Interesting case study for slow play today

hampshire2012

Reaction score
Handicap
Bit of an aside, but is anyone else curious to see how long McIlroy's round takes today? He's playing on his own, off first and is notoriously both a quick player and walker.

Might just be me but I'm intrigued to see how fast he actually plays. If he gets round in under 4 hours it be quite clear evidence that okay can speed up.

What do you all think? And does anyone know of how long it takes players in this situation on previous occasions?

Happens once every few tournaments and they always play incredibly fast as a single.

There will be a marker playing with Rory but I'm sure they'll be faster than two professionals would be.

He better be faster than 4 but knowing that play is slow behind you not sure why he would. If you get a crappy lie or a funky putt take the extra practice swing or look at the putt.

What's a marker and who is it? I
Assuming it's someone who didn't make it in(member) playing along to keep group appearance.

He better be faster than 4 but knowing that play is slow behind you not sure why he would. If you get a crappy lie or a funky putt take the extra practice swing or look at the putt.

What's a marker and who is it? I
Assuming it's someone who didn't make it in(member) playing along to keep group appearance.

Yes. A marker can play, but that is not required. Here's an article from last years Masters.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/apr/14/the-masters-jeff-knox

Apparently this year it's Jeff Knox again...Rory needs to play good, Mr.Knox holds the course record, 61 (!), from 2002.

That'd be a good guy to have playing with you, a solid solid stick and knows the course.

I had never heard of a marker until this morning. It is pretty crazy that he shot a 61 from the members tees and his best from the tournament tees is a 69. I know there is added pressure from all of the spectators but that just shows how difficult the tees are for the tournament.

Looks like he's already 3 holes ahead of the 2nd group. He's thru 11 and next is thru 8.

Check that...thru 12, 4 holes ahead.

Already done. 3hrs 15. Possible that his marker picked up a couple of times of course but clearly no excuse for a two ball to take more than 4 hours.

Would love to know how many holes his marker played out.

At least the entire front 9, the marker beat McIlroy by two shots on that side.

Just read that the marker shot 70, McIlroy shot 71.

Thanks ary!

How do you feel feel as a pro that an Am just beat you by one and he didn't even qualify for the tourney. Granted the marker is a very solid stick and a member at the course.

Think he plays everything out, maybe picking up the odd 1 footer. If he was hacking around the trees I guess he'd pick up, but the guy just went round in -2 so I doubt there were any big numbers!

3hrs 5 is the official time... surely this is significant in some way for pace of play?!?!

Think he plays everything out, maybe picking up the odd 1 footer. If he was hacking around the trees I guess he'd pick up, but the guy just went round in -2 so I doubt there were any big numbers!

3hrs 5 is the official time... surely this is significant in some way for pace of play?!?!

It's a nice demonstration of what a quick player can do when he isn't realistically in the tournament and has no pressure and no one in front of him. I don't think you can read anything more than that.

Probably good is wasn't Sneds out with the Marker--would have been 2:30 round! That guy just walks up and hits it!

This was really interesting and really cool.

Thanks ary!

How do you feel feel as a pro that an Am just beat you by one and he didn't even qualify for the tourney. Granted the marker is a very solid stick and a member at the course.

The marker was an Augusta National member who holds the amateur course record. He has shot a 61 at AN.

That blew my mind when I read it.

Pretty good read in here. I had no idea what a marker was before this thread.

First of me hearing or knowing of said marker as well. That would have been a fun round to follow.

Cracking thread this one! Had never heard of a marker before, and now it seems that they come out on top fairly regularly! Great story in the linked article about him outdriving Miguel Ángel Jiménez a couple of times. Living the dream!

Back