Marketing - What do you like / dislike?

Really??? Is that facts from titleist selling a billion golf balls and sit on the shelfs or at the country club, or is that numbers golfers bought at the register. I would like more amateurs would buy Bridgestone.
Not even close. Titleist is not only at the top, its at the top by a HUGE amount. In fact the top two balls sold in the entire US in both green grass (pro shops) and retail are the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. The 3rd highest selling ball is the Bridgestone e6 followed by the NXT Tour and B330RX and then followed by Titleist Velocity. This was for the entire year of 2013.

And the 3rd highest selling ball is no where near the top 2.

I just dont like any type of marketing, golf or not, where you mention another companies product. Just seems weird to me.

Makes sense. Trying to use a negative for a positive.

Really??? Is that facts from titleist would could sell dicks a billion golf balls and sit of the shelfs or at the country club or is that numbers golfers bought at the register. I would like more amateurs would buy Bridgestone.

I dont deal in marketing, only facts. I can assure you that what I posted was correct and in the post it says combined sales.
I can also assure you that while Bridgestone is 2nd in golf ball sales total, nobody is even close to what Titleist sells.

I dont deal in marketing, only facts. I can assure you that what I posted was correct.
I can also assure you that while Bridgestone is 2nd in golf ball sales total, nobody is even close to what Titleist sells.

Along this line, do you think that there is some fear from Titleist with the success Bridgestone is having? Their latest campaign seems to allude to that.....

i.e. "your ball doesn't know if you are a tour player"....

hmm not going to argue with you about that JB. I know you have a lot more resources than I do. My thoughts are there balls are more expensive and just what I always see people around my area it's always the 18 pack for $20. For me personally Srixon is #1 ;)
I dont deal in marketing, only facts. I can assure you that what I posted was correct.

I would agree i am sure that is why Callaway and TM have been working so hard on there balls to try to take some of the pie from Titleist

I know some do but if you took the number of sales of what balls are bought by amateurs I bet titleist is not at the top. This coming from my based thoughts and what I see in central Illinois.

Working in a golf shop. 8 out of every 10 dozen sold is prov1 or prov1x.

I remember thinking to myself Holy cow why is this 60 year old woman buying these.... everyone buys them

The marketing doesn't bother me. The new releases don't bother me. What does bother me is when I buy one club and it measures this length, and then the next release is supposed to be x yards longer. What did they possibly find that made that jump happen?

I think their MSRP is that price, but being sold at $47

Yeah, they are $47.99 I believe at PGA SS. I meant to type 47 and my sausage fingers hit the 5 instead.

That's not the answer I want to hear coming from you near me LOL. "OK GUESS I AM WRONG EVERYONE THE FACTS DONT LIE!!!!
Working in a golf shop. 8 out of every 10 dozen sold is prov1 or prov1x.

I remember thinking to myself Holy cow why is this 60 year old woman buying these.... everyone buys them

Not even close. Titleist is not only at the top, its at the top by a HUGE amount. In fact the top two balls sold in the entire US in both green grass (pro shops) and retail are the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. The 3rd highest selling ball is the Bridgestone e6 followed by the NXT Tour and B330RX and then followed by Titleist Velocity. This was for the entire year of 2013.

And the 3rd highest selling ball is no where near the top 2.

This is consistent with what I see in the woods when I follow one of my balls in there. Our course sells titleist balls in the pro shop, so tons of Pro V1/V1X and Velocity.

That's not the answer I want to hear coming from you near me LOL. "OK GUESS I AM WRONG EVERYONE THE FACTS DONT LIE!!!!

I wouldn't have thunk it either until I saw it first hand

Along this line, do you think that there is some fear from Titleist with the success Bridgestone is having? Their latest campaign seems to allude to that.....

i.e. "your ball doesn't know if you are a tour player"....

Their marketshare has decreased quite a bit over the last decade as Bridgestone has come in and started ball fitting (but they still dominate and its not close). They lost their lawsuit against Bridgestone when they sued to stop them from using the term #1 Ball Fitter (generalizing). If you go back through the golf ball history the last few decades, there are a whole lot of discoveries that Bridgestone has made including seamless.

