"A groove low" as in "It sounded like he caught that one a groove low."

What do you call it?

I think too many people call a high pitch or higher chip a flop shot. I think it gets used to often to refer to any short shot that has loft.

Lol you used to say I'd hit a butter cut before I fixed my swing...then it would fall 10 or 15 yards short of target, cause it wasnt anywhere near intentional hahaha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

At least it looked awesome haha! I will always respect a man who can fade a PW...because I think it's impossible.

I call it "choking up" since it relates to making the club shorter. Just like a bat You choked off some of its legnth so therfore you choked up the shaft meaning we cut part of it off. But thats just me.

How about "piercing the wind" ?
The ball is not all a sudden an arrow nor did it developed a point.

But you are choking down in the grip, down toward the head of the club.

"A groove low" as in "It sounded like he caught that one a groove low."
I do that one a lot. Good thing the Apex irons don't mind it too much.

I think too many people call a high pitch or higher chip a flop shot. I think it gets used to often to refer to any short shot that has loft.

I agree. A flop is a pre-determined shot that requires specific setup and conditions with a result unlike 90% of 'around the green' shots.

Unless you hold the club out in front of you with the head pointing toward the sky. Then you'd be choking up.

I say choking down in golf because like many, choking up is in baseball.

I know what a "duck hook" is, but where did that come from?

One assumes a Duck likely sacrificed it's life for this one to come to fruition ?

From so many years of baseball I agree with Freddie, the choke down vs choke up...

And have to agree with ATL...ButterCut? I dont get that? even after your explanation Freddie.

"all I need is a dimple and a groove" .... when someone hits one about knee high and it somehow ends up OK

"Sissy fade" is a term used quite a bit by my friends and myself.

It simply refers to hitting a little fade with a driver that basically doesn't go anywhere (usually about 20-30 yards shorter than an average drive for that person). A common saying with us is something like "If you'd stop hitting that sissy fade, you'd be up here with the rest of us"

"Sissy fade" is a term used quite a bit by my friends and myself.

It simply refers to hitting a little fade with a driver that basically doesn't go anywhere (usually about 20-30 yards shorter than an average drive for that person). A common saying with us is something like "If you'd stop hitting that sissy fade, you'd be up here with the rest of us"

Funny stuff. I coined that the 'weiner fade'.

An "Elephants Ass" a Drive that is "High and Sh_tty"

Same, I always say choke down when golfing and when I played baseball it was choke up

A buddy of mine refers to a Dead Yank as a Thurmon Munson.

Def. is my baseball background but I look at it as choking up to get closer to the club head. TOMATO TOMÄTO

My dads favorite is the "Bank Teller shot" - Short, fat, and ugly.
He's a banker.

Def. is my baseball background but I look at it as choking up to get closer to the club head. TOMATO TOMÄTO

Many are thinking of it in terms of direction. But technically a bat is also swung below the equator (even below the knees at times) and back up again just not as low as a golf club. Like "troyefl" I also view it as moving up towards the head or towards the barrel of a bat in the same manor and not to mean physical direction.

But then again we are all a bit crazy backwards at times with terminology :banghead:

I've never actually seen anyone throw "up". It actually should be called "throw down"
Plumbing pipes are referred to being "clogged up" but they are actually "clogged down"
A "change up" is a slower pitch which should be called a "change down"
When one "wakes up" are they standing? It should be called "wake down"
How can one technically "sit up" when they are actually down?-For that matter, how can one actually "stand down"
Never seen anyone "take" a poop. Should be called "leave one"
And then we are dumb enough to actaully "drive" on "parkways" and then "park" on "driveways" so i dont know whats right anymore. :act-up:

Here is what irks me:

By definition, you can have a chip and run. You cannot have a pitch and run. A pitch shot is not intended to run, otherwise it is a chip.

Last edited:
Another one is fairway wood vs. fairway metal. I never hear anybody call it a fairway metal except for one or two particular announcers (I think McCord).

And....Johnny Miller.........

So in this great game of ours that is played in many different regions and places. There are terms used that some may find foreign.

For instance 'choking down' vs 'choking up'. I've always used the term choking down in golf and choking up in baseball. Which is it?

Are there other terms you hear that make you scratch your head?

Always been "choking down" where I come from.

Never liked the terms choke up or choke down. Prefer the term grip down. Choke up is something I do when I lose a new golf ball, and the term "choke" makes me want to have a death grip on the club.

Someone mentioned "peninsulating", but wouldn't that be an action verb and if so how does one do that?

Well I'm head out to hit some trap draw, fall off the table, butter cut, groove low shots off my hot face.

Back