Tell me something new about your neighbor

I reached out to my man brianbigoats, or "big goats" as some of you remember. Brian made a great post in thread about a month ago talking about the forum. He brought up some great points, and while some got a bit defensive, he opened my eyes and kind made me more conscious about how I interact with newer folks on the forum.

Brian has been a member since 2012, but he has recently started being much more active, and he has posted over 500 times this month alone (beating a lot of MC guys, including myself!)

So I reached out to him to learn a bit more about what he does. He's a winemaker for one of the top 5 wineries in the country and lives in the Central Valley of Ca. He is expecting twins in 3 mos! His name is actually Brian + Big Oats, which is a nickname he got in grade school. (I still like big goats :alien:) Beyond golf, Brian likes working on his 1971 Chevy Truck and also takes care of a 150 gallon reef tank in his house!

He is a good guy and I think makes a great addition to the forum. Thanks Brian!

Cool idea Freddie, it's all about the networking!

Great idea, Freddie, I'm certainly in.

I like it Freddie! Count me in.

I reached out to my man brianbigoats, or "big goats" as some of you remember. Brian made a great post in thread about a month ago talking about the forum. He brought up some great points, and while some got a bit defensive, he opened my eyes and kind made me more conscious about how I interact with newer folks on the forum.

Brian has been a member since 2012, but he has recently started being much more active, and he has posted over 500 times this month alone (beating a lot of MC guys, including myself!)

So I reached out to him to learn a bit more about what he does. He's a winemaker for one of the top 5 wineries in the country and lives in the Central Valley of Ca. He is expecting twins in 3 mos! His name is actually Brian + Big Oats, which is a nickname he got in grade school. (I still like big goats :alien:) Beyond golf, Brian likes working on his 1971 Chevy Truck and also takes care of a 150 gallon reef tank in his house!

Hey Brian, if you're willing to share, would love to know where you work as a winemaker.

I like reading these stories....I wonder who I should reach out to....

Hey Brian, if you're willing to share, would love to know where you work as a winemaker.

I like reading these stories....I wonder who I should reach out to....

No problem I work for Trinchero Family Estates(Sutter Home, Menage a Trois, Joel Gott, Napa Cellars, plus many others)

Freddie, you weren't supposed to tell anyone that I play a character at Disney. Now they're gonna expect me to talk to them out of character when they go. THANKS A LOT FREDDIE!

I actually sent him a message but it was pretty late in regards to when he sent me the request. I was fortunate enough to meet a WWII veteran a couple months ago. He was very polite and said thank you for taking the time to introduce myself/thank him. He was smiling the entire time, as was I. It was very very awesome to meet someone that much cooler than I will ever be.

So let's talk about my neighbor Bill. You guys may know him by another name "Ole Gray" and charter member of the "Old Coots Club". From day one at THP I found myself reading his posts because he had some good 'ol country sayings that reminded me of Texas and how we have a habit of using sayings.

Some of my favorite sayings have included:

"We're gonna be looking sharp as a bull in a herd of heifers"
"I got some time to take ya to the woodshed :deadhorse: "
"Now you're cooking with Crisco"
"Bring ya bad arse on down to Lane Creek you ole Harry's homer and I'll show a real woodshed ��"
"You boys keep on poking at the hornet's nest but you might want to put a big cushion on ya arses after we light ya up"

So who is Bill? First we all know KellyBo is his better half and not the other way around :act-up:, But seriously Bill served our country in Vietnam, has gone through multiple knee surgeries and still has the determination to keep playing this crazy game we love. He's a country boy down to the core and all the goodness that it entails. He was a pretty good athlete as a younger man and loves everything outdoors. Yes the 'Woodshed" does actually exist and was introduced to him by his dad when he was younger. After a couple of visits to the "shed" Bill realized that wasn't a place he wanted to make a habit visiting. Now Ole Gray uses that as his calling card and you know when you read woodshed he means business.

Thanks Bill for sharing your details with me and I look forward to cracking open a cold one and hearing some stories.

Learn something new everyday. Thank you OG for your service to our country! I have several family connections to the war in Vietnam, so I appreciate what you did for us in those times.

Please let me introduce you to Hoosiergolfer. I've never meet this gentleman but we seem to be on the same page 90% of the time in our views related to golf and life around golf. This is a fascinating read, please enjoy...in his own words

I'm 52 and I've been golfing since the early 70's which makes it right around 40 years now. Much has changed in this 40 years equipment wise.

I grew up on a poultry farm 45 miles south of Ft. Wayne IN. We had 65,000 egg laying hens and farmed 800 acres. This resulted in working 7 days a week ever since I was old enough to walk.

I have a tech degree in civil engineering and worked first for a large commercial printing company for from 1980 (as an intern for two years) until 1995. In mid 95 I went to work for the Department of Transportation. I worked there for 17 years taking early retirement in July 12'. Since then, I have been working for one of the largest baby chick producers in the US (HyLine North America) doing anything and every thing from working inside the hatchery to driving truck (nothing to do with engineering).

