Music On The Course - Straight Talk W/ Jake

My friends and I almost always have music on. We try to keep it within our group as far as how loud it gets but most of the time we just listen to chill music which tends to be not as burdening on the people who may not like music during the round. We had one guy last year from a group I was in tell us on hole 15 that he hated the music being on and contributed that as to the reason his round sucked. I know it's not true but after he said that we turned it off and he continued on his terrible round. That is the only complaint I've had in about 2 or 3 years of almost always listening to music on the course

I sure hope you asked the guy playing with you before turning it on it may or may not have altered his round but i would always ask before hand so as not to disturb someone else

Hmmmmm should I bring one of them boom boxes to the King and have dueling banjos jamming on the first tee :D:guitar:

Maybe you had already ruined his round by that point. And he only had three holes to go, was he supposed to magically start hitting it well, like his attitude suddenly changed because the music was gone?

And just because you didn't have any complaints doesn't mean people didn't mind. Maybe, for whatever reason, they didn't feel like they should have said anything to you.

Do you ask first, or do you just start up the music and assume if someone has a problem, then it's their responsibility to speak up? And how do you know what is "not as burdening" to someone who doesn't want to listen to music. If they don't want to listen to music, then anything is "burdening".

This guy is a friend and co-worker. He knows that we listen to music all the time and also knows that if he had an issue he could speak up. Like I said we immediately turned it off and never said a word more about it. I will ask first if I am in a setting that includes someone new but most of the time we play with friends, I don't just turn my music on and whoever is around must adhere to whatever plays. We might have ruined his round prior to that but it doesn't mean that the next holes things shouldn't change? The variable that was a problem was now solved after that it's your fault to fester over what has now been remedied.

Hmmmmm should I bring one of them boom boxes to the King and have dueling banjos jamming on the first tee :D:guitar:

Bill, I'll make sure I've got dueling banjos on my phone before we head down there.

as long as no one has to squeal like a pig :(
BTW That was a classic movie. lol

Those Team Harry boys might be hollaring like something got a hold of em once this wing ding winds up :D

First off, great first article Jake, well done! 2nd, I'm not against music on the course, as I have played with music on in the past with others. I personally haven't done this myself, but I'm not against doing that. Honestly, I was thinking about getting some Bluetooth wireless headset so that I could listen to music (or sports) while I'm on the range or out playing a round by myself.
BUT with that said, I have to agree with what rollin posted last about my round may be trivial for me, but may NOT be for the guy(s) I'm playing with. That really made me stop and think. A few years ago I was playing with my brother, and I was playing good. I don't get to play often, and when I play well I get a little more focused than normal. We were playing with a twosome that just got randomly paired with us. We weren't listening to music (neither were they) but we made the turn, and I was beating my brother and playing well. Then he kicked my ball off the tee before I took a swing on one hole. He laughed, I didn't and I told him to stop. He ended up doing it 3 more times, to the point where I was REALLY pissed off and ended up hitting a bad shot. My round went to **** after this, I just couldn't get that thought and anger out of my mind. He could see this and apologized, but it was to late.
Bottom line was, it was just a "for fun" round, but I was playing good and wanted to play well. Normally, on a round like this, I'd just not really care what I shoot, but this time I was playing well and wanted to post a good number....for me. If there was music blaring at that time, I'm not so sure I wouldn't want it on while I was playing either. Where does that leave me? 50/50? Depends on the situation? F-it? Honestly, I'm not sure where I stand. I guess I would take it the group, with the caveat that if situations change and someone wants me to turn it down, or off....then I would.

To use a horse racing term on your first column Jake… You broke your maiden as a first time starter ! That column was a winner from the get go.

As a musician, I can really appreciate music, just about anywhere. Everyone could use a little more "Funky Cold Medina" !
I “Rock out with my Driver out” on occasion, but do it with ear buds so no one can complain.
Mrs. Drumdog has been begging for me to install a stereo in our golf cart for a couple of years now. Maybe I will do that this year.
I am seeing more and more stereos in carts all the time. If I do, you can be sure the volume will be down, unless the others in the group want to rock out.

Again, thanks for a great article and keep up the good work buddy !

