Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Thanks Canadan!!!! There is a noticeable difference, but only in the toe for me. I guess I was hoping the head itself might be noticeably larger but not so much. I am really drawn to these DPC but I would hate to buy them if they are not as forgiving as I am hoping for. I'm thinking I want something a little more helpful than my AP2s and since I have had the J40 CB and see them side by side with the DPCs, I'm not sure they will be exactly what I am looking for. Gotta keep researching!

I played My DPC's this weekend and was pleased with the well struck balls.

A friend stopped by and fell in love after looking through my bag, lol.

Last edited:
Now that I've had some time to jot down some thoughts from hitting the DPC's for two rounds this week, thanks to 441. I can't thank you enough for allowing me to smack them around, however a 9i would have been nice. :alien2:

Initial thoughts:
The aerotech shafts were very light, however I felt I knew where the clubface was at all times throughout the swing. The ball flight IMO seemed to be mid - high penatrating and landing softly. Distance wise I feel I was picking up a few yards throughout all clubs, which IMO is a plus. Now over the next few months I need to decide which route to take shaft wise. I would have to say I had some good ball striking with these clubs.

Just a few months ago I was pro CB with DG100's. Let the ponder begin or find a set of DPC's equipped with some DG's.

Mr. Mike Dean was nice enough to lend me his DPCs shafted with Aerotech 95 regular flex. I have very little experience playing graphite shafts but I am impressed with the Aerotechs. If I were to go the graphite shaft route, I would probably look into a different shaft flex and possibly a little heavier to bring the ball flight down, but for a regular flex the Aerotechs work pretty surprisingly well for me with the DPCs.

The DPCs feel incredible on well struck shots and give me all the feedback I could ask for on mishits. They are forgiving and long. I felt comfortable within a few swings. In terms of distance, I was hitting the PW and 6 pretty much the same distance as my Apex. Don't know if it is the lighter shaft, as the DPC is a 30* vs 27* of the Apex. Ball flight is very high with a little more right to left movement than I see with my current set. The proper shaft pairing with straighten that out. Heel to toe, they are little longer than my Apex but they do not look big or bulky to my eye and if anything, give me confidence.

I didn't get a chance to hit the 4 or 5 iron today, but I hit the 6 and PW multiple times and a had a good result with each swing. I hit one thin with the 6 but still found the green. Looking forward to spending more time with these.

Got out to play today thanks to THP challenge #3, and had the DPC 5 and 6 in the bag. Only played 9, but had a lot of chances to hit the 6 and just love it so dang much. Every shot was dead straight and I didn't feel like I could put a bad swing on the ball with it. Only got to try the 5 out once, and didn't make a great swing and I felt it, though there wasn't much distance loss. I'm very excited to put a full set of these in play down in MB. The J40 54* wedge was money today too, but I think that's a different thread.

Mr. Mike Dean was nice enough to lend me his DPCs shafted with Aerotech 95 regular flex. I have very little experience playing graphite shafts but I am impressed with the Aerotechs. If I were to go the graphite shaft route, I would probably look into a different shaft flex and possibly a little heavier to bring the ball flight down, but for a regular flex the Aerotechs work pretty surprisingly well for me with the DPCs.

The DPCs feel incredible on well struck shots and give me all the feedback I could ask for on mishits. They are forgiving and long. I felt comfortable within a few swings. In terms of distance, I was hitting the PW and 6 pretty much the same distance as my Apex. Don't know if it is the lighter shaft, as the DPC is a 30* vs 27* of the Apex. Ball flight is very high with a little more right to left movement than I see with my current set. The proper shaft pairing with straighten that out. Heel to toe, they are little longer than my Apex but they do not look big or bulky to my eye and if anything, give me confidence.

I didn't get a chance to hit the 4 or 5 iron today, but I hit the 6 and PW multiple times and a had a good result with each swing. I hit one thin with the 6 but still found the green. Looking forward to spending more time with these.

Once in done with my lessons and my swing is dialed in I'm getting these bad boys back. Don't get me wrong I love my Apex and how they feel but I still stand on my comments and many others in here that these are some of the best feeling irons EVER!

Once in done with my lessons and my swing is dialed in I'm getting these bad boys back. Don't get me wrong I love my Apex and how they feel but I still stand on my comments and many others in here that these are some of the best feeling irons EVER!

Feel is amazing. I'm very impressed. I won't keep these too long. I promise. :alien:

Feel is amazing. I'm very impressed. I won't keep these too long. I promise. :alien:

If available would you consider a heavier aerotech for the MC in these?

If available would you consider a heavier aerotech for the MC in these?

Absolutely. I think a heavier and/or stiffer shaft would help bring the launch down and help with dispersion. I am impressed with the Aerotechs.

Absolutely. I think a heavier and/or stiffer shaft would help bring the launch down and help with dispersion. I am impressed with the Aerotechs.

Aerotech 110 would be pretty good for you, I'm thinking. Bridgestone does offer the Aerotech 125, but I've heard those are pretty burly shafts.

Aerotech 110 would be pretty good for you, I'm thinking. Bridgestone does offer the Aerotech 125, but I've heard those are pretty burly shafts.

I might have to hit the gym before using the 125. According to the website, Bridgestone does offer the 110, so that could be an option.

Bridgestone staffers were invited to a conference call and Dan brought up a question about choosing the right set of irons. The DPC vs CB. The general idea is 10+ cap should be playing DPC. 5 to 10 perhaps a combo, under 5 CBs. It was pointed out that Fred Couples plays a full set of DPC. In the end it will be personal preferences that dictate the most but if Couples can play a full set of DPC there is no reason any others cannot

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see how the staffers go. I know I never needed anything harder to hit than what Couples plays.

Makes perfect sense to me based on my experiences hitting both.

It will be interesting to see how the staffers go. I know I never needed anything harder to hit than what Couples plays.

Couples is a wonderful example when discussing options, and it didn't surprise me in the least that he was brought up.

As far as I'm concerned, while I have been truly enjoying the CBs, I am not convinced I won't return to the DPCs before long and during the event.

Late to the party on this discussion, but I gotta say, it was an enlightening conversation on many different things. With respect to the irons, I had several previous staffers suggest to me that the DPC's would be everything I would ever want from a performance perspective. The folks at Bridgestone and frankly the discussion in this thread and the J40 CB thread have confirmed it for me. It was great being able to talk with them! More later.

JM

Im looking forward to playing these later this year. I've got to see what all this hype is about.

Im looking forward to playing these later this year. I've got to see what all this hype is about.

You have a set, don't you Kevin?

I have a set of heads yes, they're out on loan right now.

I have a set of heads yes, they're out on loan right now.

Gotcha, I thought I remember you talking about them. They are solid, still demanding IMO, but very solid.

Gotcha, I thought I remember you talking about them. They are solid, still demanding IMO, but very solid.
I hit Canadan's last year in Ohio. I fell in list over them. Demanding in what kind of way?

Hey Kevin,

For me, they still let me know when I hit a loose shot. There is additional toe forgiveness out there, but you still FEEL it. I love them, and had a really good honeymoon period, but the combination of some swing/grip changes have shown me that I am still human and you must be firing on all cylinders to game these consistently well.

Probably a trite and overused expression, but a well struck shot with these is soooooo buttery smooth brother.

JM

Back