Last year both Callaway and TaylorMade dropped as well.

I don't mind the marketing but some ads and distance gain statements are pretty far fetched. Anything that gets more attention to the sport is a good thing.

Their marketshare has decreased quite a bit over the last decade as Bridgestone has come in and started ball fitting (but they still dominate and its not close). They lost their lawsuit against Bridgestone when they sued to stop them from using the term #1 Ball Fitter (generalizing). If you go back through the golf ball history the last few decades, there are a whole lot of discoveries that Bridgestone has made including seamless.

Last year both Callaway and TaylorMade dropped as well.

Makes sense. It was the first time in my memory that I felt like Titleist was defensive in their advertising. I think that is why it stood out to me.

Nothing bothers me as long as it's ethically acceptable and I haven't seen anything unethical in the golf industry as long as I've been watching anyways (~10 years). These companies are around to make money and if you have an advantage over someone else (ie: most used, etc), then use it.

I may be crazy but I actually like the marketing. It keeps things fresh and gets me excited each year to play. I simply cant afford to always go out and buy new stuff (although I am upgrading my irons this year) but it still gets me excited to see whats new and makes me want to go try all the new stuff. I can see how some of it may be annoying at times but I still like the excitement.

As I think about it, companies across every industry either market themselves as the largest (and therefore best) or as different than what the largest company is doing. Sure, there are some commercials I like (usually humorous ones) and ones I don't, but from a golf perspective, marketing on TV or in magazines is pretty much universal white noise for me. I am influenced much more by the direct communication strategies (where I am offered the ability to ask MY questions and get answers) and peer review strategies. I am much more willing to take a chance on something (or search it out to try) that THP has reviewed, or at least the forum has discussed, than I am solely off of company driven marketing.

I like TV commercials with old men and animals (e.g. GolfNow)

I dislike TV commercials with freaky puppets arresting people for playing golf (e.g. Taylormade)

However, I do like Taylormade's ad campaign for Project (a).

Another area I like -call it customer engagement, call it marketing, but I think what some of the brands, and especially the folks at Callaway are doing interacting with customers and potentially directly on Twitter and places like THP is great.

"We have more players on tour playing our Driver than Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra,..etc combined".

I don't see this as downplaying or degrading another product. I see it as providing a statistic. Most of the companies do it in one way or another.
As long as it's truthful, I see no problem.

TaylorMade and Titleist just bother me. I like a little humor in my adds Nike Bridgestone Wilson Staff all do a good job IMO

I saw the same ad and thought something totally different Dev. I don't see it as putting the other companies down to gain market share. If it's the truth then it should used. They aren't talking badly about their competitors they are just pointing out facts. I agree putting down your competitor to get a head is pretty bad but I don't see this as one of those situations.

And let's be honest, if Callaway did it I don't think you'd have an issue :act-up:

I don't get caught up in any of the marketing. If I gained every yard the OEM's have stated in the last 10 years, I'd be driving the ball 730 yards. Take it all with a grain of salt......

As has been stated here at THP before, all the major OEM's make great products for someone.

Another area I like -call it customer engagement, call it marketing, but I think what some of the brands, and especially the folks at Callaway are doing interacting with customers and potentially directly on Twitter and places like THP is great.

One of the things I love currently about Callaway is their involvement here and in all social media. They are involved and they are paying attention.

TaylorMade and Titleist just bother me. I like a little humor in my adds Nike Bridgestone Wilson Staff all do a good job IMO

A turn off for me with Titleist is the fact they won't get involved here and they are not nearly as active today in social media as they should be. Tells me they don't care what I think and they don't want people like us testing their equipment. I think the thought is, the brand sells itself and they don't have to do what the others are doing. If history teaches us anything when it comes to golf equipment, it is that no one stays at the top forever. Just ask Spalding and Wilson...........

Back