Who's ya favorite Male Soul Singer?

I am Elvis :guitar:. Were you not at the I - Bar in West Palm Beach ? :D

For some reason my memory gets foggy in the evenings. Ha! I do remember that silky smooth voice!

Definitely they were more than the sum of their parts. But don't sleep on David Ruffin! Check out "I Wish It Would Rain." oh damn. That song has held me warm on a few sad days.

THIS!!! I'll back this up all day and night. David Ruffin is my all time #1. Temps were never as good as the early days. I Know ( I'm Losing You) is as good as it gets. Amazing.

Coming in #2 is little Michael. Jackson 5 was some serious soul groove that he never went back to as an adult.

Current list includes John Legend, Amos Lee, and...yes... Cee-Lo Green

Otis Redding, Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendegrass, James Brown....there are some good tunes from many!

Glad someone finally mentioned Al Green. Him, Marvin and Otis for me. Ruffin is a great mention too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, and Marvin Gaye are some of my favorites. I don't listen to soul a lot, but there is some great, great soul music out there.

Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned - it just popped up on my very random playlist:

Solomon Burke. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love. (Made famous-ier by the Blues Brothers)

I really loved Otis Redding, was at his homecoming show in Macon back in '66 (?) saw him, Sam & Dave and Percy Sledge in that one night. Awesome! Another Macon, Georgia singer who fits the bill as one of my all time favorite soul singers is Gregg Allman of the Allman Brother Band, saw them many times back in the day. Jimmy Hall with Wet Willie was pretty awesome too, lots of blue eyed soul there.

Teddy Pendergrass of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Fats Domino & Jackie Wilson were also some favorites. I played drums in a little group myself OG, maybe we could get up an old coots band.

rockhard.gif

Last edited:
Anthony Hamilton is probably my favorite modern soul singer. As far as old school singers, either Al Green or the Righteous Brothers.

Man there are so many great ones but my top would be Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross.

Ray Charles?

This thread brings back some old but fond memories of my college "Frat Boy" days. It was Detroit "Motown" or Memphis "Stax". Personally, I was more of a Stax fan--Booker T and the MGs, Otis Reading and Sam and Dave. Stax was more natural music, they came to the studio, played, recorded and distributed. While I liked Motown, it was more of a studio production. However, a memory that I will take to the grave, was the opportunity to jam with the Funk Brothers. Oh yea, when you were with your lady, was there anything better than a little Barry White playing in the background.

I don't think he was mentioned but I gotta give a shout to stevie wonder. That man oozed soul.

Back