I've been married since 1988 and my wife plays golf as well. I have collected and restored old clubs and putters for around 20 years. I once had over 300 putters in my collection which included around 50 different manganese bronze Pings and every Spalding putter designed by TP Mills (around 60 different ones) as well as a few handmade Mills putters. I also collected Cameron putters and I'm a member of TCC although I'm more less inactive there and no longer buy Cameron's. I sold the bulk of my collection over the past two years and now own less than 10 putters.

In 2011 I bought a table top mini mill and set out to make my own putters styles after the late TP Mills. I'm a huge fan of the old "pintail" style putters though I use traditional heel shafted putters most of the time. My putter making has been trial and error and I have had some luck but I've thrown away more than I've finished at this point. I have a brother in law that is a tool & die maker so he has been helping me along. I have completed only 10 putters in two years, so that tells you how long it takes and how slow I am at it. I just don't the time right now and I have not worked on a putter head since last summer.

I like big goats too. ? Brian is a good dude for sure and looking forward to teeing it up with him?⛳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let me introduce you to Hoosiergolfer. I've never meet this gentleman but we seem to be on the same page 90% of the time in our views related to golf and life around golf. This is a fascinating read, please enjoy...in his own words

I'm 52 and I've been golfing since the early 70's which makes it right around 40 years now. Much has changed in this 40 years equipment wise.

I grew up on a poultry farm 45 miles south of Ft. Wayne IN. We had 65,000 egg laying hens and farmed 800 acres. This resulted in working 7 days a week ever since I was old enough to walk.

I have a tech degree in civil engineering and worked first for a large commercial printing company for from 1980 (as an intern for two years) until 1995. In mid 95 I went to work for the Department of Transportation. I worked there for 17 years taking early retirement in July 12'. Since then, I have been working for one of the largest baby chick producers in the US (HyLine North America) doing anything and every thing from working inside the hatchery to driving truck (nothing to do with engineering).

I've been married since 1988 and my wife plays golf as well. I have collected and restored old clubs and putters for around 20 years. I once had over 300 putters in my collection which included around 50 different manganese bronze Pings and every Spalding putter designed by TP Mills (around 60 different ones) as well as a few handmade Mills putters. I also collected Cameron putters and I'm a member of TCC although I'm more less inactive there and no longer buy Cameron's. I sold the bulk of my collection over the past two years and now own less than 10 putters.

In 2011 I bought a table top mini mill and set out to make my own putters styles after the late TP Mills. I'm a huge fan of the old "pintail" style putters though I use traditional heel shafted putters most of the time. My putter making has been trial and error and I have had some luck but I've thrown away more than I've finished at this point. I have a brother in law that is a tool & die maker so he has been helping me along. I have completed only 10 putters in two years, so that tells you how long it takes and how slow I am at it. I just don't the time right now and I have not worked on a putter head since last summer.

HossierGolfer,
This is really interesting. I can't imagine the undertaking of designing and milling putters. Really fascinating. I'm sure you've shared this in folders involving clubmaking and etc here on the forums but those are threads I just haven't read as I'd likely injure myself or the club if I tried anything as simple as re-gripping, much less building clubs. Thanks for passing this on to Freddie and allowing him to share here.

This man speaks softly and carries a lot of clout. I have always admired Donne and I am happy to share a few things about him. He is 100% class! you can take that to the bank.

The food network line gets me, you just like watching folks cook.....hehe

In his own words

Willingham is the new Smith - Just starting with my Grandfather, there are 34 of us that have or had the last name Willingham. My dad is the 2nd of five kids, I am the oldest of 4 brothers, and I have 10 first cousins. My generation is just getting started with their own families and already have six kids.
I've lived in six states and 13 different cities, and went to 10 different schools including college...and we were not military brats.
Maui is my favorite place on Earth...Vegas is distant second.
The guitar opening of Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O Mine is my phone ring tone.
I love watching Food Network, but I am a picky eater and wouldn't eat 95% of the things they cook.

Once got in trouble in school for creating a bow and arrow out of a Bic ink pen and rubber band.

Reached out to the guy you all know as Lopsta5, not to be confused with Maroon5, though now that I think of it Lopsta5 would make a pretty cool band name.

Nathan lives in a country I'd love to visit, New Zealand. He grew up in a small town by the ocean, moved away to the city but it didn't take. After 6 months moved back to the sea side village of his youth.

Nathan has been with the same woman for 13 years and they've been married for 8.

His hobbies beside golf are saltwater fishing and model car building.

He loves golf and has been playing since he was a kid. Nathan even camped out at the golf course once.

I really enjoyed learning a bit more about one of our resident Kiwis and I hope you did too.

