TaylorMade SLDR S Driver & Metal Woods

I know you don't comment on prerelease equipment Josh. So I won't beat this dead horse too much. But I do think it would be interesting for Taylormade to flat out say the Jetspeed was an oops and that this line is to replace it and cover a different demographic. Now, to just assume that Taylormade released the Jetspeed and then quickly reacted and put together a new club is a different story. I am ok saying I am wrong on something, but I don't trust internet rumors from random forum members.

Regarding timeframes, I don't really know. My gut tells me this was in the works for awhile anyway, but there have been some interesting steps leading up to this. A flat line on the RBZ equivalent, which did very well. The SLDR being bascially re-marketed in a number of ways since its release. Sales numbers.

What I don't want to see is another price point line, which the JetSpeed clearly was to me. If this offers a good amount of variety for different types of players, everybody wins. If it's another JetSpeed, I think TM has some bigger issues going on they need to deal with or they risk losing some long term staying power at the top.

Regarding timeframes, I don't really know. My gut tells me this was in the works for awhile anyway, but there have been some interesting steps leading up to this. A flat line on the RBZ equivalent, which did very well. The SLDR being bascially re-marketed in a number of ways since its release. Sales numbers.

What I don't want to see is another price point line, which the JetSpeed clearly was to me. If this offers a good amount of variety for different types of players, everybody wins. If it's another JetSpeed, I think TM has some bigger issues going on they need to deal with or they risk losing some long term staying power at the top.
Do you think this is a sign of TM floundering?

To me, it kind of seems like TM is grasping at straws and just throwing ideas around to see what sticks, both from a Marketing standpoint and an equipment standpoint.

I am not defending Taylormade, the SLDR, or the Jetspeed. FWIW. I want to make that clear. I like options. Golfers like options.

To me, it kind of seems like TM is grasping at straws and just throwing ideas around to see what sticks, both from a Marketing standpoint and an equipment standpoint.

There is a feeling that Taylormade hasn't addressed the largest part of the bell curve. I just wonder when the "#1 driver on tour" fails to hold its power over the masses.

I'll have to see the line first, but yes I do get the sense that they are scrambling a bit. Really though, what have they done in the last two years? Aside from SLDR, which was a big bust for normal ams in my opinion, there's hasn't been much of anything from them in terms of innovation. Then you look at what is happening around them. I'd be scrambling too.

I am not defending Taylormade, the SLDR, or the Jetspeed. FWIW. I want to make that clear. I like options. Golfers like options.

I like options too and definitely never complain about timing of releases. I think them doing this is a good thing, assuming it's a line that has some innovation and a little bigger target audience.

I haven't gotten a chance to try the Jetspeed driver yet but I have the hybrids and really enjoy them. What makes the driver so bad just wondering? Or is it just lack luster kinda thing?

I haven't gotten a chance to try the Jetspeed driver yet but I have the hybrids and really enjoy them. What makes the driver so bad just wondering? Or is it just lack luster kinda thing?

It was strikingly similar to the SLDR. Low forward CG, very low spin, and not much more forgiving on lateral misses....at all IMO. It didn't differentiate itself performance wise or target audience wise from the SLDR.

It was strikingly similar to the SLDR. Low forward CG, very low spin, and not much more forgiving on lateral misses....at all IMO. It didn't differentiate itself performance wise or target audience wise from the SLDR.

you would have thought they would have released an ulta low spin and then something to compliment it. Instead I think they released 2 similar spin style clubs that will not work for the other 1/2 of the market.

It would be awesome of the S driver came in at 44". making it forgiving driver package, and the SLDR was the bomber.

For me, the problem was the lack of forgiveness. In previous years you had the RBZ and RBZ Stage 2 that were perfect for the average golfer. They had some adjustability, decent stock shaft offering (albeit a bit too long) and a very forgiving head. The JetSpeed was far too similar to the SLDR - it was essentially the SLDR without the sliding weight. The low and forward CG on the SLDR was present on the Jetspeed and it just didn't make sense really.

