Using a putter off the green.

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
Does the use of a putter off the green to get the ball on the green count as a putt? Asked another way, once the ball is actually on the green is when the putt count starts?

Got my second birdie today and three pars....:banana: Also had at least one, or more snowmen :banghead:

A putt is only considered a putt when the ball is on the green.

You're right, it doesn't count as a putt until you're on the green.
I'm interested to know whether a pitch/chip shot played from the green counts as a putt though? For instance Phil Mickelson a few years back used his wedge on the green because he couldn't putt the ball. Curious and curiouser....................

I'm interested to know whether a pitch/chip shot played from the green counts as a putt though?

I don't know but a good way to get kicked off the course for screwing up the green with a divot. We have several holes here with two greens next to each other. If you end up on the non-hole green, you move the ball off the green (without penalty) before pitch/chipping. Then again, pros don't seem to care how bad they screw up the turf.

There is no rule that says you can't chip when on the green so I could care less what greenkeepers think. I can chip off the green and not take a divot so if the need ever arose I wouldn't think twice about chipping.

There is no rule that says you can't chip when on the green so I could care less what greenkeepers think. I can chip off the green and not take a divot so if the need ever arose I wouldn't think twice about chipping.

Due to my skill level, I could take a divot or worse. Would not chance it. I also majored in horticulture and understand how intense turf grass management is and respect the greenkeeper and the follow on players for that green.

I would think that a stroke taken with any club while on the putting surface would count as a putt.

Putting from the fringe surely counts as a putt though, no?

Putting from the fringe surely counts as a putt though, no?

From what I understand, the PGA Tour only counts balls on the putting surface as putts; if your ball is just off the putting surface, in the fringe, and you use your putter, it doesn't count as a putt for stats purposes.

Well shoot. I guess I'm officially not as awful if a putter as a thought after all!

#silverlining

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

From what I understand, the PGA Tour only counts balls on the putting surface as putts; if your ball is just off the putting surface, in the fringe, and you use your putter, it doesn't count as a putt for stats purposes.

Yes, and this is the reason my putting stats look good. :) Less GIR's equals less putts :D

Agree, on green=putt

When you putt off the green with a putter, it is a Texas wedge.

If you are looking at it from a statistical standpoint, I am pretty sure the PGA Tour counts any shot taken once you reach the green on a hole as a putt. That also includes shots taken if you should happen to putt the ball OFF the green and have to chip back on. (Or have to blast it out of the sand!)

You obviously cannot hit a green in regulation, putt it off the green and then chip it in for an up and down. Not for stats purposes anyway. It is a GIR and a two putt par. Technically. One can score it however they want, but if they want to be correct, I think it needs to be done that way. Just like shots with a putter from the fringe are not putts (unless you were already on the green and putted to the fringe!).

I've always thought that official putt stats were kept if the putt occurred on the green, not off...

Dax

What if you use a driver off the fringe? Chip or Putt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What if you use a driver off the fringe? Chip or Putt?
If it's from the fringe, it's not a putt no matter what you use.

Maybe you can say you drove the green.

If it's from the fringe, it's not a putt no matter what you use.

could I count it as driving the green :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Under no circumstances would I ever chip from a green. I don't think it's about keeping the greenskeeper happy, it's about taking care of the course.

Under no circumstances would I ever chip from a green. I don't think it's about keeping the greenskeeper happy, it's about taking care of the course.

I've chipped on a green. They put a bunker right in the center of the green and I was on the opposite side from the pin.

Stupid design.

Yes I took a divot...

I've chipped on a green. They put a bunker right in the center of the green and I was on the opposite side from the pin.

Stupid design.

Yes I took a divot...

Ok, you got me there. If they put a bunker in the center of the green, then I suppose they are inviting people to chip on it.

MikeDean... thoughts?

Back