Etiquette question: talking to someone else's ball

I talk to mine and I'll talk to yours, always positive though. I won't be demonstrative about it though.

Using Tapatalk

I do it and don't mind it. But it gets old when people just do it to do it. They talk to everything that gets airborne and that get annoying.

I try not to but it seems to happen more and more as the round goes on. It doesn't bother me if others talk to my ball.

I talk to mine all the time, and I usually talk to my buddy's balls as well. We all do. I don't normally get paired up with anyone, if I head out with my pals it's all in fun. I talk to my ball on nearly every shot if I'm playing a solo round.

I do it and don't mind it. But it gets old when people just do it to do it. They talk to everything that gets airborne and that get annoying.

I agree. I do it and don't mind others doing it but not all the time. A fairway splitting drive doesn't need my help and there's nothing I can do for something sliced or hooked into another zip code. If something looks short or long or near a hazard I'll talk though.

Ettiquete question: talking to the ball

Ettiquete question: talking to the ball

I talk to the ball. I also so talk to everybody else's ball as well. It does not bother me when other people talk to there ball

I talk softly so most people do not even hear me anyway lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't mind someone talking to my ball,but they have all been trained to only listen to me!:laugh:

I agree. I do it and don't mind others doing it but not all the time. A fairway splitting drive doesn't need my help and there's nothing I can do for something sliced or hooked into another zip code. If something looks short or long or near a hazard I'll talk though.
Well of I know you well enough and you slice it into next week, I'll say something like "comeback Shane". If you hit it a little heavy I might say "fly pelican" fairway splinter is "good shot boy" or "shot maker" both in my best Jamaican accent.

Do people get offended by others talking to their ball? I've never heard of anything like that before but I do live in a bubble lol.

Yes. People do.

I guess I never really notice when other people talk to my ball as I'm usually talking to it at the same time. Doesn't bother me either way though.

I do it on occasion to others. Often to my own ball.

I always laugh when I hit a low spinner into the green and someone will be like "woah, sit ball" and then it just takes one hop and stops. The looks on their faces are great.

It doesn't bother me but it's not something I'd do to someone else. I find it could come across as patronizing as it's usually poor shots that need coaxing.
I did do it once when my partner thinned one through the green. I told it to "hit a tree". It duly obliged :)

Providing someone isn't telling my ball to go into the trees, they are more than welcome to talk to my ball. They are wasting their time though. My ball is an ignorant sod! Listens to no-one!!!!

I occasionally talk to mine and will occasionally do it to others.

I don't mind. However, a few weeks ago I hit a perfect low 4 iron into the wind and a guy in my group said "Come on baby, get away with it!" That bugged me for a second.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

I like to have my ball talk to me, when it doesn't, I simply talk for it.

It makes absolutely no difference to me. If people want to talk to inanimate object sobeit. I have enough other things to worry about.

I yell "Bite!" when someone tops a tee short to take the tension off.

I talk to mine and will to others as well. Never seen in any harm to it. There is a guy in our group who whenever he says, 'Good shot' when the ball is in midair, it's the kiss of death. It's turned into a running joke at this point.

I am pretty sure JRM and Blu have been wanting me to weigh in, so here is my take:

"Good shot/nice shot" is fine if it's a good or nice shot. "Lucky break" or something similar is fine when I got lucky. It gets ridiculous when someone says "sit", "bite" and "settle" on every shot of someone else (me!) when it's obvious it's not going to do any of those. That's what I have a problem with. The guy I played with all the time for a couple of years, just started doing it last year and it got old quick. He is the only one who ever said it so much it annoyed me or that I noticed them saying it much.

I say "nice shot" a lot. But please shoot me if I ever tell your ball to bite, settle or sit. You can say whatever you want to your ball whenever you want!

The worst thing is when someone gives a premature Nice Shot when they are standing by the cart and you are on the tee when you know it's going to go into the trees or some other crappy place. At least wait for it to hit the ground! hahaha

I think I talk other people's ball more than I do my own.

No problem with it. I find the most common phrases I blurt out are, "Please hit the tree" when the ball is sailing OB or "Please be playable".

I talk to my ball. I also talk to my clubs. I rarely talk to other peoples balls unless they are a regular playing partner. Some dont like it, some dont care, but it's all about courtesy and to not annoy others while on the course.

Back