Reached out to the guy you all know as Lopsta5, not to be confused with Maroon5, though now that I think of it Lopsta5 would make a pretty cool band name.

Nathan lives in a country I'd love to visit, New Zealand. He grew up in a small town by the ocean, moved away to the city but it didn't take. After 6 months moved back to the sea side village of his youth.

Nathan has been with the same woman for 13 years and they've been married for 8.

His hobbies beside golf are saltwater fishing and model car building.

He loves golf and has been playing since he was a kid. Nathan even camped out at the golf course once.

I really enjoyed learning a bit more about one of our resident Kiwis and I hope you did too.

Nate is a great guy. He is a helluva a fisherman and just an awesome friend..

So let's talk about my neighbor Bill. You guys may know him by another name "Ole Gray" and charter member of the "Old Coots Club".
Fun factoid: Bill also used to play in a band, guitar I think, and he says he was pretty decent.

No PM needed here. I remember meeting Jason in Orlando last year. He was one of the first THPers I met. On top of being a full time firefighter he spends a ton of time running a non profit for Hunter Syndrome. It takes a special kind of person to commit the amount of time he does to this. He also does some woodworking based on some threads I have seen him in and what he has posted looks sweet. Heck, I think he even gave me advice when it was time for me to buy my first zero turn mower! Jack of all trades it seems and just an overall good dude! We played 36 holes together in Orlando and he was in the middle of testing the Daddy long Legs putter. He really helped me understand more about the forum and helped with my initial anxiety about meeting some internet golfer.
Jason is a solid dude, and I forgot to thank him again for what he did for the vets at the Hilton Head event.

What a great idea Freddie, PMs will be going out like wildfire around here!!!

Already learned some good stuff here!

I sent out a message to someone a lot of you know quite well to see if there was anything he could share and the reply that I got didn't surprise me too much with what it turned out to be based on what I have seen from him here on the forum

The generous person in question is none other than DevRickus and it is typical of the things you see him do for many other members on here.

Ricky and his wife both help out at Thanksgiving to distribute food at a shelter to those families who aren't as fortunate - it isn't something he talks about as he believes in doing the right thing rather than doing something for praise and I think he should be applauded for it

Well done Ricky and thank you for sharing

Great thread!!

Mikeg_74 is my neighbor or sorts. He said he lives in the best country in the world = Texas! :D Them cowboys don't fool around as they hunker down when Texas is brought up. Ok let's see what we can conjure up about ole Mike.

*Besides golf he loves to cook.
*His favorite movie of all time is "Casablanca"\
*Music fan of rock to country to blues to hip hop to soul, etc...
*He's comfortable at a black tie affair as I would be at a backyard BBQ.
*He's a pretty laid back sort of guy but if you're a bully he might kick ya arse if he catches you picking on the little dudes.
*Type "A" personality
* He's a straight shooter and expects those around him to be honorable too. If you're caught messing up and telling lies and stuff he won't tolerate that kind of crap.
* He's a family man and loves his wife and two children
* Good ole Southern Gentleman type fellow!
* He respects his elders and says yes mam and yes sir like you suppose to.
* He grew up around Houston with a few years down in the Rio Grande Valley & Dallas. The neighborhoods were pretty tough so he stayed involved in sports to keep out of trouble. Pretty darn good soccer player along with football and basketball too. All around good athlete I'd say.

Mike is a cool dude. I think if we had grown up in the same neck of the woods, we would have been best buddies!

Bill- way too kind sir!!! & yes you read that right... Casablanca

I'm glad this is still going. I think this will allow us to get closer as a community. You'll know more about those posting and why maybe they post what they do. Keep it going

So lets find out something about my friend Canadan. I have know dan for a little under two years and we have hung out three times in the time span. He has lives in the states since 2000 and attended Miami university. He played competetive hockey through college and has no kids but one dog. He has a love for dringing his VW GLi. As A hockey fan he is Blue Jackets to the core. Some of might know of his obession with ball markers, Bridgestone and SeeMore.

I enjoy the guy and his golf game. A few will get to know the Dan through the MC process. He adds a lot to the forum and a lot to many lives.

I'm glad this is still going. I think this will allow us to get closer as a community. You'll know more about those posting and why maybe they post what they do. Keep it going
I think that is key, I've had the luxury of being around for quite a while and learning some of that, but for those that are newer, it might be difficult for them to catch some of those things.

I asked cpljohnst(Barry) a little bit about him after he contacted me.

Barry and his wife will be celebrating their 24th wedding anniversary at the end of this month(congratulations), and he also has two children a 19 year old son and a 17 year old daughter.

He collects military board war games and has over 30 of them but used to have more but has sold some.

Barry has also self taught himself the banjo, but hasn't played much lately.

Also one of his favourite music artists is a New Zealander by the name of Neil Finn and his band Crowded House.

Thank you Barry for sharing and it was cool to learn more about you.

Back