Tell me something new about your neighbor

Let me tell you something about Ron, AKA lightningbolt44
  • Originally from Buffalo NY
  • Birthday is on the 4th of July
  • I am an Only Child
  • Have been playing golf since I was 7-8 years old
  • Main sport other than golf is hockey
  • Enjoy gaming in my free time not so much for the games but to connect with friends back home while playing
  • Wife and I moved to North Carolina two years ago from Binghamton NY with no jobs,friends or family in the area leaving behind a house in NY that we owned and our families and friends . Everything worked out as we both have great jobs and have made some great friends in the area .

We've all come to know and love this guy. If you've had the pleasure of meeting him at an event you know his passion for Golf, THP, and Friends. He's been there to help fix a swing, enjoy a beverage, and a laugh. He was there to mentor a Youngbuck by just by being Freddie Kong!

Here's a little something most of wouldn't know.

- I'm from Milwaukee, WI
- Japanese/Jamaican heritage
- Played soccer since he could walk
- Golf was never a priority til college. Where he played for Simpson college.
- Taught Tiger's first clinic in Miami
- Once took $10 off Tim Herron in golf match (Lumpy got played)
- Big time foodie, (his Gumbo is hitting) lover of wine and loves photography
- His kids are his greatest achievement. (Love to see his videos and vines of him with the family, just awesome!). I still remember the video of his selection to the 2013 Morgan Cup! It was memorable and awesome!

Thanks Bro!

Tell me something new about your neighbor

It's pure coincidence that my neighbor made the post directly above. So let me tell you a little about T2GRN18 otherwise known as Kevin.

First, we truly are neighbors as we live less than 20 miles from each other in Central Maryland.

He proudly served our country as a member of the United States Navy for 24 years. During his time in the Navy he briefed three Presidents and had frequent encounters with Condoleezza Rice who he came to greatly admire.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing a round with Kevin yet as I'm entering my first full year here on THP, but we are sure to make that happen early this year. I do know this from following the Grandaddy thread, he's a pretty good stick and moves it out there with a booming high draw, which I can't wait to see.

Kevin is carrying on a family tradition in getting his son--YoungBuck--involved in the game. Just as his dad did for him at a young age. He is married to the lovely LeeB

Golf may be Kevin's fourth best sport if you can believe that. Growing up in New Hampshire he became an avid skier and even gave lessons later in Vermont. He also held multiple state swim records at one time. Kevin is an avid Fly Fisherman and enjoys quiet times on the Trout stream.

My neighbor Kevin--Thank you for your service and I can't wait to tee it up with you.

Just freaking love this thread!

JM

This has been a pretty awesome thread to read.

Cool thread!!! I'd love for somebody to pick my brain, (might help with some relations here) I feel I'm misunderstood in a way.

Let me tell y'all about TNTCigarguy. Trevor has only been playing golf for a few years now, but has gotten serious about the game in the past 2 years. Trevor is a newlywed having just gotten married in October of 2013. He is like a lot of us that has an amazing wife that puts up with him. He still lives in California, but is working in North Dakota in the gas & oil industry as an environmental consultant. He also manages the sales team there. He is a Callaway homer and a flat bill cap wearer for LIFE!!! As Trevor's nickname indicates, he is a cigar guy. He not only enjoys a good smoke every now and then, but he collects & ages them as well. He finds that cigars relax him and he always had them with him. His favorite cigar is a Tatuaje. This is something that we have in common. I don't pretend to know a lot about cigars and don't smoke them often, but I do enjoy smoking a Tatuaje when I can get one. Something else that Trevor and I (as well as a lot of us) have in common is that he has a thing for golf shirts. He is bummed that Puma doesn't make a shoe large enough to fit his size 15 foot. He has been known to throw poolside parties as THP events that get a little wild. So, yeah, the rumors about Trevor are true: Big heart, lots of fun and loves the game of golf. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Trevor, but hope to change that soon.

Last edited:
Big heart, lots of fun and loves the game of golf. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Trevor, but hope to change that soon.

True dat. And when you do, you won't forget it.

I reached out to my man brianbigoats, or "big goats" as some of you remember. Brian made a great post in thread about a month ago talking about the forum. He brought up some great points, and while some got a bit defensive, he opened my eyes and kind made me more conscious about how I interact with newer folks on the forum.

Brian has been a member since 2012, but he has recently started being much more active, and he has posted over 500 times this month alone (beating a lot of MC guys, including myself!)

