Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pointers, these are all super helpful!

It feels like everything on the screen is just fuzzy, maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the adjustment from 17 inches to 15 inches. Maybe I am just getting older and need my eyes checked.

Screen should not appear blurry on any modern laptop. Ck to see if your resolution is at the max. If so, take it back to BB. Don't spend a lot of time configuring a PC that you may have to exchange.

Screen should not appear blurry on any modern laptop. Ck to see if your resolution is at the max. If so, take it back to BB. Don't spend a lot of time configuring a PC that you may have to exchange.

It's definitely on the highest resolution. Josh says it looks fine, i think it looks fuzzy, so it must be me.

Getting used to the smaller font is hard too, I feel so old.

It's definitely on the highest resolution. Josh says it looks fine, i think it looks fuzzy, so it must be me.

Did you by any chance switch from a glossy to anti-glare screen? That took me a bit of getting used to when I got my new work laptop, which didn't have a glossy screen.

You can change the text size without changing the resolution. Not sure on Win 8 but on Windows 7 if you right click the desktop and go to Screen Resolution. Below all the drop down boxes there is a link for Make text and other items larger or smaller. Click that, then you can change it from there.

You can also check to make sure that the font smoothing is set on.

Poor GG. I used to get excited to upgrade, but lately it's just a nuisance. New things to get used to that seem changed for change's sake, not for truly useful purposes. Or that add a lot of complexity to accommodate features used by 1 in a thousand users.

I do like the convertibles though.

I am just an old school person. I still thought CD's were relative until someone told me no one used them anymore. Well, I do. I own a website, but truth be told, I don't really embrace technology. I still struggle with the DVD player, which I am told is also obsolete.

I have fixed most of the fuzzy issue I Was having. I have to change a setting in each program that is giving me that problem. Annoying, but it worked.

Ok, so now to another tech question. Does anyone have a good alternative to the old Google Calendar Sync? I was grandfathered in with the old one because I had it before they discontinued it in 2012. Now I don't know what to do to sync my outlook calendar with google. Basically what I Want is my phone and computer calendar to work together. I Don't want to have to manually sync them, I want it to be done automatically like Google Calendar Sync used to do.

Morgan, the program I have used to do this on numerous clients is "gsyncit" it works great and is constantly being updated to hold with the changes Google makes.

Morgan, the program I have used to do this on numerous clients is "gsyncit" it works great and is constantly being updated to hold with the changes Google makes.

That one gets great reviews! Will it automatically sync so I don't have to do anything manually?

That one gets great reviews! Will it automatically sync so I don't have to do anything manually?

Yes, it can be setup to either sync everytime you open outlook, or to just run in the background of windows. It really is a great program for accomplishing what you want and the price isnt bad.

Yes, it can be setup to either sync everytime you open outlook, or to just run in the background of windows. It really is a great program for accomplishing what you want and the price isnt bad.

No, the price isn't bad at all, most of the ones I Saw were $50, so $20 is great. I Am going to try the free trial and see if I like it. Thanks!

Does it work two ways? Meaning as you update your phone calendar will it auto sync to outlook calendar? Or is it in Bluetooth range only?

GG, if you aren't on an Exchange system I think you can just Setup Outlook to use the Google Calendar. I used to use the old sync app on my corp PC and wanted the two synced.

If you don't have that need to maintain a "primary" Calendar then I think you can make Google the Outlook default.

Has anybody here replaced their desktops with tablets, but kept the monitor, for screen size purposes?

I've got a older model HP with XP. I plan on moving to Windows 8.0 or 8.1 in the near future. I don't want to spend a grand. But, i don't want to lose functionality or screen size.

Pros/Cons, Tips/Tricks?

Does it work two ways? Meaning as you update your phone calendar will it auto sync to outlook calendar? Or is it in Bluetooth range only?

it works 2 ways. Bluetooth isnt needed. It uses the internet 100%(wifi or data). Your phone will sync to google and the google to outlook, just as it was with the Google Calendar Sync.

It will also to contacts, and I believe notes, and tasks as well although I have never used those.

Looks like I don't have the right Outlook 2007. It said I needed 64bit, I guess I don't have that. I have 2007 Pro, not sure what the difference is.

GG, if you aren't on an Exchange system I think you can just Setup Outlook to use the Google Calendar. I used to use the old sync app on my corp PC and wanted the two synced.

If you don't have that need to maintain a "primary" Calendar then I think you can make Google the Outlook default.

I am not on an exchange. How do I set up outlook to use the google calendar? Can I use it through outlook?

Preface this with I am exclusively in the iOS environment. I did find this with a search: http://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2013/11/20/sync-google-calendar-with-outlook/

PC here, no apple products for me.

Looks like I don't have the right Outlook 2007. It said I needed 64bit, I guess I don't have that. I have 2007 Pro, not sure what the difference is.

I am not on an exchange. How do I set up outlook to use the google calendar? Can I use it through outlook?

PC here, no apple products for me.

I didnt think you had to use 64bit. I thought there were 2 different downloads, but I can do some checking.

While I know its a bit bigger leap, another option would be to use Thunderbird. It replaces outlook and syncs directly out of the box with Google...just another option.

it works 2 ways. Bluetooth isnt needed. It uses the internet 100%(wifi or data). Your phone will sync to google and the google to outlook, just as it was with the Google Calendar Sync.

It will also to contacts, and I believe notes, and tasks as well although I have never used those.

Thank you.

I didnt think you had to use 64bit. I thought there were 2 different downloads, but I can do some checking.

While I know its a bit bigger leap, another option would be to use Thunderbird. It replaces outlook and syncs directly out of the box with Google...just another option.

When I tried to download it I got a message that said I needed outlook 64bit. : (

EDIT: that could be because I was trying to download the 64bit version :banghead:

Thank you.

No Problem.

Morgan I just checked the site there are 2 downloads, one for 32bit and one for 64bit. You need the 32bit one.

When I tried to download it I got a message that said I needed outlook 64bit. : (

EDIT: that could be because I was trying to download the 64bit version :banghead:

It is confusing because your version of windows is 64bit, but not of office. I understand totally

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back