Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have the Directv whole home Genie system? Thinking of upgrading our old DVRs, but wanted to hear from someone that may have it before I pull the trigger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Anybody have the Directv whole home Genie system? Thinking of upgrading our old DVRs, but wanted to hear from someone that may have it before I pull the trigger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Genie makes me wonder how I ever watched TV in the past. It's a wonderful invention.

The Lenovo is going back. I am lucky if I get 1 1/2 hours unplugged with this battery. I called them and they did a bunch of tests and said it's running correctly. That's crap! What happened to getting 8 hours? 90 minutes is unacceptable. I also hate the mouse and keyboard on this thing. I want to like it because it has just about all the specs I was looking for, and I love how lightweight it is, but the battery life just won't work for me. Plus, the bottom gets so hot I have to put a pillow between my legs and the computer or I am afraid to get burned.

The Lenovo is going back. I am lucky if I get 1 1/2 hours unplugged with this battery. I called them and they did a bunch of tests and said it's running correctly. That's crap! What happened to getting 8 hours? 90 minutes is unacceptable. I also hate the mouse and keyboard on this thing. I want to like it because it has just about all the specs I was looking for, and I love how lightweight it is, but the battery life just won't work for me. Plus, the bottom gets so hot I have to put a pillow between my legs and the computer or I am afraid to get burned.

Yeah, thats really weird. I know the touch screen's definitely get a shorter battery life but that is absurd.

Yeah, thats really weird. I know the touch screen's definitely get a shorter battery life but that is absurd.

I don't understand how it can only get 1 1/2 hours, it's just crazy. I really wanted to like this computer, I was trying to hard to like it, but I can't get used to that battery life. I just hate that I am back on the hunt for a computer and will have to transfer everything to a new one yet again. :banghead:

I am looking at just building an HP at Costco since they have such an awesome return policy and warranty.

I don't understand how it can only get 1 1/2 hours, it's just crazy. I really wanted to like this computer, I was trying to hard to like it, but I can't get used to that battery life. I just hate that I am back on the hunt for a computer and will have to transfer everything to a new one yet again. :banghead:

I am looking at just building an HP at Costco since they have such an awesome return policy and warranty.

Any reason you dont want a Dell? Just curious

That's battery life is crazy - a laptop is barely useful as a laptop if you're only getting 80 minutes. Costco is one of my favorite places to buy electronics from. We had an issue with our TV shortly after we got it, and we were in and out with a new one in about 30 minutes.

Any reason you dont want a Dell? Just curious

I didn't think they were great computers. I had a Dell all-in-one computer for a while and didn't love it. Had all the specs, but still ran slow. This was a few years ago though, and I know one of the Dell laptops gets amazing reviews, I just don't remember which one. Do you have a recommendation?

I was looking at HP simply because that's what Costco carries more than any other brand and you can build an HP to your specs through them, and I liked my old HP. I am not apposed to other brands thought, I have had a Toshiba before, even a Gateway (now that was a piece of junk).

I didn't think they were great computers. I had a Dell all-in-one computer for a while and didn't love it. Had all the specs, but still ran slow. This was a few years ago though, and I know one of the Dell laptops gets amazing reviews, I just don't remember which one. Do you have a recommendation?

I was looking at HP simply because that's what Costco carries more than any other brand and you can build an HP to your specs through them, and I liked my old HP. I am not apposed to other brands thought, I have had a Toshiba before, even a Gateway (now that was a piece of junk).

Not trying to steer you one way or the other. We solely use Dell PC's and laptops here at work. We tend to order the higher end / more expensive stuff so I cant really speak to their consumer stuff but maybe just go on their site and mess around with specs and see if you can find something you like.

Sounds like a lemon, that's odd that you only get 1.5 hours of battery life. Mine gets about 9 hours of battery life, but it doesnt have a touch screen.

The place I work at now and the last place I worked at both use Lenovo computers. Though not laptops, my experience with them is enough to get me to never buy a Lenovo.

Sounds like a lemon, that's odd that you only get 1.5 hours of battery life. Mine gets about 9 hours of battery life, but it doesnt have a touch screen.

Yeah, the touch screen definitely eats battery life like crazy but it shouldnt be that bad.

Yeah, the touch screen definitely eats battery life like crazy but it shouldnt be that bad.

Without question. Mine is rated at 8 hours. I get a little less than 3. GG's is rated at 6-8 hours. She gets about 90 minutes. Program says its running correctly.

Without question. Mine is rated at 8 hours. I get a little less than 3. GG's is rated at 6-8 hours. She gets about 90 minutes. Program says its running correctly.

And the company says thats normal? That is absurd.

