The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family trip. No golf this weekend but a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

How do you like the Zen Golf book JM? I've heard the author a few times on the radio but haven't read the book.

Hour of putting and short game practice this morning prior to a lunch break in the clubhouse. Heading out to range for long club practice in a moment. Will be of mats due to rain. Will probably follow up with more short game work. Need the chipping practice for sure. Leaving far too many chips short, only about 20% are getting past the hole.

Range in the rain today. Played to the 100 and 150 markers. I also practiced what I'll call angle shots, instead of hitting straight ahead, I find myself on the course sometimes aiming to flags that are 45* left or right, which is a different swing than just straight ahead, so I practiced a lot of those. Then I worked on my long and mid irons.

Still fighting laying off during my wrist cock, so need to keep working on keeping the club vertical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got in an hour of range time today before the heavy rain hit. Worked on my short irons and driver today. Very pleased with my session today. Driver is a work in progress but it's getting there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got my new i25 irons out for my first swings at the range today and it went fairly well. I'm dealing with swing path issues right now and really trying to work on not cutting across the ball. But I got in a much better groove the latter half of the session and saw some nice results. Excited to play tomorrow.

Range was soaked (and closed) today. So, I was limited to putting and chipping.

I just tried a lot of different shots from different parts of the practice green. I was really trying to focus on the ball through impact, because I have a tendency to look up early and lift (catching things thin). It was a good over all session, even though conditions were pretty wet.

Got to get to the dome today. Struck the wedges better than I ever have in my life I think, that being said I probably had one of the worst ball striking ranges outside of the wedges I've had in a long time. Just could NOT get anything to work for me. Rhythm and Tempo were no where to be found. I kept catching every fat tried moving things around a bit, but just did not have "it" definitely frustrating, but I'm going to take away the positives with that I was absolutely zeroed in with the wedges!

How do you like the Zen Golf book JM? I've heard the author a few times on the radio but haven't read the book.

Its an easy read Barry. Both of these are really eye opening.

JM

Keep up all the work guys!

I'm taking the day off from swinging a club but have been thinking about what I need to work on on the course. There are several areas that I need to really focus on and those are tee box, wedges and alignment.

I will do some drills tonight focusing on turn and weight transfer in the mirror.

Keep up all the work guys!

I'm taking the day off from swinging a club but have been thinking about what I need to work on on the course. There are several areas that I need to really focus on and those are tee box, wedges and alignment.

I will do some drills tonight focusing on turn and weight transfer in the mirror.

After 120 chip/pitches 20-50yds. Really figured a few things out today. More practice tomorrow. I'm on a mission now!!
qanyryge.jpg

Gross Natedogg! Like that rusty finish though.

Round today was interesting and I learned some things. First of all, I still need to work on the driver, but as I've said - indoors and driver don't mix and the ranges haven't been open. Good news is that last year's smother hook and pull hook are pretty much nonexistent. Bad news is that I'm aiming right (habit from last year's miss) and I'm either hitting a little tiny draw or a push. Distance wasn't too bad for the most part, but I did have some stinkers mixed in. That'll come around.

I just have to trust what I'm working on. It feels extremely foreign not to want to rip my hands at the ball, rather than just smooth it out, lead with the lower body and turn. Stupid thing is that every single time I committed to just being smooth I hit the ball (relatively) perfectly. I'm going to keep working on that. Mostly a mental thing.

Very happy with my wedge game for this early in the season. Very happy. Putting will probably be fine once I get on somewhat normal greens. They are so slow that I just can't hit the ball hard enough it seems. Lots of short putts today.

I am about sick of net work so I decided to head up to the dome for some work. Got a large bucket and just worked up a down the bag. My biggest miss is just leaving the face ole at impact and losing it right. I've gotten much better, but it still happens from time to time.

I'm like you Hawk,haven't been able to hit driver much this winter, but today, I hit all 5 balls dead straight with it , so back in the bag it went.

I seem to be hitting the middle of the face on the irons, there was some weird residue on the balls that was leaving impact marks, great feedback but somewhat gross. Haha.

So, lesson time tomorrow, my pro is extremely happy with my progress but I know there are gonna be some things to correct, he's very good about saying, hey that looks good, but you can do x, y and z better. So the celebration will be short lived. More range time after the lesson since we got a fresh 3 inches of snow tonight.

Sounds like my teacher dude. He pushes me and sometimes it's hard!

Sounds like my teacher dude. He pushes me and sometimes it's hard!

Lol I like it though. Never let's you get comfortable.

Lol I like it though. Never let's you get comfortable.

Exactly and I've been better off for it. With the hips, I really thought I had it nailed down and instead he worked me twice as hard on it to nail down that last little bit that has really made the difference.

Exactly and I've been better off for it. With the hips, I really thought I had it nailed down and instead he worked me twice as hard on it to nail down that last little bit that has really made the difference.

I have a feeling there are gonna be some tweaks to mine too. I still try to lead with the hands sometime and that leads to OTT. It's much better, and when face is between path and target line, it's very playable, but when face is left open, hello distance loss losing it right. So that needs to be addressed a bit too

Today was my first practice session after beginning to read the Pelz Short Game Bible. I spent an hour working my way around the practice green hitting various pitch and chip shots using the "finesse swing". I loved what I was seeing as I started getting more comfortable using various clubs instead of just one as I have done for so long. I also did the same thing from 60-100 yds using three clubs instead of just one like I would typically. I was able to hit three types of shots at different trajectories which was fun. Cannot wait to continue reading and see where this book takes me

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I really need to work on getting rid of the hook as my miss. I've officially gone from a slice last year to a hook as a main miss this year, fortunately I know that this hook is coming from me picking the ball as the only time I see it is when I take zero divot.

