Range finders- Laser vs. GPS. Which do you use and why?

I like both in one device. The Bushnell Hybrid is one of the best things I have bought to date.

This intrigues me. I like the idea in both in one unit but am concerned that the having both mean it does each function less well than a dedicated unit. Any issues there?

This intrigues me. I like the idea in both in one unit but am concerned that the having both mean it does each function less well than a dedicated unit. Any issues there?

Not at all. It is a very good design and best of both worlds IMO.

Both is the correct-est answer

Not at all. It is a very good design and best of both worlds IMO.

Its a great unit and the THP review is on the home page.

I use a Garmin S3 watch and a Bushnell Tour Z6 with jolt. I love having both, and use them both for every round. I think I actually prefer the laser, but as smalls alluded to, if you can't see it, you can't shoot it.

I really like my GolfBuddy World GPS. It has a green view that allows me to move the pin to any spot on the green and I can usually get it within 1 or 2 yards when compared to other guys' rangefinders. The only thing I would use a rangefinder for is practice, if I had one.

I use both. I like to look at the GPS and get some nice basic numbers, you know to hazards and stuff like that. Really like the rangefinder on par 3's and approach shots.
Couldn't have said it better, I still use my GPS from time to time for the basic stuff, front/middle/back, but I love using my laser for exact yardages on flags and it's way easier for layup numbers than the GPS. And the Bushnell laser rangefinders are top notch.

I use a Leupold GX-1 and the Skydroid app on my phone, so both is my answer too.

For a few years I have used only my GPS but I picked up a kick butt range finder and used it for the first time yesterday. I have to say that I like both for different reasons. The laser worked great and was real quick at obtaining yardages but with an elevated green where I cant see the back I like to have the front, back, middle visual of my GPS. Truthfully I will probably have both on me from now on and depending on the hole will change which one I look to for help.

I have the Bushnell Hybrid which incorporates both technologies.

I have the Bushnell Hybrid which incorporates both technologies.

When they advance that to have the same display as most GPS devices, which I'm sure is coming, I'll be all over a hybrid like that. Now having both I wish they would just add a 3-4" lcd screen to my laser and give me everything in one.

I like the app on my phone. It is pretty accurate, gives me front, middle, back, and some hazards. It has all the courses I play, keeps scores and any stats I want. I played with someone who had a lazer, my phone was either exactly the same, or within 2-4yds...which is way more accurate than my irons will ever be. Plus it cost like $4.99 vs $369.00

To the guys who use phone apps, are there any issues with battery drain?

Get a ZeroLemon and you don't ever worry about battery drain!

I dunno what this is, but I will find out in a second. My phone battery life blows

i've got the Golfshot app but hate to be w/o the rangefinder. Laser let me know how far i actually hit my irons instead of how far i thought i hit them..plus at range practice sessions u can shoot targets for distance. If i could only chose one, i'd pick the laser for the practice aspect alone.

I know so many keep saying that it does not drain their battery, but I have tested it with iPhone and Android and on multiple phones and it always kills the battery. iPhone worse than my Note 3, but to be fair, it has a larger battery.

You can get an external battery, or if you ride, the device Jman reviewed called the Gimme Charge.

GPS. No pointing/aiming. Just a quick look and it gives me all the info I need.

I use the GPS app on my phone for basic overviews and hazards and my Bushnell V2 for approach shots and par 3's

Bushnell v3. If the course has GPS or I'm unfamiliar with it I will use golf logix app for a general overview. The v3 is good for scoring clubs and to double check if a hazard is in play. If I could only use one is take the V3 every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, I like my laser for simplicity, don't have to download the course or anything like that. Just point and shoot, and it works on range flags as well. Drawback is that you have to be able to see the target, and sometimes without prisms on the flags it can be hard to range.

I like using my Bushnell on the course. I have noticed quite a bit of battery drain when using my phone apps. I will probably use a combination of both in Florida, as I won't have any familiarity with the courses.

I use a gps watch, but have been pondering adding a laser rangefinder to use in conjunction with it.

I use a GPS simply for convenience. I use the Bushnell Neo + which basically gives me a yardage to the front, centre and rear of the green or selected hazards/ fairway edges. Nothing pictorial. I just wanted something I can take out of my pocket or the little net thing on my push cart, get a yardage and fire away. A rangefinder was too much bother for me.

I've used the tour caddie app a few times when I've forgotten to charge my Bushnell. I use it on an iPhone 4S and have never come close to running out of battery. I wanna say I use about 40% playing 18.

Back