TaylorMade SLDR Rescue Review Thread

Yep. The hybrid is pretty amazing.

I'm totally acknowledging that I was hitting into a LM sim and not seeing real life conditions. With that said, the first cold swing generated a "whoa, that was solid" response. Then I saw the flight and the numbers. Then I kept doing the same thing over and over again.

I really want to get this club outside to see what it can do. I was really impressed with it.

What's funny about what you wrote is when I posted in my first review the launch monitor results and how tight the dispersion was on it. I tend to pay more attention to the numbers than the actual ball flight on the screen (unless it's way off right or left) but it still caught my attention when I was done and I did think to myself, "that would be pretty cool if I was really hitting them that straight".

It wasn't lying.

Would like to thank the Testers for putting this one through its paces on the course and range. Some great info shared in here, and we appreciate the feedback you guys have shared.

Forum Testing for this one is complete, but feel free to continue sharing your thoughts and results with the SLDR Rescue.

Would like to thank the Testers for putting this one through its paces on the course and range. Some great info shared in here, and we appreciate the feedback you guys have shared.

Forum Testing for this one is complete, but feel free to continue sharing your thoughts and results with the SLDR Rescue.

First I want to thank THP and TaylorMade for allowing me to be part of this. What a great experience and I cant wait to do it again.

I will also follow up with do yourself a favor if you are looking at a rescue hit this. It just a monster of a club. I flat murder this thing. I went head to head with the Xhot2 today and this bad boy won. Such a great club a complete homerun by TM.

Thanks THP and Taylor Made Golf for the opportunity to put this hybrid through my tests. I loved every minute of this club and plan for it to be in my bag for a long time, regular shaft and all. Who would have thought.

Thanks again!

Think this experience will alter how you approach your future hybrid shopping Natedogg?

Thanks THP and Taylor Made Golf for the opportunity to put this hybrid through my tests. I loved every minute of this club and plan for it to be in my bag for a long time, regular shaft and all. Who would have thought.

Thanks again!

hope its still there in 3 weeks when I come to town! Regular flex huh, just shows you how important it is to try things.

Think this experience will alter how you approach your future hybrid shopping Natedogg?

hope its still there in 3 weeks when I come to town! Regular flex huh, just shows you how important it is to try things.

Boy, it sure will Hawk. I am not ruling out anything anymore. Makes you wonder.

It will be there Dean. Quick OT: I've just got my fingers crossed for you and the weather. Gonna be 75 here tomorrow and then a chance of snow by the end of next week.

You will hit this!

I've never been much of a Taylormade fan, but this hybrid seems to be pretty special. I have been looking for a 21* hybrid to replace my 3 iron. Since it's still snowing here in the West, I've been hitting off of launch monitors indoors. I've tested pretty much every hybrid out there right now. The two I narrowed it down to was the X2 Hot Pro, and the SLDR. I loved the feel of both. And I actually hit the X2 Hot better on mis-hits, but preferred the heavier shaft and the looks of the SLDR. Plus the adjustability of the SLDR is a bonus! The grey crown and silver face makes it easy to line up, and when you hit it on the screws it feels amazing! A little punishing if you catch one on the heel, but still stays straight. I'm a halfway decent ball striker so as long as I have a smooth, yet aggressive swing, this thing just goes! It's gonna fit the gap nicely between my 18* 5 wood and my 4 iron. I hated the RBZ hybrid, Stage 2, and Rescue 11, but this one looks/feels/out performs all of the predecessors in between. Taylormade has a winner here!

Looking forward to hitting one today. I have a 3 wood coming in courtesy if Jman so we'll see how they pan out.

Looking forward to hitting one today. I have a 3 wood coming in courtesy if Jman so we'll see how they pan out.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I really think the SLDR hybrid is the best of TaylorMade's line (so far).

Might be interested in trying this one out. A 2h turned down an extra degree might just be the ticket for my 3 wood woes. Not quite as long as a 3 wood. But would still definitely fill a large gap at the top of my bag.

