** KBS Shafts Official Thread **

I have them in my Vokes and love them. Like them so much better than my old DG Spinners.

Sick! I'll have them in my 588 RTX wedges. Do you normally get the ball to back up when it hits?

Sick! I'll have them in my 588 RTX wedges. Do you normally get the ball to back up when it hits?

Oh yeah. Not as much as I did with Spinners in my Clevelands, but the HiRev/Voke combo has some serious spunk.

Not sure if I should post here or start a new thread - I'll try here first. Surfing the net last night and tried the KBS Fit System online. Based on my inputs it selected C-Taper Lite X-flex. This was really surprising to me. I wasn't borderline on any of the numbers or categories. I expected I would be fit for something in an S flex based on what I know about my swing speed, etc. When I was fit for shafts last spring I didn't hit the KBS shafts (I hit TT and PX). The guy fitting me said I was right in between the PX 5.5 and 6.0 and I could go with either. I ended up with 6.0 based soley on economics and I hit those fine.

Anyway - Do the CT Lites play soft to flex?

PS: Another odd thing, if I change my 6i distance it dropped me down to an R. (My actual 6i was not close to this.)

I wouldn't say the play soft to flex as much as they are lighter and offer more launch and spin than some other X flex shafts if that makes sense.

I wouldn't say the play soft to flex as much as they are lighter and offer more launch and spin than some other X flex shafts if that makes sense.

I think so. Thanks. All these different options and playing characteristics are still new to me. Because I was looking for a low launch and prefer a lighter shaft it must've ended up with a non-obvious choice.

Hawk,
Could you compare the CTL X flex to the C Taper in stiff for feel? or is it just two different animals all together?

Any chance the color Kbs Tour will be made available (lime green to be specific)? I would love those on my C Taper Lite shafts.

Hawk,
Could you compare the CTL X flex to the C Taper in stiff for feel? or is it just two different animals all together?

Two different beasts. Similar "feels" w the CT being more...stout....feeling through the swing than the CTL in my opinion. Plus, remember, one is lower launch and low spin, the other is higher launch and more mid spin.

Any chance the color Kbs Tour will be made available (lime green to be specific)? I would love those on my C Taper Lite shafts.

You mean the label? I asked last year and there were no plans for that as the Red label is whats so recognizable about them, a simple glance and you can tell when someone is using a KBS shaft. I'm with you though, lime labels would be badass!

Checked out my Tour V stiff today on a cpm machine and at 37.5" (7 iron) with the grip off it is at 324 CPM or about 7.2 flex just over X stiff on the fitters chart. Is this normal for the Tour V or do you think they were labeled incorrectly? They were installed by Callaway

You mean the label? I asked last year and there were no plans for that as the Red label is whats so recognizable about them, a simple glance and you can tell when someone is using a KBS shaft. I'm with you though, lime labels would be badass!

Yea, sorry...meant shaft label...those lime labels make my teeth sweat.

Does the KBS rep still check in here? I sent them an email from their website last week and never got any response at all, was hoping for an answer about the Tour V Stiff shafts reading so high. Just human error maybe, stiff labels put on X stiff shafts?
Have any THP'ers ever checked out another Tour V stiff shaft with a similar weight clubhead (apex), dropped off the clubs today to be sent back to Callaway for reshafting, just curious as to what a actual Tour V Stiff would flex out to by cpm.

Does the KBS rep still check in here? I sent them an email from their website last week and never got any response at all, was hoping for an answer about the Tour V Stiff shafts reading so high. Just human error maybe, stiff labels put on X stiff shafts?
Have any THP'ers ever checked out another Tour V stiff shaft with a similar weight clubhead (apex), dropped off the clubs today to be sent back to Callaway for reshafting, just curious as to what a actual Tour V Stiff would flex out to by cpm.

yes they do. Some traveling, but he will be back next week.

Sorry for this delayed response! Thank you for the question, Playdough. The CT LITE will be a higher launch and spin rate than the C-TAPER shaft. If you are looking for that, I think it will work. However, if you are looking for a lighter shaft with the same performance as the C-TAPER 120g, then I don't think we offer a shaft exactly like that. S200 are 129g, so you are already lighter in your C-TAPER shafts without moving into the CT LITE. We generally suggest the same shaft (or close to it) in wedges. I usually hear of people wanting heavier shafts in their wedges, so you can double soft step our stiffer (and heavier) shafts to make it work.