So I reached out to him to learn a bit more about what he does. He's a winemaker for one of the top 5 wineries in the country and lives in the Central Valley of Ca. He is expecting twins in 3 mos! His name is actually Brian + Big Oats, which is a nickname he got in grade school. (I still like big goats :alien:) Beyond golf, Brian likes working on his 1971 Chevy Truck and also takes care of a 150 gallon reef tank in his house!

He is a good guy and I think makes a great addition to the forum. Thanks Brian!

Big Oats is legit! We've got a little THP group that's teeing it up on a regular basis and we're having a good time getting to know each other outside of the forum, which of course just strengthens the forum itself. This thread is a really good idea, since we can't all meet up in person.

I dropped my boy, C-Mac13 a line to get a little more info to share with you guys. Chuck is a good dude. We actually hit it off prior to going to Vegas in September. When we found out we both loved Jeeps, BBQ and golf, it seemed like we were meant for each other :bulgy-eyes: Seriously, though, our wives hit it off in Vegas as well and I'm really looking forward to teeing it up with Chuck again when he comes through my area this summer, if we don't find a reason to hook up even sooner. So here's what I have for you:

Chuck and his wife Alycia have 2 sons who are much older than you'd expect when you meet them, because they don't seem old enough to have kids who are already grown. He is a Facilities Director for Hyatt Hotels and checks the maintenance records of every elevator he ever rides in (personal experience) to make sure things are being done properly. Alycia is a pre-k special needs teacher. Chuck's biggest passion outside of golf is Jeeps and 4-wheeling. He's got a sick CJ and likes to do pretty hard core crawling, but says he also enjoys driving through a national park just as much. He also really enjoys shooting photos and video. The common thread in all of these hobbies is being outdoors and that's obviously what it's all about for him.

Chuck loves to BBQ. He's got a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker and specializes in making his own bacon. This dude LIVES for bacon. If you're friends with him on facebook, you'll get a much better indication of just how much. I almost forgot, but he is seriously into horror movies and loves Halloween and creating elaborate costumes. He's also a big music buff with his favorite artists being Rob Zombie and Pink Floyd.

C-Mac13 does not enjoy moonlit walks on the beach!

For those that have not had the distinct pleasure of meeting this lovely lady. When you finally do you will come away a much better person. I had the pleasure of meeting KellyBo down at the outing last year. We shared many laughs and a few rounds of golf. Don't be fooled by her infectious smile, on the golf course she's one tough customer! In fact she hoisted the winning trophy from that event with BuckJob. Last year was a big year for Kelly, after winning the Event at Reunion with THPers, she went on to score an Ace, and win a couple times in her ladies events. Unfortunately she has been sidelined with a back issue for a while. But, we all know that this was just a way to give Bill a chance to take her to the wood shed.

When I messages KB, and asked to know a little more, here is what she had to offer.

I am the baby girl from a large family of 9 children. I was closer in age to the boys than the girls so I was always out playing sports with them and was quite the tom boy. That has never changed. I had 2 boys who are now in their 30's as well as a stepson who is 21. My oldest son blessed me with a granddaughter last year. I can't wait to introduce her to golf.

I retired at the age of 50 with 30 years of service with the State of GA and started getting serious about golf shortly after retirement. I took lessons for over a year because I was so bad and had a burning desire to improve. Unfortunately I've had to stop for a couple surgeries since then (neck and back) but I'll be back out there again soon! Hopefully this week!

As most of you know, I'm married to Ole Gray who I met late in life. We've been married almost 9 years now. Golf pretty much brought us together and it's great to share the love of the game like we do. He's crazy as they come (in a good way) and I love him. He treats me like a queen every single day and I am blessed for it.

I love animals! I have 1 dog and 5 cats. Poor Ole Gray is allergic to cats too. We didn't plan to have so many but 4 of them were so pitiful that neither of us could turn them away. Thank goodness for allergy medicine. I have since learned to say no. I know I can't save them all although I would love to try.

Thanks Kelly for sharing a little with us, and we all look forward to seeing you at an event in the near future.

Alright y'all, here's the scoop on DufferToo...

I first met Don at the THP Bridgestone Invitational in Vegas last September. It was clear from the beginning that he is a genuinely warm and thoughtful person. Don's pretty soft spoken, but he's pure gold. Because he doesn't talk about himself much, I thought he was a perfect candidate for this thread. I learned a few things that I didn't know about him in the process.