Just have to drive down to Syracuse to check one out on a monitor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've been demoing this quite a bit and am seeing drastically better results when the setting is at its lowest loft option. I've seen that with other hybrids as well, but I'm wondering if anyone who has one of these has encountered the same thing, or if they find any other effect with the lowest loft setting. I've been demoing the 19*, but would be interested in any input on this for any of the clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was at Golftec practicing and my coach brought in the newest version of this thing. It was a 3-19 degree....and it was unbelievable. I was between 240-250 with every swing. After about 10 hits, I put it down b/c it was getting me too excited and way out of my practice routine. I compared it with my old 4 -hybrid which I was only hitting about 195-205. The difference and feel was uneblievable....I may be looking for one of these come mid summer. Hopefully my swing is in order at that time.

I picked one up today. I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I demoed the 3 hybrid a few times and really liked it. I passed on it though because it was too long, it went nearly as my 3w and didn't help my gaps.

I demoed the 3 hybrid a few times and really liked it. I passed on it though because it was too long, it went nearly as my 3w and didn't help my gaps.

To me, that's an awesome problem to have. I really hope that's what happens for me.

To me, that's an awesome problem to have. I really hope that's what happens for me.

Yeah it is. I tried it out several times before deciding and I really liked it a lot. I thought it would be an excellent choice off the tee, but I worried about approaches with the low spin. I ended up going in another direction mainly because it filled the gap between my 3w and 4i better. I am definitely going to spend some time with both the SLDR 2h and 3w to replace my current 3w.

First round with this beast. I played it twice. Both times went pretty well. I think I'm going to get a long wonderfully with this club

First round with this beast. I played it twice. Both times went pretty well. I think I'm going to get a long wonderfully with this club
they are for sure one of the longer Hybrids i tried just liked the adams feel better

they are for sure one of the longer Hybrids i tried just liked the adams feel better

My brief time with it, I get more of an iron type feel. I would agree, not a typical hybrid feel. At least after today.

I've been gaming the 2h for 2 weeks now. It has allowed me to retire my 5 wood and 3 iron, so I can put my 60* wedge back in the bag. Perfect club for my second shot on long par 5s to set up the approach shot, and it cuts through the rough nicely. It so easy to hit at 17*.

Love mine soooo much, totally killing it.

Played my first round with the SLDR 2H. I have it set to 15.5* (lowest setting), to replace my 3 wood. Took it out twice and hit 2 solid shots. First one was on a par 5 from the rough, caught a little grass behind the ball but it still got up with a nice trajectory and got me to a nice 9 iron for my 3rd. The second time I hit this was off the tee on a short par 4 and I hit a perfect shot down the the right side of the fairway. I was a little unsure about playing it at 15.5* but for at least today I had no issues with getting the ball up from the tee or off the deck. Really like this hybrid a lot and can definitely see myself hitting it more off the tee.

Just dialed the 2h down to 16* and it's still easy to launch out of the rough and fairway bunkers. The ball really jumps off the face. The look at address is stunning. Excellent distance and direction. I've hit it about 20 times and there isn't a mark on it. Don't miss my 5 wood at all.

Last edited:
Despite what I read in terms of it being less forgiving (by expert evaluators) versus other hybrids, I recently purchased the 3 hybrid (regular flex) by Taylormade. To my surprise, the clubs is performing 15 yards better than the club I replaced (Kasco, 3 Hybrid, 20*) on the driving range. And like many of you, I was also concerned with the stout and heaviness of the club. I don't consider myself a power hitter, but felt extremely comfortable with the weight and stiffness of the club, even though it was a R-flex shaft. One of my reasons for purchasing the club, was its styling and appearance at address versus the New Adams Hybrid and Callaway's X2 Hot Hybrids, which I understand are a bit more forgiving. Don't get me wrong, I also own an Adams Tight Lies 3 Wood, and it does wonders for me 210-215 yards out. For now, I am extremely happy with my purchase, and today (05.25.14) I purchased the 4 hybrid from Taylormade. In the end, don't believe what the experts say until you go out and give it a try.

Back