I think the CT-LITE will work well if you are ready for some more spin and height.

Thanks,
Conrad

hello KBS,

I currently have 120g C-Tapers in my irons. I'm going to be upgrading my wedges this spring and I'm starting to think about shaft ideas. I love the feel if C-Tapers and I desire that same feel in my wedges. Im looking at going 5* gaps through my wedges which will put me at a 53* and 58*. I pretty adept at using full and partial swings with my wedges, but I desire to have play a little lighter shaft in my wedges. After playing around with different shafts, S400, S200, Vokey Wedge flex, DG Tour Issue, I have found the S200 to be about perfect all around. I just don't like the feel compared to my C-Taper. I was thinking of using the CTaper Lite shaft in my wedges. I believe the 110g is stiff and that I think would be put it in a comparable weight class to the S200 and still keep that same CTaper feel. Also a little higher launch and spin than the CTaper as well which is nice in a wedge shaft. Wonder if the CTaper Lite could be/would be recommended as a wedge shaft? Thank you in advance.

Golftown should have all of our product! They order directly from our distributor. We will look into it.

Thanks!
Conrad

Hi Conrad,

About a month ago I tried to order a set of the C-Taper Lites from GolfTown online (I'm in Canada) and they responded to me by saying, "that product is no longer available from the manufacturer."

What gives???

SkiBum,

I think the TOUR-V S should be a good fit. It will freq out just a hair softer than the TOUR S, but it will be 10g lighter. Since that is what you are looking for, I think it is a great candidate! The CT-LITE may fit you well also, but the C-TAPER line tends to fit players with too much spin or quicker tempos more often. The TOUR90 S could be too light and whippy. Some players do not mind that, but it sounds like you would not prefer to have that whippy feel. Also, they may produce too much height and spin rate.

Thanks and I apologize for the late reply.
Conrad

Hey Conrad/other peeps who know lots about shafts,

Got a question for ya. I currently play KBS Tour Stiff shafts in my irons, which may be a shade on the heavy side for my swing but seem to work fairly well. I am considering picking up a more forgiving set of irons in the near future that have KBS Tour 90 Stiff shafts in them, and I was wondering, do you think these will be excessively light or whippy for my swing? I've swung the KBS Tour-V Stiff shafts in the Apex Pros lately, and they seemed excellent and added a little distance for me - they are slightly lighter, but the Tour 90's are significantly lighter. A little info on me, I swing 6 iron right around 80 mph +/- 2mph and driver at 95 - 100 mph. Also, here is my KBS Shaft Fit information and recommended shafts:

6i Distance: 165-174 yards

Speed: 91 - 100 mph

Trajectory: Mid Trajectory

Swing: Parallel to Ground

Tempo: Moderate Tempo

Weight: Light Weight or Medium Weight

Hybrid Flight: Mid Flight

Wedge Spin: No

Shafts recommended:

Iron: KBS Tour-V Stiff (if I pick Light Weight), KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (if I pick Medium Weight, but I know this is too much shaft for me)

Mizuno Blue,

Sorry to hear about the wrong setup! It appears that the TOUR S was not the right fit, and the TOUR R (or DGS300XP) is a better fit. I completely that hitting in-person is the best way to get fit!

Conrad

I had KBS Tour Regular shafts in my MP-52's and persevered for 12 months with them, Id bought them second-hand. I've recently changed them to DG-S300XP's and the difference is quite unbelievable. The KBS felt so dead by comparison, I was worried that going to S300 I would lower my trajectory and as such lose distance, so I opted for the XP and I'm now carrying the ball much further and my dispertion is so much tighter, especially from around 150 in. Trying to take in and learn about shafts is a nightmare and a minefield I found. I had my DNA done at a Mizuno dealership which advised KBS regular but I already had them in and was struggling at the time.

I think you just have to go to the trouble of changing some shafts and see how you get on, stats and computers are one thing, hitting a ball on the fairway and feeling the response is another.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Jman, how is this coming?

Good news is though you might be able to find a set of V's at a good price as pulls, ya know?

