Cleveland 588 TT Irons Preview Thread

I really want a 5-7 set of these.

You could have them soon if you so choose haha

I bet I could lol. I need to look around, because I'm seeing really good things right now out of the 8-PW with the MCI shaft.

I bet I could lol. I need to look around, because I'm seeing really good things right now out of the 8-PW with the MCI shaft.

Nice man. These aren't off my radar. Not as high up as a certain set, but absolutely still on the list

So I went to play 9 holes late on Friday afternoon. I went with an old bag with the 16's as I have not played to many rounds lately due to some back issues and wanted to get back into the swing of things. I did replaced the 4 and 5 iron with the TT's. I wanted to see If the TT long irons were as sweet as the 16's long irons.

I was starting to hit fairways again with my old driver with the stiff shaft but my back started stiffening up and on the par 4 6th tee I decided to quit after the hole. I hit a drive to the middle of the fairway and had about 155m left to an elevated green. I decided to pull the TT 5 iron as I did not want to swing to hard with my strained back.

As I stood over the ball I decided to swing at it the way I always swung at it at the range, trusting my muscle memory from pounding thousands of range balls. I turned my shoulders and then it happened- I saw The Path again, the path I see when I stand over the ball with a long iron. I fired my right side along the path at the back of the ball and the e6 took at the flag like a bullet fired from an elephant gun at a roof squirrel. It became a .44 slug fired from The Most Powerful Handgun in the World by Dirty Harry at Goldfinger, and was going to hit him right between the eyes with such force that he was about to become Platinum Arse. I watched in awe as it disappeared over the hill holding my finish as if I were a skater performing Swan Like on Ice. I had delivered a devastating blow with awesome precision and I was in perfect balance poised for greatness. Tour Trajectory indeed! Hogan was The Man but I was The Dude!

I limped up the hill and 3 putted from 7m for a 5, got in my car and drove home. I will have to spend the next 2 weeks on the couch but I'LL BE BACK with the 588 RPG's

Some great analogies with that 5 iron you hit...congrats.

Even with my pondering, I'm still very much ready to play these guys. Have consistently been hitting the 8 iron in practice along with my AP1's and what I'm seeing is that there's really no adjustment. Very similar in many ways - GI properties with a look that I really like. Feel is differen in some wayst, though center contact is very nice on both. Noticing that the Recoil 670's are an option makes me very curious as well. I'd go 6-DW, or possibly 5-DW and add the MT 6 iron.

Even with my pondering, I'm still very much ready to play these guys. Have consistently been hitting the 8 iron in practice along with my AP1's and what I'm seeing is that there's really no adjustment. Very similar in many ways - GI properties with a look that I really like. Feel is differen in some wayst, though center contact is very nice on both. Noticing that the Recoil 670's are an option makes me very curious as well. I'd go 6-DW, or possibly 5-DW and add the MT 6 iron.

I wouldnt mind trying them with a few different shaft options. In my time with my set I just dont love them, but maybe its the shafts.

Ive pondered 5MT as well and either a 4 MT or hybo

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind trying them with a few different shaft options. In my time with my set I just dont love them, but maybe its the shafts.

I've enjoyed them more since the Fuji's went in there for sure. I can see what you are saying with the feel more now having hit a larger variety of 2013 irons. Either way though - they are on-par for distance and forgiveness and look good at address to me, so if this line is my choice I'll be fine.

I've enjoyed them more since the Fuji's went in there for sure. I can see what you are saying with the feel more now having hit a larger variety of 2013 irons. Either way though - they are on-par for distance and forgiveness and look good at address to me, so if this line is my choice I'll be fine.

Yeah I think shafts will certainly help, and maybe I didnt give them a fair shake after gaming the DPC's prior to that

Yeah I think shafts will certainly help, and maybe I didnt give them a fair shake after gaming the DPC's prior to that

I had been gaming the RocketBladez so they felt like a pillow lol.

It just depends. Covering all potential scenarios!

Still really lovin my set of 588 TT's... ordered mine from Cleveland Golf with Project-X 5.5 shafts and Blue/Black Golf Pride NDMCC Grips...

:act-up:

Last edited:
Right now this is likely my MC choice unless new offering come out. The good news is I have owned and played them in the past--so I know the iron well. Will be interested to see shaft options!

