New clubs or lessons?

Dave9600

Reaction score
Handicap
11 ish
Hi all my first Thread so lets see how it goes

I started golfing again this year after a break of 2-3 year. I last played properly when I was 15 and now I'm turning 18 I decided it was time to start up what I love doing again, I am still regaining some level of consistency and can currently shoot anywhere between 75ish up to 87/88, also I'm still using the same clubs I bought aged 14ish and am now older and stronger

My current set up is:

Offset Cobra s2 driver (Regular) - Goes left! also worried because I'm starting to draw the ball back to centre, so the face must be so open at contact and I'm worried that learning to hit this club is having a -ve impact on my swing
Taylmormade Burner Superfast 3 wood (Regular) - Unsure on this club; if I put a smooth steady swing on it I get a controllable fade/slice, and if I go after it more then I can get a nice draw which sometime borders on the hook
Mizuno mx fli-hi hybrid (Regular) - Nice workable rescue, like the shaft in it
Cleveland CG gold irons 5-9 graphite (Regular) - Nice irons can work them easily and don't need to go after but are quite old, maybe something new would give me better results
Cleveland CG15 50 and 56 wedge - fairly new purchases
Nike VR Pro wedge 60 - Nice
odyssey Mini Marxman - Not fussed about changing it at the minute

It's my birthday soon and I would appreciate any opinions on whether I am better getting a few new clubs and if so any suggestions? or trying to get some lessons and improve with what I have? I cant afford both unfortunately :(

Thanks in advance

The new tech is certainly nice but man if you're in the 70s and have high rounds of 88 I wouldn't change anything haha

Hi all my first Thread so lets see how it goes

I started golfing again this year after a break of 2-3 year. I last played properly when I was 15 and now I'm turning 18 I decided it was time to start up what I love doing again, I am still regaining some level of consistency and can currently shoot anywhere between 75ish up to 87/88, also I'm still using the same clubs I bought aged 14ish and am now older and stronger

My current set up is:

Offset Cobra s2 driver (Regular) - Goes left! also worried because I'm starting to draw the ball back to centre, so the face must be so open at contact and I'm worried that learning to hit this club is having a -ve impact on my swing
Taylmormade Burner Superfast 3 wood (Regular) - Unsure on this club; if I put a smooth steady swing on it I get a controllable fade/slice, and if I go after it more then I can get a nice draw which sometime borders on the hook
Mizuno mx fli-hi hybrid (Regular) - Nice workable rescue, like the shaft in it
Cleveland CG gold irons 5-9 graphite (Regular) - Nice irons can work them easily and don't need to go after but are quite old, maybe something new would give me better results
Cleveland CG15 50 and 56 wedge - fairly new purchases
Nike VR Pro wedge 60 - Nice
odyssey Mini Marxman - Not fussed about changing it at the minute

It's my birthday soon and I would appreciate any opinions on whether I am better getting a few new clubs and if so any suggestions? or trying to get some lessons and improve with what I have? I cant afford both unfortunately :(

Thanks in advance

Lessons by the sound of it. Can't think that any amount of new tech will sort out swing faults. Sounds like you must have a lot of ability, but maybe not consistent enough yet? Best wishes..

Lessons by the sound of it. Can't think that any amount of new tech will sort out swing faults. Sounds like you must have a lot of ability, but maybe not consistent enough yet? Best wishes..

Thanks :) yeah I think lessons may be the sensible thing to do but all these new clubs look very tempting haha

New clubs or lessons?

Ultimately I think you're leaning toward new clubs but is advise against it and get lessons

Ultimately I think you're leaning toward new clubs but is advise against it and get lessons

Yeah might have to make a compromise, maybe a driver and a course of lessons as I do feel that currently it is the hook of the tee that keeps landing me in trouble
I've been looking at last years Nike Covert driver which is around £110 in the UK, so may be a good compromise

Yeah might have to make a compromise, maybe a driver and a course of lessons as I do feel that currently it is the hook of the tee that keeps landing me in trouble
I've been looking at last years Nike Covert driver which is around £110 in the UK, so may be a good compromise

I very nearly bought the Covert 2.0 the other day. It was really good, and people speak very highly of the previous model. Have you got somewhere local where you can hit it. Depending on a number of factors you really want to make sure it, and the shaft, are suited to you and your swing...

I very nearly bought the Covert 2.0 the other day. It was really good, and people speak very highly of the previous model. Have you got somewhere local where you can hit it. Depending on a number of factors you really want to make sure it, and the shaft, are suited to you and your swing...

It does seem like a very good club, not too sure on the differences between the old and new one?
I've got an American golf quite close so i'll go down and hit everything below £150 I guess, don't really want to go over that though as the advice seems to be to spend my money on lessons

It does seem like a very good club, not too sure on the differences between the old and new one?
I've got an American golf quite close so i'll go down and hit everything below £150 I guess, don't really want to go over that though as the advice seems to be to spend my money on lessons

I got my speed blades from them and the first question they asked me was about what I wanted to spend. So if you give them a max, you should be able to use their launch monitor to find the best set up for your swing and budget, with no obligation. Good luck...

I got my speed blades from them and the first question they asked me was about what I wanted to spend. So if you give them a max, you should be able to use their launch monitor to find the best set up for your swing and budget, with no obligation. Good luck...

Thanks, there does appear to be quite a bit in my price range so should have abit of choice

Lessons have a higher return on investment

Lessons have a higher return on investment

Yep, I do think its probably the sensible thing to do

My only worry is that I've never had a lesson and I don't want my swing completely changing, more fine tuning to try and improve the consistency
Do pros tend to try and work with what you have or go at changing some fundamentals?

I can't speak for what all the pros do and don't do, however, in you interviewing process for a coach/instructor I'm sure you can voice your concerns of a complete rebuild. Open communication is key to starting the process out on the right foot.

I can't speak for what all the pros do and don't do, however, in you interviewing process for a coach/instructor I'm sure you can voice your concerns of a complete rebuild. Open communication is key to starting the process out on the right foot.
Absolutely...

Lessons.

Lessons themselves wont do much. If that's the route you decide to go you have to put the work in to make them effective. You have to decide what you want from the game and then make your decision.

Lessons, your instructor can also give advise about your current set and let you know what you need to start thinking about.

Yeah I would definitely want to avoid a complete rebuild in the search of a text book swing. My swing is certainly not perfect but it does seem to work most of the time

Lessons its a no brainer..... Lessons always before clubs. plus if you change your swing you might need different clubs anyway so Lessons then Clubs.

Yeah I would definitely want to avoid a complete rebuild in the search of a text book swing. My swing is certainly not perfect but it does seem to work most of the time
I'm thinking with the lesson choice towards the end of that if your instructor/coach is able to do a fitting, so at least from that point going forward you can have a solid equipment plan. As BuckJob said....with lessons your equipment needs may change some.

Everyone is gonna say lessons, and that is of course the sensible answer. I'd still buy the clubs though.

I'm going with both, I think you can find a set of last years clubs at a really good price and have enough left over for a couple lessons to revisit the fundamentals, I think both are needed and chances are if you have the old clubs you won't be as motivated to get out and play or practice as much.

I'm inclined to say lessons, mostly because I don't think your gear is that old, and because I think tightening up your swing as much as possible will mean, when you do buy new clubs, you can get an accurate fitting and have a better idea of what works.

As I take lessons and improve my equipment ponders seem to diminish! Maybe upgrade your driver to something more neutral and find an instructor you get along with. A good Pro likely does equipment fittings and could definitely get you headed in the right direction for new equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My head says lessons, but the club ho in me says buy clubs. I'm going to advise on the lessons.

Back