UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

If I really enjoy these tomorrow I'm in trouble. I'll be selling everything to make the purchase happen.

If I really enjoy these tomorrow I'm in trouble. I'll be selling everything to make the purchase happen.

I hope it's the perfect fit!!!

I presume you'll be considering a graphite option as an MC possibility this year?

I hope it's the perfect fit!!!

I presume you'll be considering a graphite option as an MC possibility this year?

Absolutely. All depends on what's available buddy.

I'm gonna put these into play tomorrow (110 F4's) in some AP1's. Excited!
Sweet! Will be interesting to see how they work for you dude.

I was able to pick up a cheap speedblade 6i, and went ahead and got a 680 F4, going to be able to do a direct comparison with my steel shaft 6i, and see what we see

Is the 680 F4 considered regular or stiff flex?

Is the 680 F4 considered regular or stiff flex?

The F4 suits the swing speed of a stiff. I believe the process is F3(reg), F4(stiff), F5(XS)

FlexDriver Swing Speed (mph)Driver Carry (yards)
F490 - 105225 - 260
F5> 105> 260

Sorry to contribute to your club hoing!

I feel like UST has done an incredible job of producing a recoil that suits most swings. I'm only one range session in, and I don't have anything other than 'by eye' feedback to offer, but I found the 125 F4 protos to be very very optimal. Good flight, great feedback in the hands and on quality strikes, and really only the 4 iron shaft every once in a while giving me even the slightest bit of shuddering.

Cannot wait to get some real numbers on these including distances. Open mind remains.

Had these (F4 110's) in play today in some AP1's. Overall, I liked what I saw. I'm not a feel guy (no secret) so I can't offer anything there.

I can say that I hit these toweringly high BUT I didn't seem to lose any distance. They did seem to just drop out of the sky and stop so unsure that they are an ideal fit for me when I think about how my fitter wanted to see a lower launch so that there is still some distance being gained after the apex.

Think I would really like to try these in a lighter offering...no idea what to expect flight wise but I would be seeking something not so high.

Funny thing is I say I think I need something lower but every single solid iron shot today went the distance it was supposed to....even into winds.

Playing the recoils have been a breath of fresh air. It's astounding to get similar feedback of a lower launching steel shaft yet retain the benefits of graphite. While most of my play with them has been off mats, I'll be looking forward to documenting my on course results within the next month or so. Trackman credited me with 6 iron swing speeds of 91-93mph (with variances on both sides) but I don't personally feel like the F4's are flexing too much in my swing or cause me any issues in terms of accuracy.

Also absolutely hilarious is the look on friends faces when I tell them I'm gaming graphite iron shafts, and even more entertaining when I make them hit them for themselves. Breaking myths.

Canadan,
As you know I have been a big proponent of graphite for several years now. I truly believe we will see more and more golfers get involved after education takes place. It will take time, because there are so many incorrect "myths" out there, but its getting there.

Canadan,
As you know I have been a big proponent of graphite for several years now. I truly believe we will see more and more golfers get involved after education takes place. It will take time, because there are so many incorrect "myths" out there, but its getting there.

Your attitude towards graphite is a big reason why I have taken this opportunity to try them out. As many of the graphite shafts I had previously played came in at a much lighter weight, the transition was a bit too great for me to properly assess the quality.

With the recoils I'm gaming at 125g, it's basically a perfect weight comparison, making me feel like I'm just hitting another steel offering. Much the same is said by my friends regardless of whether I tell them it's graphite before they hit it or after. I even let a friend swing them who is probably right around the 100mph range with a 6 iron (possibly higher), and he was flat out astonished.

it's going to be a fun year.

I wonder how a Recoil in a 2i would feel?

Recoily?

I'll stick with my hybrid. My days of 2 ironing are done.

I was gifted a S3 Pro CB 2i today. Which seems silly.

Canadan I would love to swing those shafts some time and get some #'s as well.

Your attitude towards graphite is a big reason why I have taken this opportunity to try them out. As many of the graphite shafts I had previously played came in at a much lighter weight, the transition was a bit too great for me to properly assess the quality.

With the recoils I'm gaming at 125g, it's basically a perfect weight comparison, making me feel like I'm just hitting another steel offering. Much the same is said by my friends regardless of whether I tell them it's graphite before they hit it or after. I even let a friend swing them who is probably right around the 100mph range with a 6 iron (possibly higher), and he was flat out astonished.

it's going to be a fun year.

In Indy we can compare your f4 prototypes against my f5 125s. Might be very interesting

In Indy we can compare your f4 prototypes against my f5 125s. Might be very interesting

I'll be glad to do that buddy. The 125 protos are a ton of fun for me to hit. Hoping to draw some comparison to the s300's soon just out of pure curiosity.

I picked up a 712 AP2 head with a 110g f5 in it today for a testing purposes.

Wind was brutal today so distance was hard to tell as well as the end of ball flight. But initial flight was strong and feel is good with zero harshness.

I have tried to search the thread but could not find any post that compared the recoils to a KBS C Taper has anyone went from one to the other? I like what I have read about the reduction in stress related pain with the recoils. I would expect the ball flight to be higher, but is the feel completely different? I am considering ordering a new set of APEX pros and the recoils have me very interested after reading though most of this thread.

I have tried to search the thread but could not find any post that compared the recoils to a KBS C Taper has anyone went from one to the other? I like what I have read about the reduction in stress related pain with the recoils. I would expect the ball flight to be higher, but is the feel completely different? I am considering ordering a new set of APEX pros and the recoils have me very interested after reading though most of this thread.

I have not gamed c tapers but have hit them in various heads at demos. I game the kbs tour ATM and I consider the c taper to be more harsh than the tours. I have gamed the recoil 125s and they play remarkably similar to the kbs tours. Slightly higher launch with bit less spin. Feel is subjective but for me the recoils feel like kbs tours with much less vibrations at impact. More quieter feel but they do in fact play very similar to steel. having gamed kbs tour at 130g, tour-v at 120g, and recoils at 125g, launch and distance were close. From low to high, tour-v, tour, recoil. Spin low to high tour-v, tour, recoil. Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot.

I've hit the range a few times and played like 32 holes and I'm really liking these. I have the 660 F3's and I'm just really happy with the launch and feel they have. I've played graphite shaft irons for about 7 years now and the recoils are easily the best feeling I've ever hit. No harshness and the feel is very sturdy at the same time. Launch for me is great as well. Need more time with these once the weather improves and my swing gets more consistent.

I miss these in my irons. I had the prototypes 125's in my x forged irons at the end of last season. I went back to x-100's for some odd reason. Missing the feel of these. I hit the X-100's well but on days I am not feeling myself the recoils were much better.

Back