Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

Putting off LPGA players may hurt them in getting interviews, and make it harder to get access to some stories. BUT from a sales standpoint...there are WAY, WAY, WAY more male subscribers to GD than there are LPGA players. And that's what it's about.

I'm not surprised since we saw Kate Upton with Arnie in the December 2013 issue. You'd think DJ would be on the cover too but I guess not. Can we call it Golf Maxim going forward? Hehe

I don't like it, but, I'll have to admit I clicked on the item when I saw it in Golf Channel's email. LPGA players are upset, and I think rightly so.

I agree with those that suggest that having Ms. Gretzky on the cover is a not so transparent purely commerical move. I would have perferred an actual LPGA player. That said, I must admit that I am more interested if any LPGA player(s) will be featured in the next ESPN fitness issue.

On a side note reminds me of the Sports Illustrated jinx. Paulina goes on cover for fitness and DJ withdraws from Shell Open...

Instead they chose a "celebrity" and I view it no differently than putting Paris Hilton on the front of NFL.com when she was dating a player. Something that the NFL would never do. Its a weak splash for attention and while I have some great friends that work there, something like this I find "interesting" to say the least.

I could be way off here, but Golf Digest isn't a PGA Tour publication. This really isn't the same thing. It'd be like if a "football related" website or magazine put a celebrity significant other on the cover...a prospect that I think doesn't even stretch the imagination.

my wife (for some random reason) grabbed last months Golf Digest for me (guess she wants me to read more) I wonder if she will be grabbing this months issue for me :laughing:

I would have enjoyed it being an LPGA player who changed their fitness routine from X to Y and picked up yardage from it, and then what exercises she did to do it. That's more interesting to me than just DJ's fiancee.

I can see why they put her on there... it's gotten people talking and three's no such thing as bad press right? On the other hand, I disagree with the choice when there are a few lookers on the LPGA that would have been a MUCH more relevant choice. I know Anya Alvarez seems to be putting up the biggest stink about it on my social media feed (former Big Break and new to the LPGA this year). She has some valid points on the subject.

Its an interesting move.
So many LPGA girls work hard on fitness and this would have been a good spot.
So many fitness people work inside the golf industry and would have been good for this.
So many PGA Tour professionals take fitness seriously and would have been good for this.

Instead they chose a "celebrity" and I view it no differently than putting Paris Hilton on the front of NFL.com when she was dating a player. Something that the NFL would never do. Its a weak splash for attention and while I have some great friends that work there, something like this I find "interesting" to say the least.

This is a great point, JB. However, I don't think you can compare GD to the NFL, as one is just a media production, and the other is the league and governing body of the sport. If the USGA or PGA Tour had a magazine and put Paulina Gretzky on the cover, then that would be a huge problem. Ultimately, GD is in the business of selling advertising and subscriptions, and they think this was the way to do it most effectively.

I'm not a fan of this move. I get the appeal, but with so much to promote within the sport right now I think a better option is out there. The LPGA has their first major going on & think some exposure for them and their players would have been better.

The LPGA is constantly fighting for respect and exposure - not sure this Golf Digest decision is really helping in that department.

When was the last time there was so much buzz about a magazine cover for Golf Digest?

Yep, that's why they did it.

It's all about generating buzz about your product, if it sells more magazines then it worked.

I can see why they put her on there... it's gotten people talking and three's no such thing as bad press right? On the other hand, I disagree with the choice when there are a few lookers on the LPGA that would have been a MUCH more relevant choice. I know Anya Alvarez seems to be putting up the biggest stink about it on my social media feed (former Big Break and new to the LPGA this year). She has some valid points on the subject.

My biggest gripe is that there is a notion that it has to be a very attractive woman. It's a fitness issue. Get somebody on the cover who has an interesting regiment that golfers can do at home. Don't put a spoiled brat fiancee of a PGA Tour Golfer who has a lot of undelivered potential. Especially don't put that spoiled brat in a sports bra and take pictures of her addressing the ball. It's a golf related fitness issue. Make it about that. Not some trollop with no discernible golf skills.

