2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 situps done. You have to love that at about 70 I was ready to quit and then Eye of the Tiger came on I heart Radio. If that doesnt motivate you nothing will. It was like having my own individual Puttin4Bird stand over me and ridicule me into doing more.

I am down over 27 lbs since I started eating better and working out on a regular basis back in Jan. Only 8 lbs shy of the goal I set myself for July. I feel so much better and would love to reach my goal by May. It should be fairly simple to accomplish once some warmer weather hits and I can chase the kids around outside.

That is a crazy good number! Keep at it!!

100 situps done. You have to love that at about 70 I was ready to quit and then Eye of the Tiger came on I heart Radio. If that doesnt motivate you nothing will. It was like having my own individual Puttin4Bird stand over me and ridicule me into doing more.

Eye of the Tiger is awesome, but related to that...I have always hated running...always. But with music, I've lately found it enjoyable. Working out without my tunes is a no no.

So all you guys wanting to push that mile, rep, session more...find the soundtrack that works for you, and push it.

Eye of the Tiger is awesome, but related to that...I have always hated running...always. But with music, I've lately found it enjoyable. Working out without my tunes is a no no.

So all you guys wanting to push that mile, rep, session more...find the soundtrack that works for you, and push it.

When I used to go to the gym I always found it difficult to keep motivated without some music - it is a bit difficult to play badminton with earphones in but when we go jogging we both have music playing

I have also found that by listening to mixes that are one continuous track it takes my mind off how long I have been jogging as well - yes, the app we use always cuts in to tell you when to change from running to walking to running and when you have reached the halfway point, but by not having breaks in the music tracks I find the time just flies by and we tend to reach the end of the session quite quickly

I have to try the continous track thing. If I run at home a quick short run, I have a certain playlist, I need to be at a certain checkpoint during a certain song to keep the pace and I know If I get home before a certain song has started I was faster than normal. Makes it slightly more interesting. But if course if you run for a hour, it might be better to lose track of time :)

I have to try the continous track thing. If I run at home a quick short run, I have a certain playlist, I need to be at a certain checkpoint during a certain song to keep the pace and I know If I get home before a certain song has started I was faster than normal. Makes it slightly more interesting. But if course if you run for a hour, it might be better to lose track of time :)

I agree, if you had a set route and playlist, then you can guage where you are at based on what track is playing at certain points

The app we have been using is the C25K one which works on an interval training philosophy of building up the endurance over a period of weeks by varying the time spent running/walking, with each session only being around 30-35mins with the intention of you being able to run 5K (approx 3 mile) at the end of it at roughly 10mins per mile which, for someone who hasn't done much in the way of running, is not a bad goal I think

To give you an example, the first week alternates between 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. This changes to 90 seconds jogging and 2 mins walking in week 2. Week 3 is 90 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking, 3 mins jogging, 3 mins walking. Week 4 then has you jogging more than walking and so on until you are running for the full 30 mins or so at the end

So for me, it is much better to have a continuous track playing while doing this training

I agree, if you had a set route and playlist, then you can guage where you are at based on what track is playing at certain points

The app we have been using is the C25K one which works on an interval training philosophy of building up the endurance over a period of weeks by varying the time spent running/walking, with each session only being around 30-35mins with the intention of you being able to run 5K (approx 3 mile) at the end of it at roughly 10mins per mile which, for someone who hasn't done much in the way of running, is not a bad goal I think
To give you an example, the first week alternates between 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. This changes to 90 seconds jogging and 2 mins walking in week 2. Week 3 is 90 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking, 3 mins jogging, 3 mins walking. Week 4 then has you jogging more than walking and so on until you are running for the full 30 mins or so at the end

So for me, it is much better to have a continuous track playing while doing this training

Along these lines, I found this yesterday, going to try it out. https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/burn-fat-fast-sprint-recover-repeat-192500027.html

I've never been a runner per se,when I stepped up from walking on the treadmill to running/jogging, mixed with weights, I saw the results I wanted. As others said, the right ipod mix can make all the difference. I am getting back to that and I will be making an appointment with a nutritionist. When the kids came along, I fell into the trap of eating whatever we could that was easy to make...usually starches and carbs. Time to treat those meals as occasional rewards vs my daily sustenance.

Yup. That song has got me through many a run dude ahaha

Seeing this put a smile on my face today. I think 180 is my new goal but that may be too low.

gy8agyzy.jpg

Look at that steady drop. Hell of a job Erik!

I'm thinking 185 for me as a dream come true weight by July, but 190 would be fine too, with the understanding I'd just be looking to get further down afterwards.

Seeing this put a smile on my face today. I think 180 is my new goal but that may be too low.

gy8agyzy.jpg

Way to kick ass Captain. Kiss those love handles goodbye! #TeamParadise doing work. #LeadingByExample

Good job captain!!!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Went to a great seafood place last night, but went with peel and eat shrimp with no butter. Its one of my favorites and the calorie savings certainly beat the other two choieces I was looking at. Gym yesterday went well and this morning awoke at 5am to get some situps done. Its coming along nicely and my regular routine is pretty much in place now.

Up for my morning run. Will do five miles in the hills and then do some light shoulders, triceps, and core. Maybe some biceps too for the wifesky.... Just have to see how I feel after the run.