I'm officially going to tinker with a "different" setup, staying 90's in my 4/5, going CTL's in S in my 6-AW, and my 3 wedges will be Hi-Rev. Gives a bit of a progressive setup to it in weight (heavier into the wedges) and also flight. Its an experiment that is stuck in my head.

jim54,

Since you know the C-TAPER shaft fits well, I would suggest you try the CT-LITE. Players tend to fall into fitting best with TOUR or CT shaft designs. Your swing/tempo/attack angle may fit the CT best. If you want something lighter, and more spin, then I suggest the CT-LITE S. If you want to go with what you know works, then soft step the C-TAPER.

Thanks
Conrad

Went with the Tour V in S for my APEX irons and have been really struggling with them, I came from C Taper in S but soft stepped ( I think that is the correct direction to a 6.0 CPM) I loved those shafts but thought they were giving me a lot of stress on the joints. I do not feel that with the Tour V but the performance is way off for me. I tend to hit the Tour V mid high on the shorter irons but mid on the 7 up. Would the CTL be a better fit? the KBS website puts me in a CTL X or the Tour V S with a tempo change. Does the CTL play a bit softer than the Tour V in relation to flex?

Sorry for the confusion on our fit system. There are many combinations we can offer golfers, and nothing can replace the in-person fitting. We always recommend hitting in person with a KBS fitter. If you are fit into the PX 5.5 or 6.0, then our CT LITE X could fit very well. If you can only get the S flex, that would work well to. There is a 5 gram difference in the shafts and a slightly different taper rate.

Thanks!
Conrad

I think so. Thanks. All these different options and playing characteristics are still new to me. Because I was looking for a low launch and prefer a lighter shaft it must've ended up with a non-obvious choice.

Exactly Jman! Thanks for your help here!

Two different beasts. Similar "feels" w the CT being more...stout....feeling through the swing than the CTL in my opinion. Plus, remember, one is lower launch and low spin, the other is higher launch and more mid spin.

jim54,

Thanks for the question. Frequency measurements are very tough to get consistent from golf shop-golf shop. There are many variables in the process. The TOUR-V X is not at 7.2, but will come out a little softer than that. Please feel free to call 303-444-2226*2 if you have any more frequency questions.

Thanks
Conrad

Checked out my Tour V stiff today on a cpm machine and at 37.5" (7 iron) with the grip off it is at 324 CPM or about 7.2 flex just over X stiff on the fitters chart. Is this normal for the Tour V or do you think they were labeled incorrectly? They were installed by Callaway

I have loved KBS ever since I got my first set of Tours. I am now on to the C-Taper's and just so love them!

SkiBum,

I think the TOUR-V S should be a good fit. It will freq out just a hair softer than the TOUR S, but it will be 10g lighter. Since that is what you are looking for, I think it is a great candidate! The CT-LITE may fit you well also, but the C-TAPER line tends to fit players with too much spin or quicker tempos more often. The TOUR90 S could be too light and whippy. Some players do not mind that, but it sounds like you would not prefer to have that whippy feel. Also, they may produce too much height and spin rate.

Thanks and I apologize for the late reply.
Conrad

Thanks a bunch for the reply Conrad! I've always suspected that the Tour S was just a hair too stiff, so that makes perfect sense that if the Tour-V S is a hair softer than that, it should be almost the perfect shaft for me. You are correct that I definitely don't prefer the whippy feel, and I can confirm after hitting the Tour 90 that it jacked up my launch angle massively, to the point that I lost distance, whereas hitting the Tour-V in the Apex Pro I actually gained distance. I can tell you that my next set will definitely have Tour-V's, that's for sure!

Great to hear!

Thanks

Thanks a bunch for the reply Conrad! I've always suspected that the Tour S was just a hair too stiff, so that makes perfect sense that if the Tour-V S is a hair softer than that, it should be almost the perfect shaft for me. You are correct that I definitely don't prefer the whippy feel, and I can confirm after hitting the Tour 90 that it jacked up my launch angle massively, to the point that I lost distance, whereas hitting the Tour-V in the Apex Pro I actually gained distance. I can tell you that my next set will definitely have Tour-V's, that's for sure!

Currently playing Tour R+. If I was looking to keep the launch similar, but increase spin a little, what direction would I be looking?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back