The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has actually made me go and hit the range more bc I know I can still get a few holes in, its so damn nice.

Yeah man definitely worth it. Glad to hear you're getting to do that

Had another lesson (#3) this afternoon and all went well. My instructor is very pleased with our progress on what he has me working on. Most every change has been very subtle, from set up, to posture, to swing plane, to tempo. Everything so far has been aimed at me having a relaxed, repeatable swing, every time. A simple change to my pre-shot routine and how I step into my stance has helped make sure my weight is evenly distributed, for instance, in stead of a little off the back foot. Then, it's a simple matter of just turning on a firm, stable right knee and leg which quite naturally allows a lot of power to be stored with very little effort (a Freddie Kong tip, by the way, in one of his valuable tip threads). While still a work in progress, the swing feels very good and was quite impressive yesterday for 12 holes in a local tournament until I lost some focus and bogeyed five out of the last six to shoot 81. I have to admit though, I keep waiting for the big A HA! that lets me hit the drive another 30 or 40 yards. Maybe that will come later, but, for now I think we're on the right track.

#DoWorkDotCom

Got out to LeRoy today. Only played 7 holes because 2 and 3 are still under water. Being outside is way different than playing inside and or hitting of a mat. I didn't hit any fat oddly enough, but I did take a few rather deep divots. I didn't want to play, but my buddy damn near begged me to go out with him. I told myself I wasn't going to get out on the course before having some range sessions. I'm glad I got out there tho it was nice to be on the course and hit some shots. I'm about 99% sure my range will be open this weekend tho, so I'll be spending some time there before going out again.

Drills, Drills and more setup drills for my spi program. Talk about work!

Hit the range for a little over an hour. Worked on some things from my lesson this past weekend and generally hit the ball pretty well before getting tired. Also worked on a 50-60 shot, trying to fly it to the hole. It's a shot I have struggled with lately and am still not totally comfortable with it.

Had another lesson (#3) this afternoon and all went well. My instructor is very pleased with our progress on what he has me working on. Most every change has been very subtle, from set up, to posture, to swing plane, to tempo. Everything so far has been aimed at me having a relaxed, repeatable swing, every time. A simple change to my pre-shot routine and how I step into my stance has helped make sure my weight is evenly distributed, for instance, in stead of a little off the back foot. Then, it's a simple matter of just turning on a firm, stable right knee and leg which quite naturally allows a lot of power to be stored with very little effort (a Freddie Kong tip, by the way, in one of his valuable tip threads). While still a work in progress, the swing feels very good and was quite impressive yesterday for 12 holes in a local tournament until I lost some focus and bogeyed five out of the last six to shoot 81. I have to admit though, I keep waiting for the big A HA! that lets me hit the drive another 30 or 40 yards. Maybe that will come later, but, for now I think we're on the right track.

#DoWorkDotCom

I like it, I like it a lot...keep it up buddy

#DoWorkDotCom

Sounds like a good plan for improvement, keep it up!

I debated going to the range or walking 9 but focusing on partial wedges to dial in those distances, using the SR2 ball. I ended up walking 9, and it was quite productive. Off the tee, I was acceptable. I was having good results focusing on taking the club back less on the inside as we covered in my last lesson. On each hole, I played about 5 balls into each green from yardages ranging 65-105 yards. I got a good handle of what my 3/4 swing gets me with each wedge. The SR2 balls reacted well, one hop and stop on most shots. Skulled a few wedges, which I think was due to rushing into my downswing.

I holed one LW from 51 yards, which was a highlight. Also hit a nice 5w off the deck, carried 215 and managed to hold the green as well. Overall, a good practice session.

Sounds like your game is really coming together nicely Alek, good stuff.

Sounds like your game is really coming together nicely Alek, good stuff.
Thanks Danny. I feel like I've definitely been improving, and all the work put in during the winter is paying off.

Had a lesson last night. Continued to work on tempo and turn. I am struggling not to swing to hard at times but it's getting better. Used video too so I'll be able to see my mistakes clearly on film. I'm playing 18 tomorrow; goal is to strike it crisp and clean up my pitching and chipping. If I score well that's a bonus but I'm going to have fun regardless.

I'm watching you DCHawk.

Hahaha I just saw this. No golf today. Baby nursery honeydoo list stuff that needs to be taken care of. Going to play tomorrow morning and Sunday morning. Weather is gorgeous and I have been chomping at the bit to get back out there after last weekend.

Hahaha I just saw this. No golf today. Baby nursery honeydoo list stuff that needs to be taken care of. Going to play tomorrow morning and Sunday morning. Weather is gorgeous and I have been chomping at the bit to get back out there after last weekend.

Can't wait to hear how the games shaping up! Good luck with your rounds this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Spent an hour or so hitting balls at a range off some awesome mats.

Started off shaky, everything thin and blah. Then once I started to focus I began making real solid contact. Nice high trajectory with my Apex 7I primarily. Really focused on slowing down the swing and allowing my hips to turn on the downswing. With that I was a little left on a lot of shots, id say 5-7 yards so need to spend some more time on alignment.

