anyone can look like Tiger if they work at it hard and long enough, forsaking their regular job and all other family pursuits."

When I was on scholarship in college, I had two things to do. Go to class and practice. No other obligations, whatsoever. Then, when I got out of college and into graduate school the obligations started coming on strong. Once I got out of graduate school the obligations were like a deluge. Tiger does nothing but golf and golf-related activities all day, every day. It's not simply "Work hard at it and you'll have the same body." because the time needed for that commitment is pretty enormous.

If someone is truly bothered by the number of "fat" golfers then I would consider them a fitness snob with sour grapes.
These "fat" golfers are at a level in their professional sport that 99.9% of us couldn't even sniff regardless of what shape we were in.

Agreed dude.

But honestly, who the eff cares if he is fat. It doesn't make him any less of a golfer

True, but I think alot of in-shape, fitness related guys seem to have a problem with a pudgy guy killing it out there & winning on tour (Reed, Stadler). Us like bodied golfers love it, they think it gives the game a bad image. Different strokes ...

The talent it takes to be a pro is amazing and if you are carrying a few extra pounds who cares. As to how they don't lose weight when walking all the time, you have to also eat decent you can't hammer down a 2000 calorie dinner just because you walked 18 holes that day.

I remember when Carl Petterson lost a bunch of weight and then lost his swing, he had to eat all kinds of hamburgers to get his swing back.

I think they are keeping the tradition of the game. Seriously the big boys have been around since the first course was built. Who cares.

Not sure what your definition of "fat" is but I guess not everyone is blessed with a Tiger like body type

I agree. I'll also add that one of the largest guys I know (around 6' and 300lbs) is a scratch player. One of those guys that you would never guess can clean your wallet most days.

Some times it surprises me which threads get traction.

I don't honestly feel like there are any more or less now than before, seems to be about the same overall.

Watched golf from the 70's. Yes a great point is more coverage. I could be a little biased as I am in great shape, lift weights and run 10 miles a week....yet see young "fat" PGA pros play much better than I can.

So you never saw Craig Stadler play?

Back