Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser - THP Preview

That is exactly what I am seeing with the Spider Si testing. Albeit if you don't trust the stroke the weight isn't going to get it there for you.

How are miss hits off center from long distance?

Solid, the WHP insert is quite good even on misses.

Yep, have worked on long distance lags with it a good bit. To me, you still have to utilize the same stroke you would with a standard putter, much like the guys in the Tank thread are talking about you can't expect the weight to get it there alone, additionally the dampened sound off of the WHP takes some acclimatization from long range but when you commit to the stroke and finish your stroke its shown very nice accuracy thus far both in aim and overall distance.

Yeah, this is exactly what I've found with the Tank. Once I realized that it's just a normal stoke, I started to feel a lot more comfortable on longer putts. Counterbalancing works as advertised, as far as I'm concerned, and the cruiser looks like a great way to dial in feel.

Yeah, this is exactly what I've found with the Tank. Once I realized that it's just a normal stoke, I started to feel a lot more comfortable on longer putts. Counterbalancing works as advertised, as far as I'm concerned, and the cruiser looks like a great way to dial in feel.

I would agree, and I'll add, I think the grip makes a LOT of the putter. Its a tremendous fit and a great design pairing on their part.

Love all the tech put into this one. This looks like a head shape I would enjoy but do wish it had a line on that front edge for alignment.

More important than a line though is how this thing rolls, I'm all in on CB's and while I wish it was a straight shaft I still want to roll it.
What difference would a straight shaft make, Cookie? Would it affect perception of straight line, or is that just a personal preference?

This seems confusing with all of the adjustment. Would the user have to rely on trial and error with various combinations or are there typical standard settings.

Sweet looking putter. I'm already sold on the WHP insert. I like all the weighting options here. Going to have to give one of these a roll when they become available.

I really like the adjustability of weights in both the head and grip! This may be my next Odyssey as I am going quite a collection!

What difference would a straight shaft make, Cookie? Would it affect perception of straight line, or is that just a personal preference?

Its all personal preference, Cookie is a lot like me in that a center shaft fits our eye and stroke the best overall. Plus the lack of offset is nice.

This seems confusing with all of the adjustment. Would the user have to rely on trial and error with various combinations or are there typical standard settings.

Not really confusing, all about the balance and feel the user prefers, easy to switch out and you notice a difference in the feel immediately.

Sorry didn't see this until now. James is correct, all personal preference.

I'm a math/number/angles guy and the straight shaft I just prefer due to being square etc. although I have had some success with non straight shafted putters.

This insert is just something else for me.

Been rolling it on the Tour Links this morning and have already taken the weights up to their max at both ends, its quite the setup.

Oh, my.

I'm seriously pondering that putter. I like the look of the v-line head, and the superstroke grip is a very nice addition as well. The adjustable CB is a remarkable addition to this line of putters.

I like the insert as well. As much as I want to love the MXM face (and I really do want to love it), I think I'm ultimately an insert guy.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on how this one performs, James. I'm particularly interested in the long distance control.

I'm going to get this out of the way now so I can focus on the putter design and the CB tech from here on in, the insert is really damn good. There is a reason it gets the play it does on the tour, its evident to me each time I come back to using the WHP insert. Fast greens, slow greens, doesn't matter. LOW muted sound leads to a very plush feel at impact and a very pure roll.

That's out of the way, so, I got out for 9 and some putting green time with this one today. The headshape is nice, very similar overall shape to the putter I was finishing up review time on when this one arrived today. The weights are going to be a lot of fun to tinker with as time goes on for this one, I played with the 30g in the grip and the 20g's in the head and it was insanely well balanced and felt like it wanted to complete the stroke on its own. Alignment with the head is simple with 3 lines in the flange and it sets up nice behind the ball and the topline is wide enough to really let you sense if you are square at setup or not. Lastly the grip is fantastic, but I'm a SS guy.

More as I get more time with it of course. If you have q's please don't hesitate to ask.

Been rolling this one a good bit lately indoors and out and the entire setup is extremely solid, I've been a big fan of the science behind counter-balance putter for sometime but this just takes it all to another place IMHO. Tinkering with the various weights and the impact they play on the overall feel through the stroke has been interesting to say the least, as I expected I seem to roll it best at max weight on both ends but it is interesting to try all the various options.

The V-Line is just a solid all around mallet headhsape, its not super flashy, but its balanced and that is huge in a mallet.