Didnt hit driver much as the tee was not very high on the mat and I hate hitting out of stalls, always feel like Im constricted and never make good swings. Might try to sneak out this evening and work on some short game.

Looking forward to the course tomorrow.

Looking forward to a much need range session outside tonight. The past week, minus Tuesday, has consisted of indoor practice working on consistency and tempo. Trying to really work on my release as the remaining piece of my new swing change.

Spent an hour or so hitting balls at a range off some awesome mats.

Started off shaky, everything thin and blah. Then once I started to focus I began making real solid contact. Nice high trajectory with my Apex 7I primarily. Really focused on slowing down the swing and allowing my hips to turn on the downswing. With that I was a little left on a lot of shots, id say 5-7 yards so need to spend some more time on alignment.

Didnt hit driver much as the tee was not very high on the mat and I hate hitting out of stalls, always feel like Im constricted and never make good swings. Might try to sneak out this evening and work on some short game.

Looking forward to the course tomorrow.

Are you able to implement what your lessons have been giving you? Do you think the new habits are starting to click?

Are you able to implement what your lessons have been giving you? Do you think the new habits are starting to click?

I think so, im obviously not there fully but I do see myself trying to correct things we have been working on. While there are 2 major things we have been working on, there are a few "smaller" items we are tweaking as well. So while its not ideal probably for me to have that many thoughts going on in my head, Im treating it as an extended lesson and really focusing making these changes now.

Best part is since the lessons have been pretty repetitive I can tell when Im doing something wrong and what needs done to fix it. First time ever my lessons +range time has exceeded playing on the course. Looking forward to my last 8 or so lessons and especially the ones focusing on short game.

#PracticingWithAPurpose
#JorneyToBetter

Spent my lunch hour at the course on the practice putting green. Took my pitching wedge and putter and just worked on getting up and down from all over the place. Im working on getting out of the habbit of grabbing my 6o degree wedge when I am around the green. Working on getting the ball on the ground as quickly as possible and letting it run to the hole. Pitching Wedge and 9 iron are working out pretty good so far.

Breaking out of work soon and going to do some putting and chipping. Going to lay off the range today. Wife and I have adoption classes on Saturday, so maybe I'll hit the range on Sunday.

J4U and I took the swing caddie to the range before and after our round. It was eye opening with carry distances.

Had another 200 ball session today, but today's session went much worse than the other day. I still worked a bunch on the "stop and go" drill, but I just could not transfer that feel over to regular swings. Nothing feels quite right at this point, and the distance gains that I was seeing with my wedge on Wednesday were not there today. It was a little disheartening, but I just need to stick with the program. I'm still struggling with drawing the ball too much on full shots and not knowing how far back to take the club on the backswing. I guess part of the difficulty is knowing whether I'm doing the drills right, and how to get the drills to transfer over to my full swing.

Also, our range has a short game area that finally opened up, but I was told that we could only putt since the green is so soft. It was a bummer because I thought I was flipping a little at impact on full shots, I wanted to hit a bunch of chip shots around the practice green to get the feel of my hands being ahead of the ball at impact.

Just hit another 200 balls at the range. 100 partial wedge shots and 100 full swings.
I didn't really miss hit more than a handful but I wasn't as sharp as I've been lately.

At the end of the bucket it was a fun time, and my swing felt good.

Had a good practice time tonight with bhilln. Did range time then short game. Irons were good, hybrids were good five wood good. Driver still slicing and fading. Then on to short and got some sand time and Brian helped me there. Was getting the ball dialed into the flag. Thanks for that Brian! Will see if it works tomorrow

Watched some vids on swing plane today during my lunch break (including a few from Monte Scheinblum that have been discussed in other thread here recently), and taking a few practice swings made me realize that I've been pretty darn steep, with my shaft up around my neck, vs my shoulder. So I made a lot of slow practice swings, feeling like I was going slightly more around my body instead of UP. I decided to sneak to the range on the way home from work and see what might happen. The first 10 balls or so were terrible with my 9i, just topped, thin, you name it. I slowed down and just tried to feel like I was making a nice easy swing a bit lower than I'm used to, and things started getting much better. I was hitting nearly straight irons down to my 6i, then my 5i and 4i had a bit of a fade, maybe a yard or two. Very different than my usual fade. My hybrid was just wonderful. I don't think I've ever hit a hybrid better than I did today with a slightly flatter plane, just 190-200 yard line drives, dead straight. Driver was so-so, I think because the rubber tee I had in my stall was higher than I normally liked & I had a few pop ups that went 100 yards. But the ones I hit, I hit well. Time to see if I can take that to the course!

Had a good practice time tonight with bhilln. Did range time then short game. Irons were good, hybrids were good five wood good. Driver still slicing and fading. Then on to short and got some sand time and Brian helped me there. Was getting the ball dialed into the flag. Thanks for that Brian! Will see if it works tomorrow

You'll be sticking them tight tomorrow, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back