THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question everyone. I had inputted my last 4 rounds from last year into the USGA Handicap tracker back in January when I paid for 2014. I put in my most recent round from FL last week and after the first revision I am sitting at an 11.3 index. Hey that's all fine and dandy, but I have not shot 11 strokes over par any time I have been out. In fact, my best was a +14 (86) back in August.

The scores that were inputted were an 86, 88. 87. 93 and 105. The slopes from those scores were, 127, 136, 140, 116 and 132. Is it due to the courses being a bit harder (from a slope perspective?)

I am just trying to figure out how I am an 11.3 index when I haven't ever hit that number. Here's the link to my profile: http://www.ushandicap.com/golf-handicap/scores.asp?userID=1739613

Brad, this chart might help. The reason your cap is that low is that when you have only entered 5 or 6 scores, they use your lowest ONE differential to calculate your handicap. As the chart shows, the more you enter, the more it starts to use an average of your various scores. Your 11.8 is from your combined 9 holes at Harbor Ridge in August/October.

Currently at 9.5 and trending downwards. My goal is to get under 8.0 by the end of the season.
Funny that we have the exact same handicap & goal. Good luck to you!

My current GHIN hcp is 13.3. My goal this year is to get it to single digits. Im a consistent mid 80s kinda shooter. A month or so ago I finally got myself fitted for the first time. Now I have to get the feel for the new clubs and work on some minor flaws in my swing. Have an instructor I have been working with for a couple of years now. The major flaw in my swing right now is that I come over the top too much cause at the top I drop my hands out instead of down. I am so dominant with my right hand that even when I dont mean to do it the right hand is a little too strong compared to the left.

I did shoot a 77 and 79 two years ago from the whites so I know it is there. My putting has extremely improved as far as speed goes. Play this past weekend and struggle on the back 9 to shoot a 90. The biggest positive was I only had 31 putts and had a couple of birdie putts just lip out. I do need to develop some feel for my short game. It used to be very strong but it hurts me a little.

I do like that I thinking a little smarter around the course which I can tell saves me some strokes. Just need to get longer and more from the inside. In the next week or so I am starting the Joey D program to focus on my golf game and hope that helps

milehighgolfer
14.2 ghin
single digit by end of season.

My goal last year was to take my 18 and turn it into a 15. I did better than that as I reached a 12.4. I have since trended up to a 14.2 but I should be able to get it back to the 12 range soon. To reach single digits I will have to improve on proximity to the hole from 100 yds and in. I'm either missing the green or leaving myself long putts from this distance when I should be setting myself up to score. These wasted opportunities are what cost me those 4-6 strokes every round. I plan on working on my PW on down as much as possible when I have access to a range and also learning/practicing more creative ways to approach these shots. Yesterday I showed kc720 how he could hit a 9i punch from 60 yards instead of a full lob wedge. Afterwards I realized that I don't do that as much as I should if at all.

Mine has soared over the last 18 months to over 6. It is going to go even higher before it gets lower thanks to some great rounds of even par coming off and 3-5 rounds in the 80s staying on.

The last 3 rounds have been solid, so that is a start to get it back where I need it.

Thanks Donne, I think it's giving me a little too much leeway. Lol.
But remember the baseline slope is something like 115, so 4 of the 5 scores were on courses considered pretty darn hard for bogey golfers (not "a bit" harder as you characterized it).

Currently sitting at a 6.4 after putting in several old scores, don't feel at all like a 6.4 though. Need to go play more unfamiliar courses, sadly while school is still in that is difficult. As soon as school lets out though the plan is 3 different courses a week, at least.

Currently sitting at a 6.4 after putting in several old scores, don't feel at all like a 6.4 though. Need to go play more unfamiliar courses, sadly while school is still in that is difficult. As soon as school lets out though the plan is 3 different courses a week, at least.

No lie. I am consistently impressed by how much all of the testers and reviewers keep improving and get your handicap that low with how often you're changing equipment.

No lie. I am consistently impressed by how much all of the testers and reviewers keep improving and get your handicap that low with how often you're changing equipment.

It honestly just becomes kind of second nature, a few swings to acclimate and go. Some clubs won't fit, but they still work.

Lessons have been my biggest thing helping here though, I'm an idiot for waiting years before doing this.