Right now this is likely my MC choice unless new offering come out. The good news is I have owned and played them in the past--so I know the iron well. Will be interested to see shaft options!

Same. I'll have comfort if this is the avenue we go down.

Comfort is always a good thing. Makes sense.

So a month into having my 588 TTs I'm loving them so far. I've gone from averaging 4 GIR per round to 8-9 GIR my last couple of rounds. Especially notice the improvement on par 3s, where I have either hit the green or fringe on all but one par 3 the last few rounds, with the one miss being dead on line for my target but came up a foot short and rolled back into a bunker (was an aggressive 9 uphill, should have choked down on an 8 probably). A number of those have been inside 15 feet giving me some very clean looks at birdie. The extra forgiveness is great only playing a couple of times per month, but they are very accurate and workable if needed. A little harder to fade than my old R9 TPs, but I'm a drawer anyway. Trajectory is much better and they hold into the wind much better. A lot of it could be the combination with the Steelfiber i110s, but either way the combo is fanastic for me. I was overswinging wit them a bit early on the first couple of rounds, but have learned that a controlled 80% swing with the TTs gives me the same distance but more control. And I love the 4 iron off the tee on shorter par 4s - very confident it will go straight and around 190 yards no questions asked.

That's a pretty dramatic improvement right there. Other than shaft/head, did you have anything else done differently with these over your old set? Length/lie, etc.

That's a pretty dramatic improvement right there. Other than shaft/head, did you have anything else done differently with these over your old set? Length/lie, etc.

No, I'm standard length and light. Went from hard-stepped KBS Tour regular to the Steelfiber i110 Regular. Slightly lighter, but not drastic. Lower launching. Tigher dispersion. Less ballooning into the wind. Same great feel. The heads I went from the R9 TP to the 588 TT, so they are one club stronger loft - my new 8 iron is the same loft as the old 7 iron, so of course I hit each iron "one club longer", but the big thing is the added forgiveness - ie the forgiveness of an 8 iron in the loft and distance of a 7.

Better feel from the TTs vs the R9 TPs, too. Softer, more muted sound. FORGED! blah blah blah :) Between the shafts I can hardly tell a difference in feel. I loved the soft feel of the KBS tour, but the Steelfibers feel as good or better (to be expected). I never would have thought I'd love a "graphite" iron shaft so much in my mid-30s.

The GIR improvement is mostly from the proper fitting (Club Champion). We found my old set was off just enough that I was fighting the hook every few shots, which made me guard against it and block every few shots off to the right, so I was 25% left, 50% on target, 25% right. After narrowing everything down now I have mostly eliminated the hook and block and can just hit them straight or with a small draw (a few yards) without fear of the hook. I still put bad swings on the ball (I'm a 14 that plays twice a month now, it happens) but I know that a proper swing with produce proper results, whereas before it was to the point where even on what I felt were good swings I would end up with bad results. Swings change over time, so should the clubs, right?

That's great info Penn. What's your comfort level typically been with a 5/6 iron (in the past) and are you happy you went the TT route vs say the MT in the longer irons?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but it's all good info to have out there. My experience has been that the MT's were sort of not needed so much because these pack a good deal of forgivness and launch anyway.

I had gotten the point of hitting my R9s quite high, even in the long irons. Last full round I played with them I hit a high cut 4 iron from 185 that reached the tops of the pine trees, for example. I could hit a low hooded draw, but everything was generally on the higher side. I didn't want to go into the MTs for fear of having the same issue. I get plenty of height on the 4-6 irons in the TT with the Steelfibers for me to hold greens on par 3s if necessary, without getting too much air for using the 4 off the tee on tight par 4s. Plenty of forgiveness. My big miss will be to get steep and hit it a little fat - nothing can cure that in a clubhead, but on slight offcenter shots I find these lose very little distance.

As for measurable performance, now that I'm comfortable with the new irons/shafts:

All time par 3 average scoring: 3.9
Last two rounds par 3 scoring: 3.1

All time GIR: 26.1%
Last two rounds GIR: 47.2%

Once I get my putting ironed out I'm very hopefull to break 80 and drop

Right on man. Thanks for the info.

Good feedback Penglynns!

Back