Josh has a touchscreen and he gets about 3 hours of battery life unplugged, so I know it's not the touchscreen, it's definitely this computer. It's possible I just got a bad one, and I could try and exchange for a new one, but I still hate the keyboard and mouse, that won't change. So for $100 more I can build the computer I want, the only issue is that it will take almost 3 weeks to get here.

Do you guys know if a hybrid harddrive is like having a SSD? I can get a 1TB hybrid hard drive, and right now I think the Lenovo has a 1 TB hard drive and 16GB SSD. I do like how quickly it starts up, and would love to have that in the new computer.

Features I am eliminating are tough screen and back-lit keyboard, I don't care about those things.

The place I work at now and the last place I worked at both use Lenovo computers. Though not laptops, my experience with them is enough to get me to never buy a Lenovo.

This is my first experience with one.

And the company says thats normal? That is absurd.

They don't say it's normal, they are saying the program they ran to test the battery function says it's working normally. It I want to look into it further I have to send them my computer, which isn't going to happen.

Josh has a touchscreen and he gets about 3 hours of battery life unplugged, so I know it's not the touchscreen, it's definitely this computer. It's possible I just got a bad one, and I could try and exchange for a new one, but I still hate the keyboard and mouse, that won't change. So for $100 more I can build the computer I want, the only issue is that it will take almost 3 weeks to get here.

Nothing wrong with touch screens, just that they use alot more battery life than non-touch screens. But like I said, 90 minutes is no bueno. You probably did just get a lemon but if you have the opportunity (which it sounds like you do) to get rid of it for something you will like better, then by all means you should do that.

They don't say it's normal, they are saying the program they ran to test the battery function says it's working normally. It I want to look into it further I have to send them my computer, which isn't going to happen.

I love how companies do that. You JUST bought the computer but hey why dont you send it to us for a week or 2 so we can figure out why it doesnt work properly. How about you just give me a new one that isnt a POS?

Don't know what type you're looking at. They do have external SSD drives I think, but they are pretty expensive I think.

Interesting... My experience, with Lenovo @ current workplace, and prior workplace, is what has me trying a Lenovo @ home, now. Fingers-crossed that I don't come away with a different experience.

I love how companies do that. You JUST bought the computer but hey why dont you send it to us for a week or 2 so we can figure out why it doesnt work properly. How about you just give me a new one that isnt a POS?

I know! I could exchange this for a new one, and maybe I should try that first, and just leave my stuff off it until I test the battery, but it doesn't change the fact that I hate the mouse and keyboard too.

Don't know what type you're looking at. They do have external SSD drives I think, but they are pretty expensive I think.

I wonder if I can buy one and have best buy install it? I don't know the cost for that though.

Does anyone know if the hybrid drive will do what a SSD will do. I believe that's what it's made for right?

Beats by Dre Powerbeats.

I want something small, that sits in the ears well for long periods of time. I want to use them at the range and all of that good stuff.

Any thoughts? I see some killer deals for refurbished ones.

Does anyone know if the hybrid drive will do what a SSD will do. I believe that's what it's made for right?

I have been out of the hardware loop for quite a while now since I last built my home PC, but my limited understanding of a hybrid drive is that it is a conventional hard drive with a small amount of solid state memory to try and close the gap in performance between a conventional hard drive (available storage) and an SSD (speed)

How important is access time to you? I am assuming you want to be able to access all of your work/documents/etc whilst on the road?

If so, have you considered a 'home' network that you can access remotely - I understand this could be limited by internet access/speed whilst on the road, but could be another option which also gives you the freedom to expand the storage requirements of the server without needing to upgrade laptops and everything will (or should if set up correctly) be backed up so no need to worry about a laptop dying in the field and losing everything

Edit - apologies, that doesn't help your laptop suggestions, but if you can keep as little as possible on the laptop then the spec becomes slightly less important to me unless you are needing processor intensive applications

I have been out of the hardware loop for quite a while now since I last built my home PC, but my limited understanding of a hybrid drive is that it is a conventional hard drive with a small amount of solid state memory to try and close the gap in performance between a conventional hard drive (available storage) and an SSD (speed)

How important is access time to you? I am assuming you want to be able to access all of your work/documents/etc whilst on the road?

If so, have you considered a 'home' network that you can access remotely - I understand this could be limited by internet access/speed whilst on the road, but could be another option which also gives you the freedom to expand the storage requirements of the server without needing to upgrade laptops and everything will (or should if set up correctly) be backed up so no need to worry about a laptop dying in the field and losing everything

I just want it for a quick start up time. My old computer took like 5 minutes to start up after a restart, this new one takes 5 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back