Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

Those are my buggers with lofted wedges anyway. I'm sure many can relate.

Anymore left at that price? :D

Yep, right here....the price will show up when you select Buy Now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2013-Cl...90701658437?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item5af7a23145

I don't think there's a shot around the green that you can't hit...but it seemed like you talked yourself out of hitting good ones before you even swung that day. Again, just my observation from one round.

Thanks for the good words buddy....I have noticed I spend too much time thinking "dont hit it there" instead of "hit it there" if you know what I mean.

How does the 58 work on tight lies/hard pan type stuff?

It works well, though I usually prefer to C wedge in that position. What I have found is that if you just focus on committing to the shot, don't decelerate, and don't look up you'll nip the ball just fine with the S.

I'm surprised that Cleveland did not come out with a 50 - 52 degree model. It could be something they add to the mix later as popular as the first two clubs are.

I'm in the same boat. I love this clubs as a chipper, but have not made the leap to turn into a 1/2, 1/4 swing club.
Consider my ponder ON regarding 1/2 and 3/4 swings with the C. I had used it, in my one round, as a chipper only...but if I am able to spin the C from a little further out, it could prove very beneficial for me.

I bolded that last part, as it can't be overlooked IMO. It is the first thing I noticed when picking up the C wedge, and the shorter club length further implements the point & shoot feeling to me.

See the thread titled "Which Cleveland Niblick" for more insight on these type clubs...

Some great feedback in here recently. Important to note that as more people try them more real feedback is available. Hard to offer that without doing so first.

For those playing the C wedge, what is the rest of the wedge setup in your bag?

C and S. I have the PW and GW that came with my set. The PW is for full shots of about 100-110. The GW has become irrelevant in my bag. If I needed to make a spot in my bag it would be the first to go.

Cayyring the C wedge forced me to drop my 3 wood, which was probably a good thing. As you can see from my signature, I consider it a seperate club like a putter that does not fit into a loft gap system. Along with the C, i still carry PW, DW, SW, and the S. For me it works, cause I will save more strokes with the C than I ever will with the 3 wood.

Cayyring the C wedge forced me to drop my 3 wood, which was probably a good thing. As you can see from my signature, I consider it a seperate club like a putter that does not fit into a loft gap system. Along with the C, i still carry PW, DW, SW, and the S. For me it works, cause I will save more strokes with the C than I ever will with the 3 wood.

In my opinion this is exactly how it's intended. In fact all of the Niblick lines prior to this were done this way despite others using them differently. These are clubs to alleviate issues and they do very well at it.

BTW, I got my first bunker shot of the year. From about 15y I put to 5' from the hole. Drained the putt for a sand save par. There are no practice bunkers anywhere near me so this was the first swing out if the sand period. Just took a straight stance with the ball in the middle of my feet, and a normal swing. Popped right out. The S rules the sand.

In my opinion this is exactly how it's intended. In fact all of the Niblick lines prior to this were done this way despite others using them differently. These are clubs to alleviate issues and they do very well at it.

I hada situation come up with this. My partner tried the C on the first tee and was impressed, but in the end the commentary was more of "I can't use a chipper, it's for people that don't know how to chip" types. On the 4th hole, I am pin high off the fringe in the rough, he is 5y off the green in the fairway. We are about equidistant from the hole. His wedge shot goes flying past to 20'. My C wedge gets me to within 3'. I just really don't understand the rationale of people that think this will somehow hurt their game with the results staring them in the face.

You have such interesting comments in favor of the (2) Smart Soles and yet your WITB signature indicates you are using a "very conventional" 4-wedge setup with (3) Cleveland RTX Wedges and your ironset's PW. So did you actually ever have Smart Soles in your bag, only to dump them because you decided the 4-conventional wedge set was better your game???..
:confused2:

I do recommend the Niblicks very strongly, but thats because I actually use them myself and have done so for years now...

:act-up:

Last edited:
E G O QUOTE=rbarthle17;2938705]I hada situation come up with this. My partner tried the C on the first tee and was impressed, but in the end the commentary was more of "I can't use a chipper, it's for people that don't know how to chip" types. On the 4th hole, I am pin high off the fringe in the rough, he is 5y off the green in the fairway. We are about equidistant from the hole. His wedge shot goes flying past to 20'. My C wedge gets me to within 3'. I just really don't understand the rationale of people that think this will somehow hurt their game with the results staring them in the face.[/QUOTE]

E G O QUOTE=rbarthle17;2938705]I hada situation come up with this. My partner tried the C on the first tee and was impressed, but in the end the commentary was more of "I can't use a chipper, it's for people that don't know how to chip" types. On the 4th hole, I am pin high off the fringe in the rough, he is 5y off the green in the fairway. We are about equidistant from the hole. His wedge shot goes flying past to 20'. My C wedge gets me to within 3'. I just really don't understand the rationale of people that think this will somehow hurt their game with the results staring them in the face.
[/QUOTE]

It won't hurt their game (rather help it) but it may hurt their pride. Why be vain when something can make the game easier?

The only clubs I use from 70 meters in are the S and C if I want to take the aerial route I use the S if I want to chip and run I use the C. As they say in the add short game made easy.

You have such interesting comments in favor of the (2) Smart Soles and yet your WITB signature indicates you are using a "very conventional" 4-wedge setup with (3) Cleveland RTX Wedges and your ironset's PW. So did you actually ever have Smart Soles in your bag, only to dump them because you decided the 4-conventional wedge set was better your game???..

I do recommend the Niblicks very strongly, but thats because I actually use them myself and have done so for years now...

I am in the fortunate position to have every single club on the market each year. I try every single club that comes out. Its my job to give feedback to the best of my ability through testing with THPers, strangers and myself with the use of the golf course and the launch monitor on the range.

I dont believe in ever condemning a product without trying it. I also dont believe in recommending one without trying it. Its what THP was built on. Just as bringing equipment to the people in the form of THP events to try. Its the basis for this site along with the wonderful reviews of equipment and this community.

I think that the majority of comments about these clubs are that they are great for the type of player that they are aimed at just because JB isn't using them doesn't mean they are not a good club. He probably has more skill than us mere mortals and doesn't need to use them.

The Smart Sole was on display today for me. It is without a doubt my go to club for a number of shots. The amount of spin I get out of it is ridiculous, and the fact that I can manipulate the face and ball position in my stance for so many different types of shots is incredible.

This wedge just works. I had my reg 58* in the bag today as well (588 RTX 58*) and alternated with the two a bit to see if there was anything one could do that the other couldnt, and there was not a thing that the Smart Sole couldnt do that I needed it to.

I think that the majority of comments about these clubs are that they are great for the type of player that they are aimed at just because JB isn't using them doesn't mean they are not a good club. He probably has more skill than us mere mortals and doesn't need to use them.

FWIW, the reason its not in my bag right now is because I played with a THPer that was really struggling out of the sand. He hit this a few times very well, so I took it out of my bag and gave it to him.

I believe I will just order one of these and give it a try, I mean it's not like it's expensive. I would rather get one in hand before doing that, but NE Wisco is not on the golfing map.

FWIW, the reason its not in my bag right now is because I played with a THPer that was really struggling out of the sand. He hit this a few times very well, so I took it out of my bag and gave it to him.

You sound like a fair dinkum good bloke JB good on ya mate :)

You sound like a fair dinkum good bloke JB good on ya mate :)

Dinkum good bloke huh? Hmmmm sounds pretty cool ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back