I feel you on this one. I have not been playing to my number but because I know the greens so well at the course I play I stay low.

But remember the baseline slope is something like 115, so 4 of the 5 scores were on courses considered pretty darn hard for bogey golfers (not "a bit" harder as you characterized it).

I appreciate the compliment, but I don't like to make excuses. I want my play to travel well and the only way that is going to happen is to play harder setups. Whether that is new courses or playing back, I am going to continue to push myself out of my comfort zone.

Name - TheDoctor (aka Glenn)
Handicap - None yet

Aim for the year

First objective is to obviously get my cards submitted to my club to get an official handicap and then I will be working on dropping that as far as possible during the year playing in the club competitions whenever I can - last year I was hovering just under 17 so assuming my official handicap lands around there to begin with, I would like to try and drop 5 strokes

Plan for dropping the handicap is two-fold

First is to work on my short game now that I have access to a short game practice area at my new club as it has been difficult to practice certain types of shots on the 'normal' range area - distances I can work on, but the touch shots around the green aren't possible
Second is to put more practice into putting as this has been severely lacking over the last couple of years (and my club has 2 practice greens I can use)

Ok, got the third round in yesterday that was needed for my handicap so the three rounds have been 81, 95 and 91 - the conditions for the last two rounds have been very very difficult with the ground and wind conditions, so taking all of this into account the club have said they will put me down for......

Handicap - 14

This works out slightly lower than when I entered each of the scores into an online tracker, but I am happy with the decision they have made and it gives me a good start for the year - all I need to do now is sort out my swing and I will be in a good position to start working on bringing that handicap down even further

So not a bad start to my first official handicap :D

Since I haven't taken a lesson in almost a month, and I have only played one round that was not at a THP event, my index is trending up. Played Saturday and post an 89, which would be why I am trending in the wrong direction. I'm not worried though. I talked with my instructor Friday an explained to him my issue. He says that we will address this this week. Funny thing is, what he has been working on with me has finally started to sink in. My usual issues on the course were not my issues Saturday. Bad choices on shot selection were my issue this past weekend. May need to get in another round before going to see him.

Nothing will change until after the update due to work and weather. Put in four more rounds and trending from a 10.3 to a 9.8.

I have a couple more rounds in. One bad and one good.

Currently at 2.9. Trending to 2.5 after the 73 yesterday.

Still, only 15 rounds in the system.

My adventurous round yesterday has me holding steady on the trend line and should maintain 9.2 on revision day. It sure is time for a break out round though.

11.3 will probably stay right around 11.3 as I've been slightly higher than an 11 with scores, but slope has brought them down a bit.

Sitting at a 17.3 with a trend to 17.3. I feel like I'm figuring things out but just need some time before the scores start to reflect it. The new swing is producing much more consistent ball flight but I've lost some distance and I need to realize I need to club up at least for the time being. In still very much a work in progress.

Tomorrow will be the first revision day for me. Got plenty of rounds in, not one's that I am happy about but hey it's the start of year and I am trying my new golf swing that I have been working on. Once I get my short game better and just play smarter and not use driver on every hole my scores will drop. Will work on the short game alot this week and will strive to drop that handicap # that I will get tomorrow.

I can kiss my goal goodbye already. Two rounds in the mid 80s last week killed me. I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. Nothing has been working as of late.

I am going the wrong way with my handicap right now

Continuing to trend down, from 22.1 to 21.4 as of tomorrow. Almost there, and still improving. Just a matter of getting my putter in a groove, and I'll get way down in no time.

Continuing to trend down, from 22.1 to 21.4 as of tomorrow. Almost there, and still improving. Just a matter of getting my putter in a groove, and I'll get way down in no time.

Nice work man. Trending pretty well, plenty of time to get down. Keep up the good work.

My handicap is a 33.4
By the end of the year, I would like for it to be around 18. Right now, I can live with giving up one stroke per hole. My ultimate five year goal is lower. Ultimately I want to get south of 10.

To get there I will practice putting more, take the time to actually play more (by playing nine holes before work two days a week), and master my mid and long irons. Oh and also incorporate more stretching and "golf muscles" into my exercise regime.

I already practice 6 days a week (living on a course helps).

Still at 6.1. I will be getting out next week to put the mettle to the test. Can't wait to see where I am at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back