Rickie Fowler vs Anthony Kim - A Unique Parallel

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
AK turned professional at 21 years of age.
Rickie Fowler turned professional at 21 years of age.

Took both players a couple of years to pick up their first win on tour.
AK winning the Wachovia and Fowler winning the Wells Fargo...Same tournament.

Both players had early success in match play events. Both players were media darlings and hyped by their sponsors to the moon. Neither player has lived up to that early hype as of yet in many eyes.

Now I am certainly not predicting the same thing to Rickie Fowler as what has happened to Anthony Kim between injuries, etc, but the parallel has not been discussed before and I find it rather interesting.

Similar paths as well. It will be interesting to follow Fowler along and see if he ever snags another W and/or continues to be media darling despite doing very little on the course.

Took AK a couple of years to get it going, but his 08 season was really good. Fowler hasn't had a season close to that good. I thought he was also better at the RC than Mr. Fowler was. I wish he could get back to that form.

I hope Rickie can get his game going and get a few more wins under his belt. I think he could be a great "ambassador" to the game for the younger generation. Kids love him.

Of all the golf parallels you could have come up with, I think this one is kind of out there. I don't really see much in the way similarities. Unless Ricky ends up with injuries similar to AK.

I think it is out of sight out of mind. AK is NOWHERE to be found. Sponsorship or otherwise. Rickie might not be winning, but he is competing week in and week out. You see his name at least.

• Admin
Of all the golf parallels you could have come up with, I think this one is kind of out there. I don't really see much in the way similarities. Unless Ricky ends up with injuries similar to AK.

What is not there. Both high level expected pros. Both started out slow and both won at the exact same event for their first win. Both hit a high and then both have started to fall. Obviously Fowler not as far as AK.

• Admin
I think it is out of sight out of mind. AK is NOWHERE to be found. Sponsorship or otherwise. Rickie might not be winning, but he is competing week in and week out. You see his name at least.

AK has been hurt for a period of time which is why people do not see him.

I think RF disappears into oblivion in a handful of years (life the president of his fan club that used to be on here) when more and more young guys like Spieth and Reed make it count on the course.

Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, also... I've never really thought of the similarities, but they are interesting, for sure.

Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, also... I've never really thought of the similarities, but they are interesting, for sure.

I forgot to type that one despite being on a card directly in front of me. Good call.

What is not there. Both high level expected pros. Both started out slow and both won at the exact same event for their first win. Both hit a high and then both have started to fall. Obviously Fowler not as far as AK.

I don't really think that the expectations for Fowler were really all that high to begin with. Sure he has Puma providing him with gear that makes him stand out from he average golfer, and the media will jump all over that, but I felt that AK showed more promise that Rickey did at the same age. AK seemed to be there more on Sunday than Fowler ever has.

I view AK as a career squandered due to being young with a tone of cash. He has three wins and was a threat when he teed it up.

RF was giving this mystic by the media to draw in fans. He has never been a world better just extremely popular. I don't think their is any contest. If AK was still playing serious golf, we would be Ina different league.

I like RF, especially after last year in CA. But I don't think he has even some close to his potential. I hope he does but right now he has not lived up to everyone else's hype. He may never live up to it and just be a popular second tier player

edit: aka had three wins on tour and one over seas

I don't really think that the expectations for Fowler were really all that high to begin with. Sure he has Puma providing him with gear that makes him stand out from he average golfer, and the media will jump all over that, but I felt that AK showed more promise that Rickey did at the same age. AK seemed to be there more on Sunday than Fowler ever has.

I thought there were higher expectations on Fowler before he accomplished anything. The expectations put on Kim were more earned after a real strong season that was capped off by a good run at the RC. At least that's how I saw it.

Really? Man, his turning pro was huge news due to his Walker Cup record and Titleist signing. Heck he turned pro immediately after going undefeated in the Walker Cup.

I'm a huge Rickie fan and I'm not trying to say the guy doesn't work hard because I'm sure that he does, but I think his mind is else where and I'm pretty sure he's made it clear he has a life outside of golf. I think he's comfortable living the way he does with paychecks that don't necessarily come from winning tournaments. I think he likes being the star or hype even if he's not necessarily producing he numbers he should be to be hyped the way he is.

Interesting comparisons. I hope for the best for RF, he's a great golfer and is fantastic for the game in general.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don't think Anthony will get the money needed to stay on tour after he returns. Fowler has the game to be top 100 for twenty years.

I think Fowler will be similar to Justin Rose who came on very late.

I'm a huge Rickie fan and I'm not trying to say the guy doesn't work hard because I'm sure that he does, but I think his mind is else where and I'm pretty sure he's made it clear he has a life outside of golf. I think he's comfortable living the way he does with paychecks that don't necessarily come from winning tournaments. I think he likes being the star or hype even if he's not necessarily producing he numbers he should be to be hyped the way he is.

Another parallel as the same was said about AK. Whether or not true is not what I am saying.

Don't let Jman catch you saying OU and OSU are similar...

AK has been hurt for a period of time which is why people do not see him.
what is his injury, seems like he has been out for years?

I've always felt golf was secondary to Ricky. He seems to enjoy life and his other hobbies and golf is just a means to the end.

what is his injury, seems like he has been out for years?

Multiple. Wrist, Elbow, Achilles. He had surgery 2 years ago on foot (achilles) and then last year was not able to play. When he returns he has major medical exemption coming to him.

Rickie Fowler vs Anthony Kim - A Unique Parallel

I've always felt golf was secondary to Ricky. He seems to enjoy life and his other hobbies and golf is just a means to the end.

Of Ricky came out and said that, I would respect the hell out of it.

Edit: it's Rickie dummy

Back