Hitting high on driver face

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
Had my lesson last night and finally got back to hitting the ball closer to center of the face. But now my issue is hitting all the balls high on the top of the face. My instructor told me I was hitting down on the ball. So I wanted to know what you all think and maybe some tips/suggestions. My thoughts are lower the tee or put the ball further forward.

Lowering the tee will actually make you want to hit down on it more

I'm having the same issue. Looking forward to seeing some responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did your instructor say?

didn't think about that, any tips on how to improve. Thought I was setting up properly with the tilt. guess maybe make sure I hit up on it.

He told me I was hitting down on the ball, and I needed to hit the ball on the up swing and to make sure I keep my proper driver angle.
What did your instructor say?

I'll be curious to see what Freddie has to say about this but maybe one thing to try is hovering the driver off the ground just a bit (ala Greg Norman) to see if it helps with your contact zone.

This is not always true. I tee low and have no issues hitting down on the ball.
Lowering the tee will actually make you want to hit down on it more

I have started to do that thanks to KC720. So I am guessing I am to steep.
I'll be curious to see what Freddie has to say about this but maybe one thing to try is hovering the driver off the ground just a bit (ala Greg Norman) to see if it helps with your contact zone.

So Freddie would you reccomend me teeing it lower and seeing what kind of results I get?
This is not always true. I tee low and have no issues hitting down on the ball.

Had my lesson last night and finally got back to hitting the ball closer to center of the face. But now my issue is hitting all the balls high on the top of the face. My instructor told me I was hitting down on the ball. So I wanted to know what you all think and maybe some tips/suggestions. My thoughts are lower the tee or put the ball further forward.
Teeing it higer or lower has some effect on face contact. The real fix is changing the path of the driver through impact. The easiest way to fix a negitive attack angle is add spine angle or tilt. Take your normal set up and then title away from the target about an inch. You will still swing to the inside of the right leg but when you deliver the club into the ball it will attack on an upward path.

You should also make note of where the center of the face is at address. The center of the face at impact can be found by hovering the driver so that the ball in the in the middle of the face. If the ball is anywhere but center then you need to adjust the didatnce you are from the ball. Does this make sense?

gotcha Freddie. Say I was having this issue earlier in the year and talked with KAng (kc720) and he got me to hover the driver and put the ball at the center of the face. Say when I set up to the ball I use my left hand to hold the club to aim it and hover it, then step back with my right foot and bring my right hand underneath to get that angle. My instructor told me last night I had nice form but did say I had a little to much wait on my back when swinging through.
Teeing it higer or lower has some effect on face contact. The real fix is changing the path of the driver through impact. The easiest way to fix a negitive attack angle is add spine angle or tilt. Take your normal set up and then title away from the target about an inch. You will still swing to the inside of the right leg but when you deliver the club into the ball it will attack on an upward path.

You should also make note of where the center of the face is at address. The center of the face at impact can be found by hovering the driver so that the ball in the in the middle of the face. If the ball is anywhere but center then you need to adjust the didatnce you are from the ball. Does this make sense?

too much weight on your back foot?
gotcha Freddie. Say I was having this issue earlier in the year and talked with KAng (kc720) and he got me to hover the driver and put the ball at the center of the face. Say when I set up to the ball I use my left hand to hold the club to aim it and hover it, then step back with my right foot and bring my right hand underneath to get that angle. My instructor told me last night I had nice form but did say I had a little to much wait on my back when swinging through.

too much weight on your back foot?

Yes,he said I need to work better on getting it forward at the end of the swing. Said I am leaving a little to much behind.

Glad to see Freddie has responded. So, I'll ask a question. Wanted to wait until he replied first.

Freddie,
Does this happen a lot because golfers hit "at" the ball, instead of just swinging the club?

Glad to see Freddie has responded. So, I'll ask a question. Wanted to wait until he replied first.

Freddie,
Does this happen a lot because golfers hit "at" the ball, instead of just swinging the club?

As I have heard on the golf channel most people do that instead of hitting through the ball. One of the guys says he finds a target infront of the ball like the feet and think about hitting the ball through to it.

Yes,he said I need to work better on getting it forward at the end of the swing. Said I am leaving a little to much behind.
Make sure the weight on the back swing is on the inside of the right foot. Almost impossible to hang back if you do this.

Freddie,
Yes, most golfers hit at the ball instead of swinging through to their finish. As fast as the club is moving through the zone, if golfers just swung to a finish they would see better results. This is predicated on having some of the fundamentals of the golf swing dialed in. Stance, posture and grip.

You fixed me Freddie. First drive center of fairway 240 yards:)
ydy3yhy2.jpg

That's another one Freddie
8aty9y7y.jpg

Excellent, like to hear it. Just stay with it.

Yes, most golfers hit at the ball instead of swinging through to their finish. As fast as the club is moving through the zone, if golfers just swung to a finish they would see better results. This is predicated on having some of the fundamentals of the golf swing dialed in. Stance, posture and grip.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I am the poster boy for that! I have been working on it, and it has gotten a lot better - but it is a tough habit to break. I find that picking a target in the distance on a line I want the ball to start on and swinging with that target as the focus in my mind is helping tons ( check out some Shawn Clement stuff! ). Also, I took Freddies advice and I take a full practice swing and hold the finish for five seconds before my shot ( especially with the driver ) and that has helped with both swinging through the ball - and with balance.

One thing you might look at is maybe you are taking the club back to far (past parallel). This will cause you to loose your spine angle and sway off the ball.

I love this thread as my misses with the driver are high on the face. Great tips in here for the fix! My pro is having me shorten my back swing (getting older = less flexibility) for better balance and control along with the spine tilt, ball position, and good tempo with slow back swing and then release though the impact zone.

Hitting high on driver face

Dude. I love it! I've been hitting it high off the face lately and this totally helped. I've been so concerned with falling backwards that Ive actually found myself leaning toward the target.

BTW - this was the first thing that came up when I googled my issue.
8ce4a2a0f9d265f242343b42ac1d5219.png

Back