Don said that having parents who came through the Great Depression had a major influence on his own outlook on life. He spent 30 years in the Army, retiring in 2010. He currently works for a county in a position that I cannot divulge, lest I be hunted down and assassinated by drones.

Don and his wonderful wife have a daughter who will begin her Residency this coming June. I know just from seeing his comments in a few posts that Don's daughter means the world to him.

He first "tried" golf in 1994 on what he called a "visit" to Fort Benning. He said he was actually hooked from that moment, but his military career didn't allow him to really pursue the game until 2005. He's been working on his game ever since and has developed an expensive See More habit in the process. The last time I played with him, our post-round parking lot discussion turned into a See More clinic :D

Those of us in Nor-Cal are very fortunate to have Don living in our region. He's always game to meet up with fellow THPers and is so easy going that everyone enjoys playing in his group. I know for a fact that THP is important to Don and from my perspective, this site is better for having him. Cheers to you, Don. See ya Sunday!

Only here at THP would you find a thread that gives you an opportunity to learn something about your "neighbor". Well in this case, CAA_Beat (Rob) is a neighbor, we live relatively close to each other and I'm sure we're going to get the opportunity to play a little golf, make a few runs to the range together or what ever else happens. Rob Joined us here after a while on another site. He's come to enjoy the THP way of doing business, free of bullying and egotistical members. Either way were all happy to have Rob around.

A little about Rob, he and I are hovering around 50 yrs in age. He currently resides outside Howard County Maryland, and
calls his home course Waverly Woods, but enjoys traveling around the MD/VA for opportunities to play golf.

Robs enjoys tournament golf, he takes it seriously, yet still has a good time while competing. Never losing sight of what is important. The majority of his tourney time was through Golfstyles. Unfortunately Rob has been nagged with a few injuries too. A knee replacement is in his future, and once that happens I'm sure well she his game return to form.

Rob is a huge Callaway fan. How this all transpired is quite comical in some ways.
He won a trip to play in the Farmers with TMAG last year. One of the prizes he received while out there was 1k Callaway Shopping spree they had set up in the Hotel. He selected all Xhot equipment. A month later he's out there in Carlsbad, goes up to Rutherford Road and meets Chad and Matt (Haneline) to make some tweaks to his equipment because of limitations from the original order. How ironic is it that he won an event sponsored through TMAG, and returns home a Callaway guy. Crazy!

Rob was scheduled for a knee replacement in January, unfortunately an up scheduled change in employment has sidelined the surgery for a bit, but he's looking forward to having it done and being pain free.

Whats in the Screen Name?
CAA_Beat.... comes from his "part time gig" For the last three years He's covered Towson basketball and the CAA conference for WNST Radio in Baltimore. Which consists of a weekly Towson segment and blog for the site.

I'm certainly glad I reached out to my neighbor, and look forward to getting to spend a little time with Rob now that the weather is headed in the right direction around here.

Only here at THP would you find a thread that gives you an opportunity to learn something about your "neighbor". Well in this case, CAA_Beat (Rob) is a neighbor, we live relatively close to each other and I'm sure we're going to get the opportunity to play a little golf, make a few runs to the range together or what ever else happens. Rob Joined us here after a while on another site. He's come to enjoy the THP way of doing business, free of bullying and egotistical members. Either way were all happy to have Rob around.

A little about Rob, he and I are hovering around 50 yrs in age. He currently resides outside Howard County Maryland, and
calls his home course Waverly Woods, but enjoys traveling around the MD/VA for opportunities to play golf.

Robs enjoys tournament golf, he takes it seriously, yet still has a good time while competing. Never losing sight of what is important. The majority of his tourney time was through Golfstyles. Unfortunately Rob has been nagged with a few injuries too. A knee replacement is in his future, and once that happens I'm sure well she his game return to form.

Rob is a huge Callaway fan. How this all transpired is quite comical in some ways.
He won a trip to play in the Farmers with TMAG last year. One of the prizes he received while out there was 1k Callaway Shopping spree they had set up in the Hotel. He selected all Xhot equipment. A month later he's out there in Carlsbad, goes up to Rutherford Road and meets Chad and Matt (Haneline) to make some tweaks to his equipment because of limitations from the original order. How ironic is it that he won an event sponsored through TMAG, and returns home a Callaway guy. Crazy!

