The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda lame I haven't had am iron fitting in almost 3 years. Typically played 2* up and the the guy at golf galaxy talked me into standard last year and I've rolled that way. Need to find out what it really is by someone that knows what they are talking about, especially with the recent swing changes.

Don't you have a TMPL fitting coming up 441?

Got in an hour of putting practice today. Spent a good bit of time on lag putting. Working a new drill I read about where you just take one ball and putt do one long putt at a time. Different target each putt so its more like stepping up and taking a putt out on the course.

Spent a couple hours at my local golf shop since it dropped 30 degrees outside. Started out testing a couple golf balls on the launch monitor. Then I working on putting for a bit while a fitting was going on. Went back to the hitting bay once the LM was available again. I'm still focusing on my grip and take away, trying to figure out the most comfortable grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Spent some more time at the range tonight and it was a much better session than last time. I took my time and played my way around my favorite course in my head, that always seems to make me simmer down and focus instead of just beating balls.
This week I've seen my struggles with flipping the wrists rear it's ugly head again turning my iron and wedge shots into hooks. I think I had it worked out by the end but only the next time I hit balls can confirm that.

Spent 45 minutes pitching into my target net. Only foam balls but it's something. Was trying to explain to my son the different set ups and clubs I was using.

I had a good lesson/tweaking this morning before taking off for HHI. Swing looks good and feels good numbers were spot on.

We worked on putting alignment and how to read new greens for chips and putts. Something that should come in handy this weekend.

I feel good about where I am and what I want to accomplish on the course, as long as I stay in tempo I will succeed.

Stay loose and go have fun, gFF. You'll do great buddy.

Stay loose and go have fun, gFF. You'll do great buddy.

Thanks Hawk some range work outside and on grass will be a great break from indoors and nets.

Staying loose and understanding I will have the occasional bad shot are keys to my play and score. Also understanding what went wrong in my swing is so important to not get into a bad rhythm and continuing those bad swings

Wide to wide. New feeling to work on

Nope. Backswing to downswing

Don't you want to be narrow on the downswing? Wide to narrow to wide is what I was taught. Curious to read your thoughts Blu.

Don't you want to be narrow on the downswing? Wide to narrow to wide is what I was taught. Curious to read your thoughts Blu.

In theory yes. But right now, I'm getting narrow and the club is getting stuck behind me coming down. The wide to wide is an effort to keep the club in front so I don't have to save the swing by rapidly closing the face.

In theory yes. But right now, I'm getting narrow and the club is getting stuck behind me coming down. The wide to wide is an effort to keep the club in front so I don't have to save the swing by rapidly closing the face.

I hear ya bro. Been there many times. When I see the blocks I'll put an alignment stick in the grass at 45* angle just right of me. Club goes above it on the backswing and again on downswing. Go back to the stuck move and you'll hit the stick. That part sucks lol.

I hear ya bro. Been there many times. When I see the blocks I'll put an alignment stick in the grass at 45* angle just right of me. Club goes above it on the backswing and again on downswing. Go back to the stuck move and you'll hit the stick. That part sucks lol.

No blocks for me. Snap hooks.

No blocks for me. Snap hooks.

Yeah thats the other miss. I saw the hook more with the driver than the irons. Hope you get it fixed soon bro.

I snuck out to hit a bucket at lunch. The driver with the shortened shaft and extra loft continues to shine. Iron play is still just off. My dispersion is not bad but not as good as normal either, I'm hitting a draw instead of straight and I'm about a half to full club short of regular distances. Hmm.

I went in for my last lesson before heading to HHI and spent some time on the range. My instructor noticed that I have way too much tension in my arms and hands, so he had me try something that felt completely alien and goofy, but I immediately started striking the ball better.

He had me setup and then start my back swing but delay moving the club head, allowing my arms to move back off the ball just a little before the club head moved. When I had tension in my hands and arms, I wasn't able to do it so it made me relax a lot and felt almost like I was cracking a whip.

Then he grabbed the orange whip and had me take a few swings in the same manner. I immediately noticed that my transition was way too violent because it felt like the orange ball was going to come around and hit me in the left side of my head. I actually flinched the first time I swung it because of that.

I know what my next golf related purchase is going to be.

Bullit nice lesson, I had one this morning myself, look forward to meeting you in HHI.

The orange whip is awesome!

Had a lesson today after work and I really enjoyed it. My instructor brought his Ipad so he was able to tape me and show me my issues. The things he seen with my irons was when I go back that it is closed 90° back from not going back correctly. Also is on the down swing at 90° is that I am releasing to early. Also ofcourse a big issue he noticed is my head dropping by not rotating properly and me droping my left shoulder down. Then onto the driver, setting up my hands were a little far back, wasn't tilting my shoulders correctly at setup, and on the down swing I am bringing the driver in and hitting off the toe. As far as the head issue I think everyone knows that I have, and he gave me a simple drill to work on. Told me to (get in a athletic position and bend your elbow like your holding a bucket of water, then rotate your upper body to the right to put the bucket on a table without dropping the shoulder and spilling the water, then bring the water bucket back to the starting position) "just like video below". This was very similar to what my awesome Capt. Canadan told me the other day sept he referred to like throwing a medicine ball. So I have that work on and on the release he has me doing the backswing and at the top to take the club down with my arms to the 90° angle straight back without releasing yet. On the driver he had me hit some balls after making some changes and I was starting to the ball better. What he did was make sure my hands were inline with my left shoulder and ball, and after I grip with my left hand to bring my right hand underneath to grip and get the correct tilt of my body and shoulders. So tons of great tips and learned alot tonight from being videoed. Really look forward to using those drills. Thanks again to everyone for looking at my video the other day and sharing on what I need to work on!!!!

I went in for my last lesson before heading to HHI and spent some time on the range. My instructor noticed that I have way too much tension in my arms and hands, so he had me try something that felt completely alien and goofy, but I immediately started striking the ball better.

He had me setup and then start my back swing but delay moving the club head, allowing my arms to move back off the ball just a little before the club head moved. When I had tension in my hands and arms, I wasn't able to do it so it made me relax a lot and felt almost like I was cracking a whip.

Then he grabbed the orange whip and had me take a few swings in the same manner. I immediately noticed that my transition was way too violent because it felt like the orange ball was going to come around and hit me in the left side of my head. I actually flinched the first time I swung it because of that.

I know what my next golf related purchase is going to be.

I like it. Now we have some confidence going in to this weekend!

I hadn't practiced putting much in the last couple of weeks, so I did an hour of putting the last two days, taking a break from full swings.

All I did was a gate drill to focus on getting the ball started on my line. I changed the length of my backswing and follow through to simulate different length putts. I'm setting up well with the seemore, just have to really focus on the shoulder rock to get the ball on the line. Had more trouble with it last night, but was really getting into a zone with it today.

Hour of putting today on the putting green at the course. 30min lag putting practice and 30min working on 4 to 8 feet. The Rossie is feeling good. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up under the pressure of this weekend in HHI.

Taking a day off was a great idea. Came back tonight with some energy and motivation. Results were pretty good. Stretching, drills, full swings. Putted around indoors for a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back