Grind It Out or Give It Up

niteowl03

Reaction score
Handicap
A 2yr old
Freddie (and others),

I went to the range tonight to work on some of the swing changes that my instructor has me doing and after about 30 balls it was quite obvious that things werent working. I finished the bucket off 100+ balls trying to remember the things we have worked on and continued to struggle. 1/2 to 3/4 swings werent bad but still not up to the results I have been seeing lately. I couldnt hit any club in my bag well, lots of fats, thins, pushes, pulls etc. I was talking about this with Capt.Dru tonight on the range and neither of us were quite sure the best option!!

So my question is: Do you grind it out through the bucket and maybe another one until you figure it out, or do you just stop for the night knowing that you its not working and commit to another day?

Thanks.

Giving up will accomplish nothing. Go back to basics, find something that is working, and build from there.

I grind it out. I paid for the bucket, I'm hitting the entire bucket. When things aren't going my way on the range, I usually step back, breathe, take a couple minutes to reset, then go again.

Agree. I grind it out. Most of the time, I find my swing again and come away with a lot from the experience. If I can't find my swing after the session, then I may consider a lesson.

Agree. I grind it out. Most of the time, I find my swing again and come away with a lot from the experience. If I can't find my swing after the session, then I may consider a lesson.

I have another lesson scheduled for next tuesday, and I know the swing change will take time, I didnt know if there was the ability to do more harm than good by finishing out the bucket.

I have done both. Really depends where my mind is. If I am getting nothing accomplished I will walk away. I don't want to beat myself up over and over. I will say it has to be a pretty bad session for that to happen though.

I have done both. Really depends where my mind is. If I am getting nothing accomplished I will walk away. I don't want to beat myself up over and over. I will say it has to be a pretty bad session for that to happen though.

Until this year, I really hated the range, never found it to accomplish anything, but lately I have been enjoying it because of the lessons and the progress, but tonight was as if I had never swing a club before. Even with the lessons I have had a consistent miss throughout a session. Tonight I was all over the place. Good to know someone else has at least considered walking away.

I have another lesson scheduled for next tuesday, and I know the swing change will take time, I didnt know if there was the ability to do more harm than good by finishing out the bucket.

I think it all depends on your mindset. There is nothing wrong with finishing out your session as long as you maintain some semblance of positivity, even if its only positivity about things being better tomorrow.

Most of the time i will grind it out but if i feel like nothing is working i take a walk and clear my head then come back and finish my bucket

Until this year, I really hated the range, never found it to accomplish anything, but lately I have been enjoying it because of the lessons and the progress, but tonight was as if I had never swing a club before. Even with the lessons I have had a consistent miss throughout a session. Tonight I was all over the place. Good to know someone else has at least considered walking away.

I've done it. Its rare. But some times I need to just reboot if you know what I mean. Could be as simple as going over to the putting green for some time or working on short game. But I've had times where its shank after shank and its miserable. At some point its mental and I'd like to get those thoughts out of my head.

when I get to that point i try to get back to being comfortable. Take a walk, clean some clubs, do some windwills, etc. Anything to loosen up the tension.

Grind it out.

I will stop the full swing shots, and get into chipping/pitching. Start with a shorter swing, and then gradually start getting myself back up to a full swing again (but realistically my full swing is more a 3/4 swing now anyways).

I look at it that if I was on the course and my swing wasn't working, I wouldn't walk off. I would keep grinding, keep working. Even if it meant hitting punch shots, or modified swing, I would find a way to finish the round. So why would I walk away from the range.

I pick my favorite club (7 Iron) take easy swings and finish off the bucket, that usually gets me back into the groove.

I will always grind it out. Just to get my money's worth haha but I feel your pain. If it isnt clicking I try to work on something else and at least try to leave on a positive note. Even if its not exactly what I planned to doing, at least its something

Most of the time i will grind it out but if i feel like nothing is working i take a walk and clear my head then come back and finish my bucket

I have sadly experienced this several times the last couple months. Start off hitting it well, then just bang: pull hooks or the dreaded S word non stop. Several times where I have walked away, maybe made a phone call or even spent few minutes at the putting green before returning to focus on one thing to try and finish the session on a positive note.

No matter how much I have wanted to, I will not walk away from the range with out feeling like I am moving in the right direction.

Grind it out buddy, I shanked balls for an hour up to my tee time in Hilton head 2 weeks ago, quitting accomplishes nothing.

Never leave balls behind for the homies

Grind It Out or Give It Up

I agree with Mike. Grind it out. For what I thought was going to be a great weekend in HH, I found myself thinking too much which related into high, high scores. Followed up those nasty rounds with a range session that
looked like I was going to chop down a metal pole. I stepped back and asked myself what the hell I was doing. Grabbed a wedge and hit 60 yd lob shots. Packed up my clubs and headed back to my hotel room. Watched some golf and went out and played one of my better rounds in the last 6 months. I didn't think about my swing adjustments and just played golf. I had some exceptional ball striking in a difficult course.

#trainthemind and it will come!!!

Last edited:
If "grinding it out" means just mindlessly finishing out the bucket, then no, you know that is not right. I'm taking lessons now too and have sessions just like that. My coach told me up front not to focus on where the ball is going, or how well or poor the results are, but focus on the specific move or swing characteristic you're working on. If I'm struggling, I take a break, get a beverage and think about what I'm working on. It helps me to just visualize the swing I'm trying to make for a little while, and then go back and try to do it. If that doesn't work after a while, I just go home and come back fresh tomorrow.

Personally I think there is nothing worse than grooving a bad swing. If I have an off day I stick to short game and don't hit full shots.

Depends for me really. If I can't fix anything or NOTHING is working for me I'll totally just walk away from hitting full shots and work on hitting half swing knock down or short game pitch and chip shots.

grind it out, then after hitting balls go to the putting green and make a few putts to "get your mind right" then leave

I've been there many times. I usually shorten my swing and work on some fundamentals, after some cussing at myself. I'm pretty tough on myself, so I feel your pain.

I grind it out--I can't leave without a decent shot. I have been know to hunt the stray ball just to get a good hit if I missed one of the last ones.

One thing I do when I have plenty of range time and something is a little off--like unwanted push right or hook left--is I exaggerate it and do it on purpose. Feeling what I am doing to make it happen--then turn it the other way with exaggerated move (hook or slice) and then back to the middle. Seems to work most of the time.

for me the go-to drill on general ball striking issues for fat or thin is the old 9-3 drill to figure it out before going full swing again.

Hit another bucket, check stance, spine angle and grip. Then check how my club is going back. If all that is in order should be smooth sailing. Been trying to fix my swing as well. So I'm going through these struggles as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not feel that grinding it out accomplishes anything. If you can not remember what you are there to work on, then it's a waste of time. Next your at the range and it's not a positive session, step back and think of what and why you came. Once you have that, step back in. Of you can't find it, then pack it in.

The range I go to allows me to return the balls I didn't hit for a rain heck if I have a bad night or session.

Back