And the insert, well, I really don't need to say much about that.

I would really like to get to roll the other 3 models, I'm extremely curious, especially about the #7.

Solid, the WHP insert is quite good even on misses.

Sorry for the delay and group insert thoughts, I still have mixed feelings on the feel of the insert on the tank, maybe I'm just too used to non inserts. But I agree it does seem to help on miss hits. It does perform.

I really love my V-Line that I have now, but with the Tank design, and weights...I bet they are money. I've always felt the V-Line is easy to line up, the feeling is great as well, so the weight on the Tank line has to take next level.

I really love my V-Line that I have now, but with the Tank design, and weights...I bet they are money. I've always felt the V-Line is easy to line up, the feeling is great as well, so the weight on the Tank line has to take next level.

Its definitely a very easy to set up mallet, I'm not a big mallet fan but this one for some reason has been really nice to my eye. Still trying to figure that out.

Had a day 1 on 1 with this one on 9 holes and the putting green after to gather some more answers to a few things I had. Its a solid putter, honestly probably the most well done counter-balancing out there and I'm not sure its close. That's what keeps hitting me with it, you can tell that as they said they didn't want to just slap weight on and go with it. Very interesting to me, I love R&D in putters, its exciting.

Just a solid mallet design, its just an incredibly balanced shape.

Mentioned in ponder thread, but I wanted to make sure it ended up in the correct thread for full discussion.

One of the things that intrigues me about the CB putters is that they are a little longer and may promote better posture for taller players. Even though you're gripping down on the shaft, I would think that the CB putter would have you standing taller than a conventional 34 or 35 putter.

James, have you noticed this? We're around the same height.

Mentioned in ponder thread, but I wanted to make sure it ended up in the correct thread for full discussion.

One of the things that intrigues me about the CB putters is that they are a little longer and may promote better posture for taller players. Even though you're gripping down on the shaft, I would think that the CB putter would have you standing taller than a conventional 34 or 35 putter.

James, have you noticed this? We're around the same height.

Was just headed over here from that thread brother.

For me, yes, it absolutely does. I was fit to a 36" putter but even at that length I feel like I get in a habit of choking down a bit and then my posture goes to crap, with this I can "choke down" and feel comfortable. I know some say its hard to keep your hands in the same place or they start gripping too high but I've never had that problem (plus, its easy to put a little sharpie dot on the grip if thats the case IMO). But, to head back to the main Q, absolutely, IMO its an aid to good posture.

Had an extremely good day on the practice green and playing 9 today with this one, especially from long distance. The shape just aligns quite well to the eye, big without feeling massive.

Really really like the look of this. Really want an opportunity to have a put with one.

Jman, I was wondering if you've had a chance to check out any of Ping's counter balanced putters? I found that I personally liked their feel (particularly balance) better, so was interested to see if you had a directed comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jman, I was wondering if you've had a chance to check out any of Ping's counter balanced putters? I found that I personally liked their feel (particularly balance) better, so was interested to see if you had a directed comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've not rolled their CB'd ones, but I've used a TON of CB's putters. In the end it'll always come back to personal preference, particularly with the insert vs not. That said, I adamantly believe no one has put as much though into counterbalancing as Odyssey with this line, its not just weight added, its thought out well and that is very cool to see for me as a big putter-geek.

Putting this one on paper right now, its an interesting flatstick. Obviously, those who don't like counterbalance won't have much interest at all in the full 38" models, but the fact that they offer them in standard 35" length and with the weight kit still should catch some eyes. Its a very effective weight setup, easy to alter, easy to feel the difference in the stroke, and CB combined with the WHP insert is quite a tandem too.

This one has me eyeing the #7 now. I just cannot get it out of my head.

The weight's are very intriguing to me in.

This one has me eyeing the #7 now. I just cannot get it out of my head.
I think that would be amazing, maybe a Versa Tank Cruiser #7!!!

I actually opted to go with the 35" version rather than the longer 38" version in my #7. I rolled a TMaG DLL last year in a 38" version and found that it would occasionally snag the bottom of my shirt and throw off my putting stroke. Super annoying. I tried out the 35" DLL and it just didn't feel right. The balance and feel of the Odyssey is phenomenal compared to other CB putters I've tried out. Whether you go 35" or 38" in this line I don't see how you could be disappointed.

Mind if I ask how tall you are?

@Jman - Compared to your CB SeeMores, do you think that there is more or less weight in the head and grip?

Back