The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome Brad! So good to have productivity and feel/see it as well. You are working hard and it will pay off bro

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Boom B-rad. That's awesome dude. I swear we have the same teacher some times.

Hit balls with the boy and the wedges at the pitch and putt. Wedges were pretty good. Mats were those hard things and I got annoyed quickly with that.

Tonight I spent time with the Impact Ball and it really helped me feel that connected downswing. For as annoying as it it, that thing really works wonders. Hit the ball pretty nicely after some dry swings and 1/2'rs. Took a little video, and while I'm not as long as I was, I'm still longer than I want to be. Continuing work in progress there.

Finished it all up with some Ab-domination in the basement. Bahhh.

So I had a great lesson today. We started by taking a few front shots of the swing just to see how things looked. He was really happy with the actual hip bump itself and with the takeaway. So there was some praise in that. Now on to improvements.

First thing we did was quiet my lower body on the backswing. I was moving quite a bit backwards during it, almost like winding up for the hip bump itself. I had put so much emphasis on that move that it was over powering a bit. So we stiffened up the right leg and it really didn't take to long to correct that.

Next thing we corrected was stance, we moved the ball up to under my left eye in my iron stance, it seems noticeably forward, but this ball position is going to allow more time for the club face to square up.

Moving on, next we worked on keeping the club face closed and controlling it through the swing, I've had a tendency to really lose control of it and consistency in ball striking has suffered because of it. It was better near the end of the session, but i need to continue to practice. He gave me this drill where you take a half swing, stop the swing about a foot before the ball, examine face, then finish the swing from the stopped point. The goal is really to feel the ball compress off the face. You lay a den caddy down about 4 foot in front of the ball and the goal is to bounce it in the caddy.

The last thing we worked on is fix the sequencing of the swing. We figured out that what was throwing everything off was the hip bump was actually happening as the downswing was happening, and it should actually be happening just before the down swing begins. So to fix that, he had me take the club back to the top of the backswing, and as the hip bump started, he just wanted me to let the head of the club fall downwards, not a lot, but it gave me just enough time to bump and then uncoil. What it also did was slot my hands perfectly for a right club path. Just to give you an idea of how much it changed my swing. I was swinging anywhere from -6 to -9 degrees (left = negative). After that little move, my path was a 0.7-2.3 (right = positive). I was blown away. I actually hit a functional draw for probably the first time in my life. My pro was ecstatic, and I so was I.

Today was a huge day. These will be the last swing changes that are made for this year. It's going to take some practice, but I feel so much better now. Ball striking is better than it has ever been.

What I really need to focus on is managing face angle and remembering that move where the club gets slotted on my downswing, allowing the hip bump to occur before the downswing is started.

Time. To. Do. Some. Work.

Sorry for the long windedness. Just really felt like I took a giant step forward today!

This is great to hear! Carfangia was able to get me swinging to the right for the first time and I couldn't believe it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hit balls with the boy and the wedges at the pitch and putt. Wedges were pretty good. Mats were those hard things and I got annoyed quickly with that.

Tonight I spent time with the Impact Ball and it really helped me feel that connected downswing. For as annoying as it it, that thing really works wonders. Hit the ball pretty nicely after some dry swings and 1/2'rs. Took a little video, and while I'm not as long as I was, I'm still longer than I want to be. Continuing work in progress there.

Finished it all up with some Ab-domination in the basement. Bahhh.

Forgot to mention you fought off paparazzi

LEsson #4 setup for tomorrow.

I text the pro to confirm and now he is saying he may have to cancel as the course opens up tomorrow and he has no one else to cover in the evening.

Would make for 3 cancellations in a row, 1 was weather related but not the other 2.

Im getting impatient as the weather window says its tomorrow or next week basically

If I had a pro cancel as many times as this guy, I'd be finding a new pro.

Was just about to say the same thing.

That is laaaaaaame.

LEsson #4 setup for tomorrow.

I text the pro to confirm and now he is saying he may have to cancel as the course opens up tomorrow and he has no one else to cover in the evening.

Would make for 3 cancellations in a row, 1 was weather related but not the other 2.