This was a good read. You mentioned 90s hip hop and I immediately thought of you starting your article off with The Fresh Prince "Now this is the story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down" hahahah sorry couldn't help myself. I usually dont hear anyone playing music but the few times I do, it doesn't bug me. As long as they aren't playing something super loud or obnoxious. I may try playing some myself this season, may keep me more relaxed

I like to have fun when I play golf, even if it's a bit competitive. Usually, at the fun things I'm doing elsewhere, working out, hanging with friends, etc., there's music. So I don't see what the big deal is to have music while I golf.

Also, I figure the music, which has a beat you can hear and sense, would help drown out the random noises that are more likely to throw off your game. The really loud bird, the guy getting a text message during your waggle, all those actually annoying things. Put on some tunes, wrap yourself up in a beat and a melody, and drown out everything else.

Great article Jake. This is going to be an awesome column. Love how it's getting people talking.

I for one love music and would love to have music during a round. I have yet to do it as I've been hesitant to bother anyone I play with. I hope to at some point, I know it would help me stay calm and loose, which I really need.

Great first collum on your thoughts Jake I really enjoyed it. The first time I played with music on was in Dallas at the Adams event, and I really enjoyed it. I'm thinking for some of the scrambles I play in this could be a lot of fun with the right group. The key is not getting paired with the guys that are trying to shoot 20 under or something. I have even started thinking about getting a speaker. Now just to make sure JeffREEDMO would be good with it. We could make the old guys at the course we play go nuts lol.

Shoot man, let it rip. I've played with music on for years. Usually classic rock or the Cardinal games. I'm not a dancer, but I will sing out some tunes from time to time. No ones music bothers me. Now it a live mariachi band were to follow me around for 18 holes, we might have to rekindle the Spanish-American War.

Opinions and like a**holes, 'everyone has one' SO in my opinion no music!! does that make me a asshole too?

Not that I'm aware of.

as long as no one has to squeal like a pig :(
BTW That was a classic movie. lol
My buddy and his son watch this movie every xmas... lol. I watch xmas Vacation.

Great topic Jake,

I love to listen to music on the course. We had such a good time in Dallas with it. It just set the tone for the day and it really loosened me up for the round

What an excellent read. Thanks

I love music. I am an accomplished musician who have been actively playing for over 20 years. With that said, I enjoy playing golf as nature intended. I prefer the natural ambiance of the birds, wind, and guys yelling who just lost their pro v1's or arguing over what stroke they're on.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a tournament with music or something, but as a whole, I like golf stock and right out of the box.

Heres to a summer full of golf and 90's hip hop! Cant wait. :drinks:

I absolutely LOVE listening to music. And I LOVE the game of golf. So why shouldn't my 2 loves meet up in the middle. I think the music is relaxing to me. Doesn't really matter what is playing per say. Just the fact that there is music and I'm good. Now, I am respectful to know that not everyone is going to want to listen. So I would keep it down so that my playing partner and I could listen. But if the consensus in our playing group is to "play that funky music white boy", then play it we must.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Everyone I know views that movie as a comedy (myself included).

My buddy and his son watch this movie every xmas... lol. I watch xmas Vacation.

Sorry to be off topic but I have to ask. Judging by your comments I'm not so sure if we are talking about the same movie. Certainly no comedy nor a holiday classic in any way. The movie is called "Deliverance" from 1972. Burt Reynolds, John Voight, Ned Beatty. Dueling Banjos and "squeal like a pig" are two famous scenes and one is quite disturbing but both are what caused my comment towards "OldGray's" post. Anyway not a funny movie or a holiday cheerful one so just checking if you guys had a different movie in mind. Or a very strange sense of humor and holiday spirit :)

Lets keep this on topic please. Thank you.

I picked up a Beats by Dre Pill last week in Vegas. This will be in my bag for the forseeable future. I will always respect those around me but if they like music during the round, the pill will be out.

I dont know, I'm not big on it, but I guess I don't care as long as I can't hear it. Music isn't that big of a deal to me. I usually only listen to it in the car and when I'm working out. But on the course, I want to hear things. I want to hear the wind in the trees, I want to hear the strike of the ball on club, I want to hear the slience. I expect to hear some loud month talking to loud or hear a cart taking off. But I don't expect to hear music. Maybe I'm old fashioned or snooty, but I just feel like a golf course is a place to get away from the normal sounds of a day, I dont know....

Back