Even with the introduction of this alleged new driver, it creates an SLDR driver family (much like the BB Driver family) - though the lack of any adjustability on this new driver is head scratching. TM still seems to be lacking a driver that fits in the "Game Improvement" category and that is puzzling since that is where they have thrived in previous years.

you would have thought they would have released an ulta low spin and then something to compliment it. Instead I think they released 2 similar spin style clubs that will not work for the other 1/2 of the market.

The flip side to that argument is that its hard to market a flagship product and its goals of 17/1700 and then have another product that would be simply impossible to obtain that.

It is like the forgot the Avg player this year

The flip side to that argument is that its hard to market a flagship product and its goals of 17/1700 and then have another product that would be simply impossible to obtain that.

very true. If they are going to market the crap out of those numbers, they need the right gear to make them attainable. Guess I didn't look at it that way.

Regarding lackluster, I'd add that the crown design was basically the same as a 4 year old club and they went back to a lighter/longer thing that they sort of renounced.

This is a true point and one I know I have overlooked. When you put your emphasis on something like 17/1700 being ideal for EVERYONE and low forward being the way to achieve that, it wouldn't be all that wise to intro a product that is counterintuitive to that.

Regarding lackluster, I'd add that the crown design was basically the same as a 4 year old club and they went back to a lighter/longer thing that they sort of renounced.

I mentioned that Burner driver as soon as I saw it. Although I have no issues with the crown design.

For me, the problem was the lack of forgiveness. In previous years you had the RBZ and RBZ Stage 2 that were perfect for the average golfer. They had some adjustability, decent stock shaft offering (albeit a bit too long) and a very forgiving head. The JetSpeed was far too similar to the SLDR - it was essentially the SLDR without the sliding weight. The low and forward CG on the SLDR was present on the Jetspeed and it just didn't make sense really.

Even with the introduction of this alleged new driver, it creates an SLDR driver family (much like the BB Driver family - though the lack of any adjustability on this new driver is head scratching. TM still seems to be lacking a driver that fits in the "Game Improvement" category and that is puzzling since that is where they have thrived in previous years.

Gotcha, thanks for the info guys. I mean I can see why some people have issues with TM dumping out so many clubs especially if they are similar and not necessarily great. Like I mentioned I love my jetspeed hybrids but I happened to get a deal on them and im not sure I would of upgraded if say I had the stage 2 or something. I came from an old Burner Superlaunch that was meh.

Even with the introduction of this alleged new driver, it creates an SLDR driver family (much like the BB Driver family) - though the lack of any adjustability on this new driver is head scratching. TM still seems to be lacking a driver that fits in the "Game Improvement" category and that is puzzling since that is where they have thrived in previous years.

The lack of adjustablilty seem weird but until we see the driver it is hard to say for sure

I will say that if they put out something on the same level as the SuperTri I will sing their praises. That's the direction I think they need to go for a second line.

I will say that if they put out something on the same level as the SuperTri I will sing their praises. That's the direction I think they need to go for a second line.

I agree 1000% percent. I might even weep tears of joy.

Agreed. But how do they do it without tripping over their own words? The can't come out and say "we are releasing a more forgiving driver with slightly more spin"

For most that will work great for me i spun that thing way too much but it was a very forgiving driver

For most that will work great for me i spun that thing way too much but it was a very forgiving driver

The beauty at the time was that they had 3 options. Low spin, mid spin and high spin with the original R9 being the lower spinning of the three.

The beauty at the time was that they had 3 options. Low spin, mid spin and high spin with the original R9 being the lower spinning of the three.

I thought the SuperDeep was the low spin model
I played the Original R9 it was a great driver for me better than the R11 & R11s i should have never has sold it

Agreed. But how do they do it without tripping over their own words? The can't come out and say "we are releasing a more forgiving driver with slightly more spin"

People forget.

They told us light/long was the future with the Superfast series and two years later said the opposite with the RBZ line.

Back