I got to work on making sure I take a proper divot with every strike, regardless of lie.

Descent range session tonight before a quick 9. After last week I was feeling down about my swing. I think a day off is what I needed to reset a bit. I started off with the 8i and was hitting some really nice shots. Focusing on set up and keeping the weight in the middle of my feet. I found that if I move back a touch from the ball I was able to make a better move into impact. I could feel myself coming OTT more when I was standing closer. My confidence with wedges to 9i is extremely high but begins to decline quickly past the 8i. I talked with one of the assistant Pros at my course and we are gonna set up a lesson for Wednesday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So I had a great lesson today. We started by taking a few front shots of the swing just to see how things looked. He was really happy with the actual hip bump itself and with the takeaway. So there was some praise in that. Now on to improvements.

First thing we did was quiet my lower body on the backswing. I was moving quite a bit backwards during it, almost like winding up for the hip bump itself. I had put so much emphasis on that move that it was over powering a bit. So we stiffened up the right leg and it really didn't take to long to correct that.

Next thing we corrected was stance, we moved the ball up to under my left eye in my iron stance, it seems noticeably forward, but this ball position is going to allow more time for the club face to square up.

Moving on, next we worked on keeping the club face closed and controlling it through the swing, I've had a tendency to really lose control of it and consistency in ball striking has suffered because of it. It was better near the end of the session, but i need to continue to practice. He gave me this drill where you take a half swing, stop the swing about a foot before the ball, examine face, then finish the swing from the stopped point. The goal is really to feel the ball compress off the face. You lay a den caddy down about 4 foot in front of the ball and the goal is to bounce it in the caddy.

The last thing we worked on is fix the sequencing of the swing. We figured out that what was throwing everything off was the hip bump was actually happening as the downswing was happening, and it should actually be happening just before the down swing begins. So to fix that, he had me take the club back to the top of the backswing, and as the hip bump started, he just wanted me to let the head of the club fall downwards, not a lot, but it gave me just enough time to bump and then uncoil. What it also did was slot my hands perfectly for a right club path. Just to give you an idea of how much it changed my swing. I was swinging anywhere from -6 to -9 degrees (left = negative). After that little move, my path was a 0.7-2.3 (right = positive). I was blown away. I actually hit a functional draw for probably the first time in my life. My pro was ecstatic, and I so was I.

Today was a huge day. These will be the last swing changes that are made for this year. It's going to take some practice, but I feel so much better now. Ball striking is better than it has ever been.

What I really need to focus on is managing face angle and remembering that move where the club gets slotted on my downswing, allowing the hip bump to occur before the downswing is started.

Time. To. Do. Some. Work.

Sorry for the long windedness. Just really felt like I took a giant step forward today!

So I had a great lesson today. We started by taking a few front shots of the swing just to see how things looked. He was really happy with the actual hip bump itself and with the takeaway. So there was some praise in that. Now on to improvements.

First thing we did was quiet my lower body on the backswing. I was moving quite a bit backwards during it, almost like winding up for the hip bump itself. I had put so much emphasis on that move that it was over powering a bit. So we stiffened up the right leg and it really didn't take to long to correct that.

Next thing we corrected was stance, we moved the ball up to under my left eye in my iron stance, it seems noticeably forward, but this ball position is going to allow more time for the club face to square up.

Moving on, next we worked on keeping the club face closed and controlling it through the swing, I've had a tendency to really lose control of it and consistency in ball striking has suffered because of it. It was better near the end of the session, but i need to continue to practice. He gave me this drill where you take a half swing, stop the swing about a foot before the ball, examine face, then finish the swing from the stopped point. The goal is really to feel the ball compress off the face. You lay a den caddy down about 4 foot in front of the ball and the goal is to bounce it in the caddy.

The last thing we worked on is fix the sequencing of the swing. We figured out that what was throwing everything off was the hip bump was actually happening as the downswing was happening, and it should actually be happening just before the down swing begins. So to fix that, he had me take the club back to the top of the backswing, and as the hip bump started, he just wanted me to let the head of the club fall downwards, not a lot, but it gave me just enough time to bump and then uncoil. What it also did was slot my hands perfectly for a right club path. Just to give you an idea of how much it changed my swing. I was swinging anywhere from -6 to -9 degrees (left = negative). After that little move, my path was a 0.7-2.3 (right = positive). I was blown away. I actually hit a functional draw for probably the first time in my life. My pro was ecstatic, and I so was I.

Today was a huge day. These will be the last swing changes that are made for this year. It's going to take some practice, but I feel so much better now. Ball striking is better than it has ever been.

What I really need to focus on is managing face angle and remembering that move where the club gets slotted on my downswing, allowing the hip bump to occur before the downswing is started.

Time. To. Do. Some. Work.

Sorry for the long windedness. Just really felt like I took a giant step forward today!

Brad that is amazing to hear. I wish my lessons were this productive. Tomorrow will be the tell tale whether I breakdown and find a new instructor.

Brad that is amazing to hear. I wish my lessons were this productive. Tomorrow will be the tell tale whether I breakdown and find a new instructor.

I've really found a great one. I'm proud to call him my friend. Hope it works out for you dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back