Why was she on the cover? I mean, not why she was really on the cover (sales/press), but what was the story? Is the article about her dating a pro, or being a "famous" recreational golfer, or her impact on the game in some fashion? Just curious what they're trying to pass this off as...

Why was she on the cover? I mean, not why she was really on the cover (sales/press), but what was the story? Is the article about her dating a pro, or being a "famous" recreational golfer, or her impact on the game in some fashion? Just curious what they're trying to pass this off as...

I think it's a fitness issue so they are highlighting her.

When was the last time there was so much buzz about a magazine cover for Golf Digest?

Yep, that's why they did it.

It's all about generating buzz about your product, if it sells more magazines then it worked.

I completely agree with your sentiment. Doesn't mean that the move has to be accepted. It feels really cheap to me. Really cheap. Almost like they didn't even try to make me believe it was about golf.

Agree with JB on this one.

There are plenty of LPGA touring pros and Symetra pros that are into fitness and would have made just as great of a visual impact as Ms. Gretzky. I'm a little disappointed that this is who they went with.

My biggest gripe is that there is a notion that it has to be a very attractive woman. It's a fitness issue. Get somebody on the cover who has an interesting regiment that golfers can do at home. Don't put a spoiled brat fiancee of a PGA Tour Golfer who has a lot of undelivered potential. Especially don't put that spoiled brat in a sports bra and take pictures of her addressing the ball. It's a golf related fitness issue. Make it about that. Not some trollop with no discernible golf skills.

Yep.

Plus, you could clearly see that she was using a made-for shaft. Total amateur hour.

I could be way off here, but Golf Digest isn't a PGA Tour publication. This really isn't the same thing. It'd be like if a "football related" website or magazine put a celebrity significant other on the cover...a prospect that I think doesn't even stretch the imagination.

This is a great point, JB. However, I don't think you can compare GD to the NFL, as one is just a media production, and the other is the league and governing body of the sport. If the USGA or PGA Tour had a magazine and put Paulina Gretzky on the cover, then that would be a huge problem. Ultimately, GD is in the business of selling advertising and subscriptions, and they think this was the way to do it most effectively.

Would it be better if I said Pro Football Weekly puts Paris Hilton on the cover?

Would it be better if I said Pro Football Weekly puts Paris Hilton on the cover?

That'd be a better apples to apples comparison.

I think that what they did was cheap, but ultimately they are trying to sell their product. I'm wondering how this will affect their relationship with LPGA players.

I also think comparing Golf Digest to Pro Football Weekly is a bit of a stretch - I think we can all agree Golf Digest isn't something based totally around reporting PGA Tour/Professional Golf news. How about the Anna Benson cover of the Sporting News? Is that really all that different?

http://bit.ly/1gtLEg3

I am not a big fan of this decision, nor when they did similar with Holly Saunders. I guess they are targeting a specific demographic to move a few more copies, but seems like a risk of alienating quite a few female subscribers. If the intent of the female is to show fitness, could they not have found an attractive LPGA tour player to highlight instead?
Golf Digest may see short term gains, but it may do long term harm to their brand. Could the LPGA be in the drivers seat on this issue, refusing to grant GD any access/interviews for the forseeable future? I think they should do so ...

Additionally, the mere fact that the first LPGA player they put on the cover will be the first LPGA on the cover since 2008 (IIRC) would make a splash in and of itself, so attractiveness wouldn't even be a factor.
ddec said:
I'm sure I will be in the minority of this one. But from the neck up, she does nothing for me.
Same here.

I got a copy of this issue from an event I attended last night, and GD could have easily had the same content with a relevant LPGA golfer. Interview with minimum golf content and a full spread with some core exercises you can do to get fit.

Additionally, the mere fact that the first LPGA player they put on the cover will be the first LPGA on the cover since 2008 (IIRC) would make a splash in and of itself, so attractiveness wouldn't even be a factor.

I disagree with that completely. LPGA simply does not move product, so putting an LPGA player on the cover would do nothing for Golf Digest. Clearly, putting an attractive person with some small tie to the game of golf does wonders for them.

Back