How do you react?

gatoreric

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
I manage a retail store and always have my putter and a cup set up behind the counter for practice. Most customers make remarks, typically positive. Just had a guy who asked for help, then looked and saw the putter and mumbled "boring" then kept on with his requests. I ignored because it's not worth the debate to lose a sale. Just wanted to know what you respond with when some non-golfer makes those type remarks. In this setting, of course, I just let it roll of my back. I am sure you guys have some great responses or stories to the poor unfortunate souls who don't love golf like my fellow THP'ers do.

I'm confused, what did he refer to has boring?

Plenty of people have given me crap in the past about golf being for "nerds", "losers", "fat guys", "old guys",... you name it. Usually just let it roll off. Some people just aren't worth my time.

I manage a retail store and always have my putter and a cup set up behind the counter for practice. Most customers make remarks, typically positive. Just had a guy who asked for help, then looked and saw the putter and mumbled "boring" then kept on with his requests. I ignored because it's not worth the debate to lose a sale. Just wanted to know what you respond with when some non-golfer makes those type remarks. In this setting, of course, I just let it roll of my back. I am sure you guys have some great responses or stories to the poor unfortunate souls who don't love golf like my fellow THP'ers do.

Not everybody is going to love the sport. If you walked into a store and the person was wearing a shirt that said "Knitting is the greatest activity in the world" would you try and convince them otherwise?

So was he calling your putter boring or just the game of Golf Boring??? Yeah recently I was talking to my grandmas bf and he was talking to me all about golf and really enjoyed it. Then my grandma said on sunday she got stuck watching it and it was boring. I just said yeah it might be boring to watch for you, but for me I watch more into it like stats, how they hit the ball and much more. Also told her if she got out on the course she would defianlty enjoy it. But other people I just blow it off especially when they say the golf couse is a waste of land.

I'm confused, what did he refer to has boring?

Well I had my putter and my PW he looked over my shoulder directly at my clubs and mumbled "boring" in that tone that only a hater could say. Not a huge deal, just made me wonder how you react to someone who just hates the game for some unknown reason.

Unless it was a Scotty, maybe he was referring to your actual putter? :act-up:

Not everybody is going to love the sport. If you walked into a store and the person was wearing a shirt that said "Knitting is the greatest activity in the world" would you try and convince them otherwise?

heck yes, because we all know "Naked Knitting is the greatest activity in the world"

In all seriousness, the game of golf has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years, but it's still not for everyone.

I agree with that. Like I said not a big deal, most convos are good. But I also wouldn't mumble under my breathe that knitting was boring. It was just a snarky remark is all. Not trying to convince people to play or how great it is.

And now that I think of it. I would ask the knitting person if they could knit me a headcover or something. Best of both worlds.

If somebody is snarky about golf I just say, "thank you it makes it easier for me to get a tee time."

Some of my old hockey buddies give me grief since I stopped playing and started golfing more.

I get a lot of grief for the way I dress from people on and off the course. I'm a Rickie wannabe, I just laugh and let it go. No reason to bother making something bigger than it has to be. I enjoy dressing the way I do, it's fun and that's all that matters to me.

Well I had my putter and my PW he looked over my shoulder directly at my clubs and mumbled "boring" in that tone that only a hater could say. Not a huge deal, just made me wonder how you react to someone who just hates the game for some unknown reason.

Is the retail store a golf shop?

I get a lot of grief for the way I dress from people on and off the course. I'm a Rickie wannabe, I just laugh and let it go. No reason to bother making something bigger than it has to be. I enjoy dressing the way I do, it's fun and that's all that matters to me.

Rickie Wannabe? I thought you wanted to win...

I pay him no mind. Your at the store to work not convince people to like golf.

The grin I'd have on my face after someone talked to me and my putting efforts would be awkward. That stuff is just laughable. Maybe he jumped on twitter and tagged your efforts under #LameSports. Then again, maybe he's a very, very bad putter.

You wear Ricky style puma off the course in everyday life?

Rickie Wannabe? I thought you wanted to win...

Touché! Although in my post I did only mention dressing!

Yes. Yes, I would.

There is nothing fun about knitting. Zero. It's unnatural and needs to be stopped.

You wear Ricky style puma off the course in everyday life?

No no no lol I just mean if I happened to go out to eat, or grab some groceries, or anything like that right after a round I won't change. I'll go to dinner or the store rocking white pants and a bright pink or purple shirt I got no shame!

I recently had a birthday and my wife asked our Granddaughter what she thought I wanted for my birthday.
She responded with "a golf club or golf balls".
My wife said, "but he's already got so many of those."
My Granddaughter said, "Yes I know, but that's what Grandpa would want".

So there are golfers and there are non-golfers. And there are non-golfers who get how golfers think. I think you appreciate the first and last in that group, and just realize the middle one doesn't understand you/golf, and that's okay, they might have some decent qualities anyway.

No no no lol I just mean if I happened to go out to eat, or grab some groceries, or anything like that right after a round I won't change. I'll go to dinner or the store rocking white pants and a bright pink or purple shirt I got no shame!
That's the puma way.

I killed a guy once for that. Murderer's row baby! I'm kidding! :act-up:.........

Back