Matchplay - How would you want to win?

DevRickus

The Dirty Jerz
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Leaving out the canned "A win is a win" responses, it was something I was thinking about this morning. If you were playing in a matchplay event would you rather A) Win in a route while your opponent struggles or B) Win a close match where you had to make alot of clutch shots?

Me personally, I think I would rather win a close match. Seems like an experience I could take with me and draw upon in the future.

I'd rather win a match where I am playing well as opposed to my opponent struggling. It's more like my winning than my opponent losing.

I dont like all the pressure of a close match and if I win in a route it means hopefully I playing really well. So I choose a route. I dont care how the other person is playing really. If its a freind maybe but we usually have some heated riverlries so beating the pants off of them is sought after.

It wouldn't matter. Either way would be acceptable. As long as I play well and wasn't "given" the match , I can be happy no matter how my opponent plays.

It wouldn't matter. Either way would be acceptable. As long as I play well and wasn't "given" the match , I can be happy no matter how my opponent plays.

You must have missed the part where it said no "a win is a win" answers Gregorio.

I'd rather win in a route, a win is a win, but I don't want to sweat it out during a match, I'd rather breeze through.

I have been in both situations and honestly the matches I remember are the ones that were close. I had to play my butt off sometimes and that made things a lot more fun for me even in losses.

You must have missed the part where it said no "a win is a win" answers Gregorio.

I didn't miss that part. What I said was that I just want to play to win. As long as I play well and win why would I care if it was a close match or by a landslide?

It's not the "a wins, a win" mentality because that would mean that you played poorly but your opponent played worse. I would rather win the match playing my best golf. If that falls under the "a wins a win" than I lose.

id rather a route where i play really well and my opponent plays well! I have found its not as fun to play when you're playing with someone who is struggling i think sometimes it can bring my game down and its sometimes harder to stay focused on my own game.

When given the choice, dominate someone.

The sooner it's over, the better. Things change fast in match play, so finish it as early as you can imo.

I didn't miss that part. What I said was that I just want to play to win. As long as I play well and win why would I care if it was a close match or by a landslide?

It's not the "a wins, a win" mentality because that would mean that you played poorly but your opponent played worse. I would rather win the match playing my best golf. If that falls under the "a wins a win" than I lose.

Yeah you are being wishy washy. Just pick one Gregorio.

id rather a route where i play really well and my opponent plays well! I have found its not as fun to play when you're playing with someone who is struggling i think sometimes it can bring my game down and its sometimes harder to stay focused on my own game.

Thats not true. We had fun when I played like dog crap at Heron Glen. haha

I want to be the reason they are playing bad golf, because I am kicking the crap out of them. Give me the rout.

I like winning, but I hate watching people struggle. If it's a beat down, I hope it's because I have played well beyond my typical means, and if it's close, I hope it's because we're both playing lights out.

Long story short, I'd take the tight match as long as my opponent wasn't taking it overly seriously. Ultra competitive people bore me. Smile and enjoy it.

I like winning, but I hate watching people struggle. If it's a beat down, I hope it's because I have played well beyond my typical means, and if it's close, I hope it's because we're both playing lights out.

Long story short, I'd take the tight match as long as my opponent wasn't taking it overly seriously. Ultra competitive people bore me. Smile and enjoy it.

I remember an upset Canadian in Myrtle as Deano and I drained a 60 foot chutt. Haha good times bro.

A match where I play my best and runaway with the match and close it out as early as possible.

This thread reminds me of in team sports when some fans says "I wish X Opponent was fully healthy when we beat them so they have no excuses"

BS. Give me a runaway win regardless of the reasons.

Taking the match to 18th would be awesome, but I would do my best to end on the 10th. But...yeah, a close match could feel a bit more rewarding.

I remember an upset Canadian in Myrtle as Deano and I drained a 60 foot chutt. Haha good times bro.

That loss was completely on me and Dans pants!

Back