Im getting impatient as the weather window says its tomorrow or next week basically

Mike, do i remember correctly that you paid in advance? If so, what are the cha ces of getting your $ back?

yeah< i'll give him 1 more shot, the first time he was "sick" and it was the day before I left for HH so maybe he did the right thing

Mike, do i remember correctly that you paid in advance? If so, what are the cha ces of getting your $ back?

I only paid for 6 of the 12 in advance, so Im sure I could ride it out or approach him for a refund if I decide to make a change.

Just sucks cause of the freaking weather man, planning these is just darn near impossible

441 its time for a refund. This guy seems very disorganized.

Mike it should not be that hard. Perhaps a new thread on the subject and get others' opinions.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Im going to spend this week continuing what I have been working on. Two things.
My take away and my short game. I think I am heading in the right direction.

Great seeing you back in action JB.

I'm working on my adrenaline control this weekend...good excuse to ride roller coasters.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Only being able to get to the range for half hour a day during lunch makes it a little challenging when working on stuff from lessons. Started off not so well today. My takeaway was better like Saturday, but I was ending up pretty laid off at the top. Had just enough time to get it decently corrected by the end though, then I had to leave. I guess I was at least able to get it worked out.

I've been knocking the rust off my swing after putting down the clubs and trying to catch trophy largemouth for the last few months, and come to the following conclusions:

1. The keys to me striking the ball well are: quiet lower body, straight back, and don't over swing. If I visualize a Zach Johnson type of swing and remember those three keys, good things happen.

2. I can over-practice. If I practice too much, I get too loose and stop concentrating on fundamentals and maintaining my keys to a good swing. I switch it up by putting a lot more and by working out on off days. This is hard for me to do because hitting a golf ball is addictive to me.

3. I am at the point now where I can set up and know if I will hit it well or not. Sometimes, I address the ball and can tell right away that things are not going to go well when I swing the club. Resetting in this situation is key. Don't "hope it turns out okay".

4. Straighter is better than farther.

Also, all the chipping and pitching last summer behind my house paid off. I picked up my 56 and 60 degree wedges and was hitting great little chips and pitches onto the tee box. My game inside 45 yards is getting pretty solid. Most strokes I lose are getting there. 160 yards out is my week point. Driver is getting a lot better but my 5 and 6 irons are a mess. 3 and 4 hybrids are getting okay. 7-AW are good as long as I remember my swing keys and get a good line.

Lesson tonight. No expectations going in this time, which is sort of unusual for me. We worked on following through up rather than out last time, which was sort of less a drill thing and more of a just keep checking yourself and trying thing, which I have done. Think I made some progress, but as always the video will tell the story. I think I've made good headway in the last two weeks, so hopefully he has something good to say. The thing with him is that he doesn't mince words. If not, he'll let me know.

Lesson tonight. No expectations going in this time, which is sort of unusual for me. We worked on following through up rather than out last time, which was sort of less a drill thing and more of a just keep checking yourself and trying thing, which I have done. Think I made some progress, but as always the video will tell the story. I think I've made good headway in the last two weeks, so hopefully he has something good to say. The thing with him is that he doesn't mince words. If not, he'll let me know.

Ur lessons indoors or is it thawed enough to take it outside?

Ur lessons indoors or is it thawed enough to take it outside?

Nope, they're indoors. I'm cool with that though. Never really has bothered me. His whole high tech setup is there.

Nope, they're indoors. I'm cool with that though. Never really has bothered me. His whole high tech setup is there.

solid! I just HATE mats, always with the exception of HH hit the ball well off of them

Off the grass, not as awesome

It depends for me. If I can hit on a mat with some give I'm ok, but the really hard ones just kill me, both physically and mentally. So far I've had zero issues going back and forth between grass/mats.

solid! I just HATE mats, always with the exception of HH hit the ball well off of them

Off the grass, not as awesome

It depends for me. If I can hit on a mat with some give I'm ok, but the really hard ones just kill me, both physically and mentally. So far I've had zero issues going back and forth between grass/mats.

Mats can really mask those fat shots sometimes. It can give you a bit of a false positive on a shot. I have gotten better at feeling those bad ones (there is usually a distinct sound), but it really caused me trouble at the beginning of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back