Rob was scheduled for a knee replacement in January, unfortunately an up scheduled change in employment has sidelined the surgery for a bit, but he's looking forward to having it done and being pain free.

CAA_Beat.... comes from his "part time gig" For the last three years He's covered Towson basketball and the CAA conference for WNST Radio in Baltimore. Which consists of a weekly Towson segment and blog for the site.

I'm certainly glad I reached out to my neighbor, and look forward to getting to spend a little time with Rob now that the weather is headed in the right direction around here.

I have talked to Rob about this and I hope he get's it done soon! Nobody needs to hurt like he does and brother, it will get better!

Kevin...thanks for the nice intro. If I ever need an agent, you will be my first call!!

Bill... Yes thanks for all the advice and encouragement. It appears I will have to go through the 2014 season "as is" hopefully it will be manageable and I can address it in the off season again :)

Kevin...thanks for the nice intro. If I ever need an agent, you will be my first call!!

Bill... Yes thanks for all the advice and encouragement. It appears I will have to go through the 2014 season "as is" hopefully it will be manageable and I can address it in the off season again :)

Dude it hurts like hell for the first few weeks but then heaven comes down and all is well.

I have known Rob for a number of years now. We first met when he started a thread in another site. As a result we were able to form a bit of a routine golf group. Unfortunately, as Rob and I were recently discussing, the old group has gone seperate ways because of jobs, child birth and other factors. We hope there may be way for some sort of reunion. Since you have discussed his bio, the only thing I will add is that it is impossible to find a better friend than Rob.

Meet UVAWahoo. They say you can learn a lot about a person by playing a round of golf with him/her. That was never so evident as the first time I played a round of golf with Larry, probably 10 years or so ago by now. By the end of the round, I had completely forgotten how poorly I probably played, and had not laughed so hard in a long time. Larry has and endless supply of quick one liners and good story jokes, which believe it or not aren’t some of the old worn out ones we’ve all heard.

But beyond his great sense of humor, is a truly wonderful Virginia Gentleman, but he will say I used that term very loosely. Larry is a graduate of University of Virginia, as you might have guessed, the year isn’t important J In addition to his education at UVA, Larry perhaps got the best real life education as a member of the US Army for four years leaving it as a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Lt. While in school he earned spending and tuition money by playing the drums in a band and tended bar at a place where the women couldn’t afford to buy tops to their outfits…more education.

Larry has been fortunate enough to play some of the most exclusive golf courses in the US. These opportunities have come about as he has been a committee chairman for several PGA/Web.com/Champions tour events and because his business connections love spending time with him. He is currently an executive in the healthcare industry and is looking forward to a retirement that can’t come soon enough.

Larry is one of the straightest drivers of the golf ball you will ever see. The running joke among those of us who golf with him is trying to remember the last time he missed a fairway. While he isn’t the longest hitter out there, he wields a mean flat stick that makes him very popular in scrambles. Last summer was the first year that we didn’t get a chance to get a round in and I sorely missed it.

Being new to THP, I know UVAWahoo is looking get out and play with many of the other DC/MD/VA members, and they should definitely be looking forward to it as well.

Some great guys. Hope they make thp events some time. I know UV declined but I'm looking forward to meeting the rest in that area soon.

So I reached out to a guy who is my neighbor of sorts and while we chatted a bit here and there at events I didn't know much about him.

You can't miss him at events because he is always in some bright attire and will always be in pants regardless of temps. This guy is PlayDough and I look forward to a round with him one day.

PlayDough "Keygan" or Keygo as he is called by friends is

A good stick on the course

Plays some tournament golf

Has a wealth of knowledge about shafts and characteristics and how they affect ball flight

Likes to tinker with club/shaft building

Something I found interesting is he is loves weather and following fronts, weather patterns and predicting the weather. If there is a storm coming he will have multiple radar stations open on multiple devices watching them until we hours of the morning!

I look forward to seeing you again and learning more about you.

Fun thread! Nice stuff guys.

Some great guys. Hope they make thp events some time. I know UV declined but I'm looking forward to meeting the rest in that area soon.

Believe I would love to be in OC with you, but my personal and occupational commitments would not permit me to make a June commitment. Rum Pointe, your venue, is one of the best around, so I will not only miss the fellowship but a great golfing experience as well. Yes, I know it is my loss and I am extremely disappointed. Opportunities such as the ones you provide contributes to my desire for retirement.

Back