Howdy folks, first time to this thread. When I first entered college, our cross country coach put us all on a scale. I weighed 128 pounds at 5'10. By the time I graduated, I had "bulked up" to 145 and could run a 4:07 mile. This morning, (~20 years later) I weighed in at 193 and I doubt I could run a mile in under 10 minutes. I told my wife I'm done gaining sympathy weight, and I need to be happy with what I see in the mirror ... so I'm savoring my last diet coke as I write this and am switching to water from here on out. That is going to be tough. We're also switching to a healthier diet. We have gotten away from having healthy dinners, and usually resort to eating out and doing it in an unhealthy manner. It all stops today. Hopefully you guys can keep me accountable. Wish me luck!

Dinner for tonight is a couscous with cantaloupe and apple salad in a balsamic vinaigrette served over a bed of lettuce. We'll wrap it up with a brisk walk after dinner. Maybe take the dogs along with us.

Howdy folks, first time to this thread. When I first entered college, our cross country coach put us all on a scale. I weighed 128 pounds at 5'10. By the time I graduated, I had "bulked up" to 145 and could run a 4:07 mile. This morning, (~20 years later) I weighed in at 193 and I doubt I could run a mile in under 10 minutes. I told my wife I'm done gaining sympathy weight, and I need to be happy with what I see in the mirror ... so I'm savoring my last diet coke as I write this and am switching to water from here on out. That is going to be tough. We're also switching to a healthier diet. We have gotten away from having healthy dinners, and usually resort to eating out and doing it in an unhealthy manner. It all stops today. Hopefully you guys can keep me accountable. Wish me luck!

Dinner for tonight is a couscous with cantaloupe and apple salad in a balsamic vinaigrette served over a bed of lettuce. We'll wrap it up with a brisk walk after dinner. Maybe take the dogs along with us.

We can sure try to keep you accountable. It is nice having this thread and feeling like I should have something to post in here everyday. Still some snow on the ground here but the streets are clear enough to maybe get the bikes out and go for a ride. Still in the 40's so I will need to bundle up a little.

We can sure try to keep you accountable. It is nice having this thread and feeling like I should have something to post in here everyday. Still some snow on the ground here but the streets are clear enough to maybe get the bikes out and go for a ride. Still in the 40's so I will need to bundle up a little.

This is one if the biggest issues for me right now. The weather. I hate running in the cold

So after the first few days of being more responsible, I am down 2 pounds.

I just got done chopping up some bacon, bell pepper, onion and broccoli for some egg white omelets for breakfast.

I have an idea on my calorie count to meet my goal, I just need to keep on the exercise bit. Been doing some research on a simple exercise plan I can follow and will implement it this week as well.

Well the golf wasn't enjoyable yesterday as far as the swing and score went, but it was good to get out and get some more exercise, but I think I did a bit too much last week as I started to suffer with my back stiffening up last night so I will be taking it slightly easier this week as I do not want to set my back problems off again

Will probably still be running a couple times and only the one night of badminton this week as I am playing golf again on Sunday for my final handicap card I need and I am putting the bad swing yesterday down to the fact that my back was giving me problems

On another note, Jen decided she was going to join Slimming World last week so she went on Thursday evening and after going shopping at the weekend we have had some very nice meals based on the plan, that were very tasty yet not really any more trouble to make than what we would normally have

Saturday we had home-made burgers with Morrocan wedges and salad, then last night we had sticky glazed chicken with noodles

It is all about being sensible, but we didn't eat too bad anyway, but some slight changes to our diet should help that little bit more

So after the first few days of being more responsible, I am down 2 pounds.

I just got done chopping up some bacon, bell pepper, onion and broccoli for some egg white omelets for breakfast.

I have an idea on my calorie count to meet my goal, I just need to keep on the exercise bit. Been doing some research on a simple exercise plan I can follow and will implement it this week as well.

I like it Punchy. Simple is key. Don't want to do too much too quickly and burn yourself out. That's why so many people who make New Years resolutions to go to the gym fail. They go from doing nothing to trying to do too much. We are all here for support my good man.

Ran my 10k yesterday in 58:38 for a 9:18 pace. It felt good to bust it hard for that long. My previous best just back in October was 1:06:40. Even though my weight loss has slowed in the 250s after 70+ pounds I am in the best shape of my life and continue to get fitter everyday.

Ran my 10k yesterday in 58:38 for a 9:18 pace. It felt good to bust it hard for that long. My previous best just back in October was 1:06:40. Even though my weight loss has slowed in the 250s after 70+ pounds I am in the best shape of my life and continue to get fitter everyday.

Congrats Jason. I was thinking about you yesterday. Beautiful day for a run.

Congrats Jason. I was thinking about you yesterday. Beautiful day for a run.

It was amazing that we were running in the middle of Newark but Branch Brook Park is not only huge but it is an oasis.

I am just now recovered from Thursday night's lower body workout. That thing messed me all up. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have walked/carried a hilly course Saturday morning, but still. Some big golf plans this coming weekend, so I'm going to do core tonight and upper body Wednesday, but no lower body until next week. Need them legs to play golf.

It was amazing that we were running in the middle of Newark but Branch Brook Park is not only huge but it is an oasis.

Yeah man. Its a beautiful park. Just dont go there when its dark out...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back